BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Clean air pipe (a.k.a. intake pipe) installation

12-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #1
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Clean air pipe (a.k.a. intake pipe) installation

Hi guys,

I finally installed a new intake pipe from FTP (https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...ipe-inlet-pipe). I was looking for new upgrades after the ECU tune, and this comes first since it's the cheapest.

This pipe is advertised to provide better "breathing" for the engine, so I was expecting some sort of performance improvement, I mean noticeable to me while driving. The truth is that I can't really feel any difference, but maybe will be worthy in my path to a Stage 2 setup .

Anyway, I'm attaching some pics from the process, which I catalog as "Medium" difficulty (a couple of hours) since you need to disassemble several parts to access the pipe. I'm also attaching the ISTA+ manuals.

Did someone install this kind of intake pipe? I would love to hear about your experiences or if you feel any improvement.

Thanks!
      12-19-2021, 05:29 PM   #2
swblake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Thanks for posting this! I'm waiting on my intake to arrive so I can tackle this project. Have you done any other upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

check out MINI forums. I've seen a few users with JCWs who have installed the same part and claimed the intake noise is louder.

Saludos desde Milwaukee compadre!
      12-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swblake View Post
Thanks for posting this! I'm waiting on my intake to arrive so I can tackle this project. Have you done any other upgrades?
You're welcome! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Yes, I did a couple of things:
  1. Eibach lowered springs
  2. EBC disk brakes + yellowstuff pads + SS brake lines
  3. Bigger wheels and wider tires
  4. MMI Box (rear camera + carplay)
  5. K&N CAI (better noise)
  6. ECU tune (270hp+)

Cosmetic things like:
  1. Carbon fiber mirror cover
  2. Black exhaust tips
  3. Carbon fiber vinyl for some interior parts

And maintenance things like:
  1. Oil change
  2. A/C cleaning + cabin filter replacement

Next things are:
  1. Boostpipe and Chargepipe (also from FTP)
  2. Bilstein B8 shock absorbers
  3. Downpipe (still evaluating it)

You know, it's my hobby haha. I really enjoy doing these things myself.
      12-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
check out MINI forums. I've seen a few users with JCWs who have installed the same part and claimed the intake noise is louder.

Saludos desde Milwaukee compadre!
Yes, now it sounds better IMO. I also noticed less air turbulence. When I had the stock intake + CAI, sometimes it struggled to breathe, and you felt some jerking. Now with this new intake, the jerking is gone.

But besides that, no other improvement that I can feel.
      12-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
Reefy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i BMW, 2017 X1 BMW 28i

I installed this pipe and also with the Boostpipe and Chargepipe (also from FTP).
With my AFE Intake and DINAN Tune + Supersprint exhaust, it really rocks.
All excellent upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefy View Post
I installed this pipe and also with the Boostpipe and Chargepipe (also from FTP).
With my AFE Intake and DINAN Tune + Supersprint exhaust, it really rocks.
All excellent upgrades.
Hey Reefy, for installing the boostpipe, did you have to cut the OEM one? I read that's pretty much the only way to remove it.
Reefy38.00
      12-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #8
Reefy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hey Reefy, for installing the boostpipe, did you have to cut the OEM one? I read that's pretty much the only way to remove it.
Yeah that is the case.

It was really tight space under there.
Make sure you get it secured it well though, mine popped off after a long roadtrip, was very lucky.
Appreciate 1
jrveron265.50
      12-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefy View Post
Yeah that is the case.

It was really tight space under there.
Make sure you get it secured it well though, mine popped off after a long roadtrip, was very lucky.
Ohhh noooo!! . I will double-check it for sure. Any other recommendations?

Thanks
      12-25-2021, 12:40 AM   #10
Reefy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ohhh noooo!! . I will double-check it for sure. Any other recommendations?

Thanks
Thats about it, just make sure everything is snug.

This is a very good mod because these pipes ALWAYS break.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #11
Ion619
Ion L.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i & 2018 X1 & 2016 X1

Got a question... I finally got around to install the "air pipe" after years in storage... The "C-Clip" on the new FTP pipe, when seated to mating existing pipe, i can at times able to pull up the FTP, thus disconnecting.

I really seated the FTP pipe on the existing flange (with no gaps identified) and when positioning the "C-Cip" I can feel with extra force, it can be disconnected and not 100% secured.

