BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Better places to sell BMWs?

11-08-2023, 05:49 PM   #1
Ad20058
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Better places to sell BMWs?

Hey all - I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere else good to find bmw enthusiasts to sell a car?

I have a 2008 e92 manual with 45k miles I have listed in the classifieds on this forum. Also Fb marketplace where just a bunch of lowball offers.

Wonder if anyone else knows of good places to put car up for sale?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 05:51 PM   #2
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
You can try BMWCCA
https://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds
Also Bring a Trailer
https://bringatrailer.com/
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2023, 05:55 PM   #3
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
You can try BMWCCA
https://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds
Also Bring a Trailer
https://bringatrailer.com/
Ohhh. Quick response. I knew about BaT but not BMWCCA. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 06:51 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I sold my ZHP coupe a few years ago in 2-3 days on the BMWCCA site. It's a shame they don't modernize it - tiny photos, meager information on many listings, etc. But what you DO get is real buyers and real sellers, passionate about the brand or they wouldn't be members.

Avoid places like Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace (please!). You're gonna get all kinds of scammers, tire-kickers, no-shows, and other time-wasters at those sites. GLWS!
Ad2005824.00
Oldgixxer1912.50
      11-08-2023, 07:54 PM   #5
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I sold my 2020 Cayenne in 2 days on autotrader.com and for approx $6.5 k more than dealer trade offer.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
Ad2005824.00
      11-08-2023, 07:57 PM   #6
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I sold my ZHP coupe a few years ago in 2-3 days on the BMWCCA site. It's a shame they don't modernize it - tiny photos, meager information on many listings, etc. But what you DO get is real buyers and real sellers, passionate about the brand or they wouldn't be members.

Avoid places like Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace (please!). You're gonna get all kinds of scammers, tire-kickers, no-shows, and other time-wasters at those sites. GLWS!
I was looking around and I didn’t see a ton of activity in the classifieds. Wondering if it’s worth the 60 bucks fee
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 08:13 PM   #7
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
+1 on BaT. You’ll get real market value that way. I sold a motorcycle there and got 25% more than I expected. You won’t have to deal with scammers on Craigs List, nor going through a negotiation dance.
Appreciate 1
Ad2005824.00
      11-08-2023, 10:31 PM   #8
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
+1 on BaT. You’ll get real market value that way. I sold a motorcycle there and got 25% more than I expected. You won’t have to deal with scammers on Craigs List, nor going through a negotiation dance.
Super scared about the no reserve lol. Tried to and they said 2008 was too old for a reserve
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 05:51 AM   #9
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I buy and sell cars quite often . I've been through this process over 70 times. There are many of places you can list cars. As stated previously, AutoTrader is one option. Cars.com is another option and CarGurus is another option.

I have had zero success as a buyer and seller on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist when it comes to cars specifically. That doesn't mean that there are not legitimate sellers and buyers on both sites. But it does mean that the vast majority are illegitimate buyers and a complete waste of time. Not worth the headache as a seller.

Bring A Trailer, as mentioned before, is an option. An alternative to that is Cars and Bids. Problem with those two sites are the reserve that THEY set. As mentioned before, sometimes they will not have a reserve and other times they will set a reserve that is way below the appraised value. I recently was selling a car and Cars and Bids wanted to set a reserve price that was almost half of the appraised value! Needless to say, I did not use their service.

For BMW enthusiasts, BMW CCA is an option but Collector Chassis is also an option and has become the de facto alternative to BMW CCA. There are many other sites for very rare cars or very expensive cars but I won't get into that in this reply. Hope that helps

Last edited by thebmw; 11-09-2023 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 4
LDT1539.50
1and11858.00
MonaJB3.00
      11-09-2023, 06:08 AM   #10
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I buy and sell cars quite often . I've been through this process over 70 times. There are many of places you can list cars. As stated previously, AutoTrader is one option. Cars.com is another option and CarGurus is another option.

I have had zero success as a buyer and seller on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist when it comes to cars specifically. That doesn't mean that there are not legitimate sellers and buyers on both sites. But it does mean that the vast majority are illegitimate buyers and a complete waste of time. Not worth the headache as a seller.

Bring A Trailer, as mentioned before, is an option. An alternative to that is Cars and Bids. Problem with those two sites are the reserve that THEY set. As mentioned before, sometimes they will not have a reserve and other times they will set a reserve that is way below the appraised value. I recently was selling a car and Cars and Bids wanted to set a reserve price that was almost half of the appraised value! Needless to say, I did not use their service.

