BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) MOT at indy or main dealer

10-24-2023, 04:33 AM   #1
Fandyman83
Rep
Drives: None

MOT at indy or main dealer

My BMW X1 from 2017 is due MOT in December (my first MOT as I own it from December 2022). It is still under 12 month BMW Approved Warranty so I am wondering if going for MOT at main dealer is a better option to indy as any major faults can be addressed under BMW approved used warranty.

I did only 2.5k miles and was at the dealer in April 22 for another issue to do with the back seat rest which was resolved. They did visual inspection at the time too (as they do normally with any visit) and said everything was in order.

Once I am passed the 12 month BMW Approve Used warranty I am probably better of doing the MOT at an indy but not in this case I guess. Am I correct?

Another question is if I did MOT at indie can I then take the outcome of it and go to main BMW dealer for any major fault fixes? I guess the problem then is I have 10 days to rectify and MOT failures and booking a time slot with BMW at such a short notice will be close to impossible.

Any advise appreciated.

Last edited by Fandyman83; 10-24-2023 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

I would go to indie.

I would doubt that any MOT failure points would be covered by your warranty. Almost exclusively they are wear and tear issues unless there is something blatantly obvious to you like warning lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 10:17 AM   #3
Semi Retired
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d Xline xdrive White

Main Dealer before the warranty expires every time. The cost difference is minimal any defects/ faults/failures identified should be addressed within the warranty. You certainly won’t be able to get the dealer to address issues that it hasn’t identified. They will want to examine test the vehicle themselves before they accept any liability. Further costs for another MOT
No brainier really.
Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50
      10-29-2023, 12:45 PM   #4
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

But if car fails on non warranty items like brake pads or basically anything covered on the MOT, you are then opening yourself up to have to pay dealer prices for routine maintenance items.
Indie for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 04:21 AM   #5
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post
But if car fails on non warranty items like brake pads or basically anything covered on the MOT, you are then opening yourself up to have to pay dealer prices for routine maintenance items.
Indie for me.
Well maintenance items are easily checked beforehand and can be calculated

Oil change -> When was last change and when is next due?
Brakes -> When was last change of pads, what is expected life left in iDrive?
As long the sensor isn't triggered there is no need to replace right away. It might get recommended to do but no immediate replacement is needed.
Brake liquid -> Check in iDrive

Always change wipers yourself beforehand and top up the windshield washer liquid. These are known to have much margin at the dealer.
When I was due for rear brakes, pads + rotors, the dealer wasn't that much more expensive (about 400 for indy, 450 for BMW EUR)

Anyway, would have gone for dealer for the last time, if they find something then it can be replaced on warranty. See it as a insurrance you pay a little bit for
Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50
      10-31-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

As I said, majority of MOT check is for maintenance issues.
I severely doubt there would be anything found on it that would be covered under warranty.
So you are leaving yourself open to the garage failing your car on something and then giving you a big price to fix it.

But each to their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 04:56 PM   #7
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post
As I said, majority of MOT check is for maintenance issues.
I severely doubt there would be anything found on it that would be covered under warranty.
So you are leaving yourself open to the garage failing your car on something and then giving you a big price to fix it.

But each to their own.
Well here they check all lights but also check suspension if there is no slack.
Especially lights if they are LED should be covered on warranty, but also any suspension slack because it is a fairly new car.

Rest is normal maintenance indeed
Appreciate 0