BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Drawtite 76018 Hitch on M Sport X1?

03-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Drawtite 76018 Hitch on M Sport X1?

If anyone has this hitch on an X1 M Sport....I have two questions:

Can you install this without out removing entire rear bumper?

The mfg's install videos are done on a std X1 and show removing the center section of the bumper during the install. That's not possible with the M sport rear bumper.

If you can install it without removing rear bumper...does it fit below the M sport bumper without modification (hacking a cutout in the bumper cover)?

Thanks for looking!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
If anyone has this hitch on an X1 M Sport....I have two questions:

Can you install this without out removing entire rear bumper?

The mfg's install videos are done on a std X1 and show removing the center section of the bumper during the install. That's not possible with the M sport rear bumper.

If you can install it without removing rear bumper...does it fit below the M sport bumper without modification (hacking a cutout in the bumper cover)?

Thanks for looking!
I looked into it. The installation requires you to cut out a section of the bumper unfortunately. These are pricey but if you're against hacking up the M Sport bumper id suggest one of these.

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...year-2016-2017
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Forgot to post drawtite hitch install pic...here 'tis'

Hitch install was easy...remove muffler hangers, remove alum heat shield, 2 bumper bolts...position hitch on bumper bolts, mark two bolt hole locations for drilling, remove hitch, drill holes, fish mtg bolts/reinforcing plates into holes, reposition hitch, torque bolts, mark and trim heat shield and reattach. NO trimming or interference with the lower edge of the M sport bumper.

Lighting kit hook up took more time... easy to wire pick up leads to the tail lights, but to run wire up to the battery was a chore...fishing wire under or removing plastic cladding took more time than hitch install!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #4
COUWK
The BMW Life
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 535d xDrive (e36,e46,f48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper View Post
I looked into it. The installation requires you to cut out a section of the bumper unfortunately. These are pricey but if you're against hacking up the M Sport bumper id suggest one of these.

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...year-2016-2017
In case anybody is curious, go with the Stealth Hitch...
Great Quality and look completely stock when the adapter is removed.
I've had mine for years, no rust and a great fit for my f10 sedan..!
Going to purchase a kit for the X1 as well.
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 07:41 PM   #5
jwzubieta
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 M Sport

I hate to revive a dead thread - but I’m about to take on this challenge with my 2017 X1 M Sport. Did you end up having to remove the entire bumper? And do you have any tips on installation of the hitch or the wiring kit?

New here, so figuring this out. I’m not sure if there’s a way to direct message and I’m just missing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #6
jw9803
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X1 xDrive

Garage List
Hi. You do not have to remove or do any bumper hackery. The center heat shield needs to be removed and trimmed to accommodate the hitch then reinstalled in two separate pieces. You have to remove the lower fascia and exhaust hangers to get to the heat shield. You also need 1" hole saw to drill the holes in the rear big enough to get the carriage bolt and "rectangular" washer through to bolt down the rear extending arms. The front part of the hitch bolts to the existing bumper mount studs. Bolt to the bumper studs first and then raise the rear up to mark where to drill the holes. Torque all bolts to 75ft lbs. I put some thread locker on them just in case. Took about an hour or so to install. Not difficult. As far as the wiring goes, U-Haul down the street from here did it for less than 100 bucks. Worth that in just the time saved. I pull a 2,500 lbs pop up camper with mine. Works like a champ. Attached a couple of pictures. Hope this helps.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/pi...ictureid=88681

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/pi...ictureid=88682
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #7
jw9803
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X1 xDrive

Garage List
Here is another picture from the rear of the car. Hitch is completely hidden behind the bumper cover.

Appreciate 0