For BMW enthusiasts, BMW CCA is an option but Collector Chassis is also an option and has become the de facto alternative to BMW CCA. There are many other sites for very rare cars or very expensive cars but I won't get into that in this reply. Hope that helps
Your insights are awesome! Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 12:28 PM   #11
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad20058 View Post
Super scared about the no reserve lol. Tried to and they said 2008 was too old for a reserve
Not certain what you're worried about. You want to sell, correct? You're going to get somewhere between $14k and $20k, depending on how well the car is presented and if you have the right bidders in the room. You'll get market value for the car. BMWs do very well on that site.

Or you can put a for sale sign on it through Autotrader, deal with the phone calls, emails, and showings. Waste time negotiating, hoping you get what you think the car is worth. May take a month or two? Your time and aggravation are worth something, too.

About 18 months ago I put my 1999 Ducati 996 up on BaT with no reserve. I had owned it since new, got all of the maintenance up to date in preparation for the auction, and knew I would get somewhere between $6k and $8k for it. No way was I going to advertise on Craig's list or Cycletrader, deal with the emails and phone calls, have people stop by to see it, etc. BaT put it online, I fielded the questions from interested bidders, and got just under $10k for it. A thousand here or there were not going to break me, and I just wanted market value for the bike.

Two years ago I had a 2009 Audi S5 MT that I just did not enjoy driving, after only a few months of ownership. I seriously considered selling it on BaT (no reserve of course). However, my detailer told me the car had extensive paint work that the previous owner seemed to know nothing about. I didn't want to ruin my online integrity by failing to disclose that fact, nor negatively affect an auction by disclosing that kind of a problem for an otherwise super-clean, low-mileage (34k) beauty. I called Carmax and let them have it.

Two weeks ago I was the last man standing on a BaT auction for a '67 Corvette that failed to reach reserve. The seller reached out to me with a reasonable offer just below his reserve, and we struck a deal. He got just a little under what he wanted, and I believe I paid market value for great classic.

So, I have options. If I want to sell something that has a story behind it, I'll just take what I can get from Carmax (if they're still in business). Or I will trade it in to a dealer. Or I'll go the BaT route if I have something that can do well out there, like an e9x with MT, and I'll go no reserve. The days of me throwing something on Craig's List or Autotrader are long gone -- too much work.
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2023, 02:00 PM   #12
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
ppointer it's well reasoned and insightful responses like yours that makes this forum not a waste of time like most social media. Thanks
Appreciate 3
      11-10-2023, 02:33 PM   #13
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
Not certain what you're worried about. You want to sell, correct? You're going to get somewhere between $14k and $20k, depending on how well the car is presented and if you have the right bidders in the room. You'll get market value for the car. BMWs do very well on that site.

Or you can put a for sale sign on it through Autotrader, deal with the phone calls, emails, and showings. Waste time negotiating, hoping you get what you think the car is worth. May take a month or two? Your time and aggravation are worth something, too.

About 18 months ago I put my 1999 Ducati 996 up on BaT with no reserve. I had owned it since new, got all of the maintenance up to date in preparation for the auction, and knew I would get somewhere between $6k and $8k for it. No way was I going to advertise on Craig's list or Cycletrader, deal with the emails and phone calls, have people stop by to see it, etc. BaT put it online, I fielded the questions from interested bidders, and got just under $10k for it. A thousand here or there were not going to break me, and I just wanted market value for the bike.

Two years ago I had a 2009 Audi S5 MT that I just did not enjoy driving, after only a few months of ownership. I seriously considered selling it on BaT (no reserve of course). However, my detailer told me the car had extensive paint work that the previous owner seemed to know nothing about. I didn't want to ruin my online integrity by failing to disclose that fact, nor negatively affect an auction by disclosing that kind of a problem for an otherwise super-clean, [...]
Car-Addicted is right. You’re the voice of reason we all need.

Thanks for the perspective man. It’s really hard when there is an emotional connection to the car. Tbh, I don’t really want to sell it. Don’t need to sell it even. Just have no room for it. So it’s a slight inconvenience.

Not being in dire need to sell def makes me want to wait for the right offer. But you’re right about BaT. The historical prices (and recent) have been really good and kinda what to expect from the car.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2023, 03:32 PM   #14
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

I do agree with ppointer, however, I have seen some cars sell for well below their market value. It all depends on who happens to know and bid on the auction during those 7 days. I have missed out on many cars I wanted simply because I didn't know they were for sale (and I am guessing many people like me did not know either). Thus, the car sold for as much as 40% below market value.

In OP's case, that will only be a few thousand here or there. Not to downplay that, but if you traded the car in, you'd lose those few thousand anyway. Your time is probably worth a few thousand. I have spent far greater than 10k of time trying to sell my cars (many of mine are 1-of-1, rare, or showroom, thus I refuse to give it to a stealership and I love to see a buyer happy).