Is there something that I'm missing to ensure 100% connection between FTP "air pipe" and existing intake pipe?
      12-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #12
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion619 View Post
Got a question... I finally got around to install the "air pipe" after years in storage... The "C-Clip" on the new FTP pipe, when seated to mating existing pipe, i can at times able to pull up the FTP, thus disconnecting.

I really seated the FTP pipe on the existing flange (with no gaps identified) and when positioning the "C-Cip" I can feel with extra force, it can be disconnected and not 100% secured.

Is there something that I'm missing to ensure 100% connection between FTP "air pipe" and existing intake pipe?
Hi Ion619,

If I understood correctly, try moving the C-clip until you hear a click. The first time happened the same to me, but after moving the C-clip, it fit strongly. Or probably the C-clip (reused from the existing intake pipe) is not in perfect conditions, that's why it doesn't allow you to have a good seal with turbo entrance.

For me, the most difficult parts were the Crankcase Ventilation lines and the electrical pin on the back of the inlet.
Attached Images

02-13-2022, 08:19 AM   #13
swblake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Tackled this installation yesterday and holy hell was it frustrating. I spent ~ an hour trying to disconnect the electrical connector from the intake pipe and was never successful. Ended up pull the whole unit out (connector and what I'm guessing is a sensor). Don't think I'd do this one again on my own but at least its done now.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #14
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swblake View Post
Tackled this installation yesterday and holy hell was it frustrating. I spent ~ an hour trying to disconnect the electrical connector from the intake pipe and was never successful. Ended up pull the whole unit out (connector and what I'm guessing is a sensor). Don't think I'd do this one again on my own but at least its done now.
Well, you can't argue that it's satisfying when you're done, haha. In my case, removing the heat protector gave me enough space to disconnect that electrical connector on the back, but, yes, it was a PITA.
      02-15-2022, 04:00 AM   #15
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:
Well, you can't argue that it's satisfying when you're done, haha. In my case, removing the heat protector gave me enough space to disconnect that electrical connector on the back, but, yes, it was a PITA.
I'm about to go stage 2 with an uprated intercooler, are these upgrades worth it? I'm with the tiny 1.5L 3 Cyl BTW.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 07:43 AM   #16
swblake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I purchased the Turner Motorsports Performance Software kit so I wanted to upgrade/reinforce the air intake, intake, boost, and charge pipes. In my mind these were a must to get the best, most reliable performance out of this tune.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ance-software/
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #17
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDriver18i View Post
I'm about to go stage 2 with an uprated intercooler, are these upgrades worth it? I'm with the tiny 1.5L 3 Cyl BTW.
Well, I'm not sure we benefit from upgrading the intercooler unless you upgrade the turbo too. You will lose boost because of the bigger intercooler. There's a lot of debate around this.

I strongly believe you will see the benefit from a bigger intercooler if you really push it all the time, like in a race, you know. You will see that temperature drop faster and maintain healthy cool air in the system. But for everyday driving, I don't think it's necessary.

I have a 2.0i with an ECU tune giving me around 290hp to the wheels and 320hp to the crank. I changed the intake pipe for better turbo breathing and better noise. I also changed the boostpipe and chargepipe for durability. I saw many minis blow up the lines when increasing the boost, and it was a good DIY project, haha.

So, bottom line, I think you must change the boostpipe and chargepipe. The intake pipe is optional.
      05-26-2023, 04:36 PM   #18
Mattadore
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 xdrive M-sport

Thanks!

Thanks, jrveron. I finally got around to putting this in and your pictures were a big help.

Thru nothing torrid or off base I happen to have another, new in-box rear FTP intake pipe. I am asking $125 plus shipping to anyone that wants it. Good upgrade, IMO. The old pipe looked less than efficient.

If you are interested, DM me and we can figure it out.

Quote:
Hi guys,

I finally installed a new intake pipe from FTP (https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...ipe-inlet-pipe). I was looking for new upgrades after the ECU tune, and this comes first since it's the cheapest.

This pipe is advertised to provide better "breathing" for the engine, so I was expecting some sort of performance improvement, I mean noticeable to me while driving. The truth is that I can't really feel any difference, but maybe will be worthy in my path to a Stage 2 setup .

Anyway, I'm attaching some pics from the process, which I catalog as "Medium" difficulty (a couple of hours) since you need to disassemble several parts to access the pipe. I'm also attaching the ISTA+ manuals.

Did someone install this kind of intake pipe? I would love to hear about your experiences or if you feel any improvement.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0