F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Low Fuel Rail Pressure - MHD Stage 2 Stock Fuel System
proTUNING Freaks

03-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
ivanj308
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i DownPipe MHD

Low Fuel Rail Pressure - MHD Stage 2 Stock Fuel System

Just switched from a Dinan Elite V1 to a MHD Stage 2 93 Tune.
Car running Shell Vpower 93
Logs are showing low and erratic fuel rail pressure

Fuel system has never been touched.

Is there a fuel rail pressure calibration that needs to adjust since the Dinan Elite v1 has been removed ?

Fuel Filter ?

Any ideas are welcome.

Log below

https://datazap.me/u/ivan308/log-158...g=0&data=25-26
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #2
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

https://datazap.me/u/ivan308/log-158...2-5-8-25-26-33

Right when your rail pressure drops, you can see that your boost has overshot target slightly. The difference increases where it overshoots by nearly 1 psi. This happens at the valley in the rail pressure.

This kinda looks like throttle closure. But unsure how that impacts rail pressure.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:00 AM   #3
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
https://datazap.me/u/ivan308/log-158...2-5-8-25-26-33

Right when your rail pressure drops, you can see that your boost has overshot target slightly. The difference increases where it overshoots by nearly 1 psi. This happens at the valley in the rail pressure.

This kinda looks like throttle closure. But unsure how that impacts rail pressure.
Please STOP using boost as reference. Load is the main measure used as axis in almost every table in the ECU, not boost. ECU targets load from driver's input and only then calculates the boost needed to reach the target load.

You can clearly see that FRP drops at the late spool and slight load overshoot. Usually that kind of "overload" results in throttle closure but does not trigger such pressure drop.

From my experience with other DI engines, not every HPFP is created equal. Some of them hold the pressure, some do not. My bet is HPFP just can't pump more, that's it.
      03-16-2020, 06:53 AM   #4
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyabiev View Post
Please STOP using boost as reference. Load is the main measure used as axis in almost every table in the ECU, not boost. ECU targets load from driver's input and only then calculates the boost needed to reach the target load.

You can clearly see that FRP drops at the late spool and slight load overshoot. Usually that kind of "overload" results in throttle closure but does not trigger such pressure drop.

From my experience with other DI engines, not every HPFP is created equal. Some of them hold the pressure, some do not. My bet is HPFP just can't pump more, that's it.
Regardless, It doesn't make sense that the hpfp is hitting the limit at 17psi on 93 octane.

OP - This might sound dumb, but did you remove the V1 before flashing MHD? If you're running a boost controller piggyback then you'd actually be running more boost than the log indicates.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
ivanj308
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes Dinan has been removed.

Is the fuel pressure low enough that I need to be concerned that the car will run lean ?

Any ideas for troubleshooting ? Flash back to stock and log ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanj308 View Post
Yes Dinan has been removed.

Is the fuel pressure low enough that I need to be concerned that the car will run lean ?

Any ideas for troubleshooting ? Flash back to stock and log ?
It won't run lean but you can go into limp mode if the fuel pump crashes. Yes, you are in that region.

You can try logging stock or stage 1 to see if the issue persists. Also log AFR at idle to see if there's an injector/fuel pump issue.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
ivanj308
Enlisted Member
Rep

Custom tune or mechanical issue ?

AFR at idle are solid

Can fuel pressure be adjusted with a custom tune or is this just a mechanical issue ?

Do I replace stock pump. I am guessing there are a few used stock pumps available for sales as people have upgraded.
Appreciate 0