BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion ARGH - the dreaded winter temp warning (how to disable?)

12-05-2023, 05:09 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

ARGH - the dreaded winter temp warning (how to disable?)

I should've asked this when I first got my car but subconsciously I figured it was a no-go, but, anyway, better late than never LOL. So, wondering if anyone has a hack to disable that annoying warning light/sound whenever it goes below 3C? I can't stand it and it gives me mild PTSD hearing that noise, as I associate it w all the past car troubles I've had.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2023, 05:31 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Hmm. Doesn’t bother me. Goes away pretty quickly.
Entropy89196.00
      12-05-2023, 05:40 PM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Yeah but "bong!" immediately makes me think that something is broken or about to break or has run out etc. I'm (generally) already fully aware that it's brass monkeys outside!

Not quite at the stage of wanting to disable mine, but definitely sympathise with the OP
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Lots of help you are, Dan.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 05:42 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Yeah but "bong!" immediately makes me think that something is broken or about to break or has run out etc. I'm (generally) already fully aware that it's brass monkeys outside!

Not quite at the stage of wanting to disable mine, but definitely sympathise with the OP
You are a kind sir. TY for your compassion.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 05:45 PM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448141
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2023, 05:51 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Tx man! I got excited but then I'm guessing I need an OBD reader or something? I wonder how much an indy would charge for this service?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 07:42 PM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

There's a chance Carly can do it? I've used it on 2 cars now, get rid of some gong noises, on screen disclaimers, and so on. I think they have a list of things that it can manage. Might not be worth it for just one thing, but you might find some other stuff as well. It's an easy DIY with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 01:17 AM   #9
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
You don't need a coding, you need therapy. Jk..maybe.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 04:28 AM   #10
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

I just lowered the volume in the menu. It doesn't shock or really bother me anymore since.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 04:55 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Tx man! I got excited but then I'm guessing I need an OBD reader or something? I wonder how much an indy would charge for this service?
Ah, yeah. You'd need bimmergeeks protool, or NCS expert, or maybe Carly (not sure), plus a suitable obd cable and phone/tablet/PC.

Personally I'd recommend bimmergeeks protool, plus the bimmergeeks obd cable and a USB otg adaptor - I think protool is Android only, mind. Solid investment for these cars. Can do all coding, register battery, diagnostics/fault codes, etc - and isn't bewildering like the factory/"standard tools" software.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 06:49 AM   #12
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Embrace it!
Unlike much of the crap on the new cars, the temp warning is there for a very good reason. As others have noted, if this brief interruption of your serenity bothers you that much, it might be you that needs some maintenance and not your BMW!
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1480.50
co_440i108.00
      12-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #13
chris_1001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Garage List
Move to FL?
      12-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I should've asked this when I first got my car but subconsciously I figured it was a no-go, but, anyway, better late than never LOL. So, wondering if anyone has a hack to disable that annoying warning light/sound whenever it goes below 3C? I can't stand it and it gives me mild PTSD hearing that noise, as I associate it w all the past car troubles I've had.
Listen to your subconscious. As BMW dumps their icons ever more quickly try embracing it.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-06-2023, 12:39 PM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Tx for the replies. Ok:

I'm not buying more stuff, I frankly wouldn't know what to do w a code reader (and don't want to learn since I'm not a car DIY guy and will still havta take it to the shop), so that's not an option.

I don't think I can lower the volume since I don't have idrive.

Ya, the winters are too long here but I still love Mtl overall.

Ya, perhaps I kinda need therapy LOL, that chime/light is so annoying!

I guess I figured correctly that given my circumstances, I'd just have to bear w it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 12:49 PM   #16
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

From experience, lowering the volume using iDrive doesn't work. The gongs (low fuel, too) are *always* shockingly loud. I can swear I've set/muted them with Bimmertools as well, but (a) I may be incorrect and/or (b) it may have reverted if I did.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #17
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

I totally need that temp. warning to remind me to slow down on the way to the ski mountains.

For me, all the parking alert beeping sound drive me crazy when I try to park my car. Maybe I am old school, I can parked my car perfectly just by using the 2 side mirrors without any high tech assistance lol
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 01:33 PM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuliman View Post
From experience, lowering the volume using iDrive doesn't work. The gongs (low fuel, too) are *always* shockingly loud. I can swear I've set/muted them with Bimmertools as well, but (a) I may be incorrect and/or (b) it may have reverted if I did.
Yup, and it doesn't help that the chime is the same for everything, so like Pavlov's dog, I associate it w my past car prbs lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I totally need that temp. warning to remind me to slow down on the way to the ski mountains.

For me, all the parking alert beeping sound drive me crazy when I try to park my car. Maybe I am old school, I can parked my car perfectly just by using the 2 side mirrors without any high tech assistance lol
Re your 2nd para, I feel the same but for that annoying temp warning...I don't need it, not as if I think I'm in Florida w sunny days and *BING* oh, I'm actually driving in Mtl during wintertime. I know already!
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1480.50
      12-06-2023, 01:45 PM   #19
jjFender
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I'm with OP, the cold temp warning is annoying and unnecessary. By the time the warning comes on, I would have long had winter tires on.

Thanks for the reminder that it should be possible to code it off in Protools. OP, if you are ever on a road trip to Toronto, send a message, I can help you code it off too.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2023, 02:07 PM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjFender View Post
I'm with OP, the cold temp warning is annoying and unnecessary. By the time the warning comes on, I would have long had winter tires on.

Thanks for the reminder that it should be possible to code it off in Protools. OP, if you are ever on a road trip to Toronto, send a message, I can help you code it off too.
Wow, tx in advance, so nice of you!

Please let me know if you succeeded doing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 10:01 PM   #21
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjFender View Post
It's not supposed to tell you winter is coming, it warns you that temperature has dropped from warm to cold while you are driving and ice may develop on the road.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15761.00
      12-07-2023, 07:06 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It's not supposed to tell you winter is coming, it warns you that temperature has dropped from warm to cold while you are driving and ice may develop on the road.
To really clarify the purpose of the warning. The warning is used to warn the driver there may be black ice on the road left over from overnight even after the air temperature has warmed above freezing. There can be locations on the road where the sun or air has not melted black ice on the road even though ambient air temps are above freezing. So, if the air temp near the surface of the road goes below 37 deg. F when the ambient air temp is above 37 the alarm triggers.

If you notice, the warning does not come on if the car is first started in air temps below 37 deg. It comes on only once the car measures temps above 37 then drops back down below 37 deg.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1