I always advise people who have not done a lot of selling to try it out on various websites and get experience. If you sell it, great. If you don't, you will be very happy losing a couple thousand on BaT or CaB or even selling to a dealer.

Let us know what you decide!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 04:03 PM   #15
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
I do agree with ppointer, however, I have seen some cars sell for well below their market value. It all depends on who happens to know and bid on the auction during those 7 days. I have missed out on many cars I wanted simply because I didn't know they were for sale (and I am guessing many people like me did not know either). Thus, the car sold for as much as 40% below market value.

In OP's case, that will only be a few thousand here or there. Not to downplay that, but if you traded the car in, you'd lose those few thousand anyway. Your time is probably worth a few thousand. I have spent far greater than 10k of time trying to sell my cars (many of mine are 1-of-1, rare, or showroom, thus I refuse to give it to a stealership and I love to see a buyer happy).

I always advise people who have not done a lot of selling to try it out on various websites and get experience. If you sell it, great. If you don't, you will be very happy losing a couple thousand on BaT or CaB or even selling to a dealer.

Let us know what you decide!
Appreciate your perspective as well! So far I’m working on getting it up on Collector Chassis. If nothing there, switch to BaT.

I unfortunately turned down a few great offers a few months back. But at this time I still hadn’t bought the replacement car so I needed mine. Now that I got the X5 a few weeks ago and don’t have space for the e92, those offers we’re looking kinda good in hindsight lol.

I’ll survive 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 06:58 PM   #16
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate your perspective as well! So far I’m working on getting it up on Collector Chassis. If nothing there, switch to BaT.

I unfortunately turned down a few great offers a few months back. But at this time I still hadn’t bought the replacement car so I needed mine. Now that I got the X5 a few weeks ago and don’t have space for the e92, those offers we’re looking kinda good in hindsight lol.

I’ll survive 😂
Market is organically lower now than it was in the summer but significantly lower than it was in the spring or last year. It will continue to correct into next year. I will let Will at CC know that you are reaching out to him and he will take care of you.
Appreciate 1
Ad2005824.00
      11-10-2023, 07:12 PM   #17
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
Market is organically lower now than it was in the summer but significantly lower than it was in the spring or last year. It will continue to correct into next year. I will let Will at CC know that you are reaching out to him and he will take care of you.
Already in communication with Will. He’s been great!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 07:52 PM   #18
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Didn’t read all of pointer’s post, but what I can tell you is Cars and Bids wanted me to set a reserve substantially below the lowest reasonable market value and there was no way I was going to do that. When I expressed concern about the reserve they proposed they would not budge. My impression was they were more interested in getting a sale on their website than they were in me getting the most for my car I could. I ultimately sold my 2020 M340i about one week later for $10,000 more than where they wanted me to set the reserve.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-10-2023 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 08:07 PM   #19
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Didn’t read all of pointer’s post, but what I can tell you is Cars and Bids wanted me to set a reserve substantially below the lowest reasonable market value and there was no way I was going to do that. When I expressed concern about the reserve they proposed they would not budge. My impression was they were more interested in getting a sale on their website than they were in me getting the most for my car I could. I ultimately sold my 2020 M340i about one week later for $10,000 more than where they wanted me to set the reserve.
Ya made the right choice. I like Doug, and there’s some cool cars one CandB, but horrible reserves
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 08:13 PM   #20
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Ya made the right choice. I like Doug, and there’s some cool cars one CandB, but horrible reserves
I had that low reserve situation in my mind and I got a little confused thinking pointer was talking about them when he was referring to BaT. I have to agree with you. No reserve at all would make me very uncomfortable.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

11-10-2023, 10:04 PM   #21
Ad20058
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I had that low reserve situation in my mind and I got a little confused thinking pointer was talking about them when he was referring to BaT. I have to agree with you. No reserve at all would make me very uncomfortable.
Jusy the wrong week…the right ppl don’t come and look and you’re selling for way under what could have been. Def scary.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #22
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Car-Addicted is right. You’re the voice of reason we all need.

Thanks for the perspective man. It’s really hard when there is an emotional connection to the car. Tbh, I don’t really want to sell it. Don’t need to sell it even. Just have no room for it. So it’s a slight inconvenience.

Not being in dire need to sell def makes me want to wait for the right offer. But you’re right about BaT. The historical prices (and recent) have been really good and kinda what to expect from the car.
I had that Ducati for 22+ years and definitely was attached to it. I would have put it in our living room if my wife would have agreed. So I can understand the emotional connection. Perhaps you're not ready to sell. I just got to the point I knew I would never ride it again and it would otherwise just rot. Once that decision was made, up to BaT it went. Ducatis do well there. Yes, there was some trepidation about no reserve, but I got market value.
Appreciate 1
Ad2005824.00