09-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Bavsound Experience

Hi all,

I've ordered BavSound for my 2017 X1 and I thought it is valuable to write a brief review here so other BMW fans may find it valuable.

First of all, Mini Cooper F5x and F48 X1 are using same 100% speakers but here is the trick

X1 Harman Kardon Bavsound Replacement : $797 - 10 Speakers
Mini Cooper F 5x Harman Kardon Bavsound Replacement : $397 - 10 speakers

I know some of you will say : Oh but are they same or different ? Honestly I don't know unless I compare both speakers side by side

Anyway, the box was damaged, 2 mid range pair boxes were opened - I took their pictures and contacted Bavsound. My first impression is like this is not a premium product at all. I will update here once I install those speakers.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmotorrad46 View Post
Hi all,

I've ordered BavSound for my 2017 X1 and I thought it is valuable to write a brief review here so other BMW fans may find it valuable.

First of all, Mini Cooper F5x and F48 X1 are using same 100% speakers but here is the trick

X1 Harman Kardon Bavsound Replacement : $797 - 10 Speakers
Mini Cooper F 5x Harman Kardon Bavsound Replacement : $397 - 10 speakers

I know some of you will say : Oh but are they same or different ? Honestly I don't know unless I compare both speakers side by side

Anyway, the box was damaged, 2 mid range pair boxes were opened - I took their pictures and contacted Bavsound. My first impression is like this is not a premium product at all. I will update here once I install those speakers.
I used to own a E82 135i with HiFi sound system. It had 8 speakers in total including the two subs from under the front seats. After 3 years of ownership, one of the midrange was making a strange noise, since I was out of warranty I started to look for HK retrofits. Needless to say, it involved a lot of changes and a lot of money to move forward. While searching I found out about BavSound.

So I pulled the trigger and purchased the stage one sound system. It added two new tweeters for the rear, whereas my car had the holes built in (tweeters connect directly to the mid range speaker, so no new cables were needed). I spent if I recall correctly $500 in total. It had 8 speakers (4 mids and 4 tweeters) now 10 in total including the subs. It took me less than an hour to install, and boy the sound difference was night and day. It had a huge kick and sound was a lot clear. The speaker themselves are better built, and the magnet is huge compared to the stock ones. This upgrade is a no brainer and I would recommend it to anyone who wants better sound in their cars, with minimum investment and installation effort. Plus, I believe the have an aggressive return policy where you can try the speakers and return them if you don't simply fall in love with them.

Now looking my wife's X1, I'm considering on purchasing it later on in our ownership.

Best!
CR

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for writing your experience.

I've installed the dash/center speaker and tweeter which seem ok for (maybe there is a break in period) and planning to install other speakers with sound deadening this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmotorrad46 View Post
Thanks for writing your experience.

I've installed the dash/center speaker and tweeter which seem ok for (maybe there is a break in period) and planning to install other speakers with sound deadening this weekend.
Yes, they do have a break in period. After a few hours of playback the sound keeps getting better and better. You'll love it. I didn't swap the subs, nor the amp, but if you still want more kick you can just swap the subs.

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have encountered an issue when installing both front speakers with tweeter.

Speakers stopped working for the front left and right. Right started to work but left one that I've installed today is still not working.

I emailed Bavsound support. Does anyone know this problem ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Speakers stop working for 30 minutes once I installed them with Bass stopper module that comes with BavSound.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I installed the speakers and subs from Bavsound back in August. Install was fairly straightforward, the door panels were super easy to remove, but accessing the underseat subs was not as easy as shown in their how-to videos. Had to remove some floor panels to get full access, but overall still worth it to do it oneself rather than paying a shop a ridiculous amount to install.

Initially the sound was better, but I was never really blown away by it. So next step was to upgrade the amplifier. I submitted an order to Bavsound and then around a week later was told that my F48 HiFi was not compatible with their Revenant amp.

I had already dumped $1,000 into the setup so it was either go back to stock or find an amp upgrade elsewhere. Looked at Bimmertech and found that their amps were non-returnable, aka all sales final. Then looked through F30 forums and came across the Match Up 7BMW amp from Audiotec Fischer. Come to find out that Bavsound simply tunes the Match Up, locks it, and then rebadges it at a markup. I found the Match amp on these forums and bought it at a great price. Installed yesterday and so happy with it.
Attached Images

10-31-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
CT BMWX1
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X1

I also just installed the same amp. Crutchfield listed it as not a fit for the X1, of course not true. Someone needs to address this misinformation. $200 cheaper on eBay. Also installed a pair of Match MS 4X-BMW.2 in the front doors. (Perfect fit but Crutchfield again lists them as not compatible). Finally tweeters! Already did the Bav woofers. Also very happy with the final result!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What tune did you load on the amp? I found several tunes on the F30 forums. Good stuff!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

did you guys change the code of amp after replace it?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Match amp is plug and play. Does not require coding. Just tuning
Appreciate 0