BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) ConnectedDrive - Weather, Yelp, Flickr Not Showing

10-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

ConnectedDrive - Weather, Yelp, Flickr Not Showing

Hi all,

Just picked up the ride -- and, coming from a 2018 BMW on the same iDrive system -- but for some reason my ConnectedDrive Apps aren't working.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 with Apps activated on the Bluetooth menu. Anyone else have this issue and/or know of a fix.

The BMW dealer was no help...so much for a 'genius'
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Have you installed the BMW Connected app from Play Store on your Samsung? I seem to recall that the ConnectedDrive apps did not work until I installed the Android app. I tried using the Spotify app, but it takes too long to start playing, so I just went back to good ol' Bluetooth streaming.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Here in Canada those apps run using the car’s built-in data connection and don’t need the phone app. My understanding is that the in-car ConnectedDrive apps require an active subscription to a ConnectedDrive service that includes them. Ours came with a 4-year subscription to a “ConnectedDrive Services Professional” package, including the online apps, RTTI, concierge, etc. that had to be registered to the car at delivery.

Assuming it’s similar in the US, maybe they skipped that step and your car doesn’t think it’s subscribed to ConnectedDrive? If you haven’t already, you should be able to check what services you’re subscribed to through the online ConnectedDrive store.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep

Yeah, so do I just log-in? For reference, I have access via my smartphone to these 'apps'
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

That's the way it works here - if you already have a ConnectedDrive account that you're using on your phone, you should be able to log in to the store and it'll show you what the system thinks your car is subscribed to. Could be it's all kosher in there but it's the first place I'd look.

I don't have the app on my phone (heck, my phone isn't even paired to the car) and I still have the weather, news and Wikipedia apps (all I've tried so far) working fine in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

When you picked up your BMW and have the ConnectedDrive option, your BMW dealer should have registered your car and you get an account on the BMW ConnectedDrive website:

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.ca/ap...x.html#/portal

There are a number of ConnectedDrive apps in the car. Some apps like weather, news and Yelp are built-in using the built-in LTE SIM card, so do not require a smartphone, as @kavatski stated.

My understanding is that other apps like Spotify, Pandora (don't know about Flickr) stream through the respective app installed on your smartphone that use your smartphone LTE SIM card. I think this is because BMW does not want to give you a costly big-data plan to run those apps that require a continuous, reliable data connection for cars in all all countries. Cell plans are particularly expensive in Canada, one of the highest in the world.

In my case, I had wanted Spotify which only worked after connection to my smartphone and with the Android ConnectedDrive app installed ... then bingo! After a few days of feeling good about my accomplishment, I turned it off anyway. Like @kavatski, I now do not even pair with the car ... I pair with my smartwatch which I have everywhere and can talk through my watch without even taking my phone out of my pocket.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. If anyone has another way, then please enlighten because I would be interested what else I can use.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #7
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep

I think they didn't activate my account because after I called my client advisor, the weather app worked. Only issue is that Yelp isn't on here (not like it matters) and I now have WikiLocal
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdandpwr View Post
I think they didn't activate my account because after I called my client advisor, the weather app worked. Only issue is that Yelp isn't on here (not like it matters) and I now have WikiLocal
Good that you are now connected.

There is a ConnectedDrive "Personalize menu" setting (or something like that) that lets you choose which services you want to display. Have you checked that Yelp and/or other services have not been turned off?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
Good that you are now connected.

There is a ConnectedDrive "Personalize menu" setting (or something like that) that lets you choose which services you want to display. Have you checked that Yelp and/or other services have not been turned off?
I'll recheck that -- I initially checked that when I didn't see the weather pop up. Not for nothing, but the weather showing actually helps clean up the display so I'm happy to see it on there.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #10
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Flickr works in my car through the built-in LTE connection, without going through a smartphone. I'm not interested in it, so I just turned it off under "Personalize menu".
Appreciate 0