BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Is anyone else having throttle issues??

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #67
Destroya
Lieutenant
Destroya's Avatar
370
Rep
419
Posts

Drives: 2020 X2 M35i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (0)

This is alarming to hear. I have an X2 M35i on order, currently on a boat mid Atlantic. My X1 has this type delay but only in comfort mode. In sport mode acceleration is fine. My understanding is this is due to how the transmission is programmed.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #68
Glazonyoursix
Enlisted Member
Glazonyoursix's Avatar
13
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: X2 M35i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greco DC View Post
I called BMWUSA to let them know about the issue. They took down the information and said they'll "look into it". Doubtful.

For what it's worth, I registered a complaint with the NHTSA. If any of you are still experiencing this issue, I highly encourage you to do the same. An investigation/recall won't happen unless there are enough complaints. Here's the link to my complaint:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/B...FWD#complaints

I drove the vehicle for a few hours today in both open highway and city driving situations and the lag occurred every single time I tried to accelerate from a slow roll (auto-off was disengaged and I tested it in all three driving modes). I confirmed the engine doesn't rev during the lag. I also attempted to floor the accelerator during the lag (as another commenter suggested) and the vehicle did what I expected it would: after a few seconds, it exploded forward but with more force than before.

On a bright note, it looks great freshly washed.
I'll look into this but our vehicles aren't FWD. For the most part yes it is but its XDrive stock. Have you taken it into the dealer or have you just told BMW USA.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #69
El Greco DC
Private
El Greco DC's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #70
billnchristy
Lieutenant
207
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: 2019 X2 m35i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
This is alarming to hear. I have an X2 M35i on order, currently on a boat mid Atlantic. My X1 has this type delay but only in comfort mode. In sport mode acceleration is fine. My understanding is this is due to how the transmission is programmed.
I don’t find it any worse than the x1, which is why I asked if those guys had one prior. I got used to it and learned how to overcome it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #71
El Greco DC
Private
El Greco DC's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazonyoursix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greco DC View Post
I called BMWUSA to let them know about the issue. They took down the information and said they'll "look into it". Doubtful.

For what it's worth, I registered a complaint with the NHTSA. If any of you are still experiencing this issue, I highly encourage you to do the same. An investigation/recall won't happen unless there are enough complaints. Here's the link to my complaint:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/B...FWD#complaints

I drove the vehicle for a few hours today in both open highway and city driving situations and the lag occurred every single time I tried to accelerate from a slow roll (auto-off was disengaged and I tested it in all three driving modes). I confirmed the engine doesn't rev during the lag. I also attempted to floor the accelerator during the lag (as another commenter suggested) and the vehicle did what I expected it would: after a few seconds, it exploded forward but with more force than before.

On a bright note, it looks great freshly washed.
I'll look into this but our vehicles aren't FWD. For the most part yes it is but its XDrive stock. Have you taken it into the dealer or have you just told BMW USA.
FWD was the only option available to select on their online form.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #72
King_Leonard
Private First Class
55
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: 3rd Planet

iTrader: (0)

In my opinion, I think the whole electronic braking + transmission system is poorly designed and not optimized at all.

Compared to my previous car which had a "mechanical 5AT", I like that my M35i 'disengages' the gear from the engine when sitting at a red light. There are no annoying vibrations transmitted to the cabin.

However, I dislike how there is a noticeable 'thunk' when I release the brake to take off. And, the transmission becomes unpredictable when I'm creeping along in slow traffic. It becomes a jerky start & stop and sometimes the brakes will 'shudder'.

With all this shit going on, it's not too surprising that acceleration can also become unpredictable. For me, these 'NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES' occur when I release the brake in the left turn lane and slowly creep forward. I can feel my heart explode as I press my right foot deeper and deeper...
Appreciate 2
CSBM51386.00

      10-14-2019, 04:47 AM   #73
El Greco DC
Private
El Greco DC's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Leonard View Post
In my opinion, I think the whole electronic braking + transmission system is poorly designed and not optimized at all.

Compared to my previous car which had a "mechanical 5AT", I like that my M35i 'disengages' the gear from the engine when sitting at a red light. There are no annoying vibrations transmitted to the cabin.

However, I dislike how there is a noticeable 'thunk' when I release the brake to take off. And, the transmission becomes unpredictable when I'm creeping along in slow traffic. It becomes a jerky start & stop and sometimes the brakes will 'shudder'.

With all this shit going on, it's not too surprising that acceleration can also become unpredictable. For me, these 'NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES' occur when I release the brake in the left turn lane and slowly creep forward. I can feel my heart explode as I press my right foot deeper and deeper...
Exactly. This describes the issue I'm having 100% accurately.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #74
rice_rocket88
First Lieutenant
40
Rep
357
Posts

Drives: E60 F48 F49
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Yup.. I complained that it's taking me time to "learn" how to stop with the car in comfort mode because it always disengages that transmission just as I'm about to stop so it makes it jerky. Honestly I've been driving on sport mode all the time and only flip it to comfort when I'm cruising on the highway and want the exhaust flap closed for the extra quietness. I'm just about to order the pedal tuner just to sharpen things up a little more, seems that everyone else has been more happy than not installing it that it should be a win win.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #75
El Greco DC
Private
El Greco DC's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Yup.. I complained that it's taking me time to "learn" how to stop with the car in comfort mode because it always disengages that transmission just as I'm about to stop so it makes it jerky. Honestly I've been driving on sport mode all the time and only flip it to comfort when I'm cruising on the highway and want the exhaust flap closed for the extra quietness. I'm just about to order the pedal tuner just to sharpen things up a little more, seems that everyone else has been more happy than not installing it that it should be a win win.
I look forward to hearing about your results.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #76
King_Leonard
Private First Class
55
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: 3rd Planet

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Yup.. I complained that it's taking me time to "learn" how to stop with the car in comfort mode because it always disengages that transmission just as I'm about to stop so it makes it jerky. Honestly I've been driving on sport mode all the time and only flip it to comfort when I'm cruising on the highway and want the exhaust flap closed for the extra quietness. I'm just about to order the pedal tuner just to sharpen things up a little more, seems that everyone else has been more happy than not installing it that it should be a win win.
Glad to find out I'm not the only one experiencing this!!!

I drive almost exclusively in comfort mode and stopping 'smoothly' is next to impossible. 9 times out of 10, there is a final jerk when coming to a complete stop. And I am concentrating real hard to feather the brake pedal. Same thing in Ecopro mode. Jerky stops.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #77
satz
Major
Australia
103
Rep
1,084
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canberra

iTrader: (0)

seems to be different issues between the M35i and the rest-of-the-world version of the FWD S2.0i.

At least on my FWD (7 speed dct), the stopping is smooth...no tranmission grabbing. Even in crawling traffic it's pretty good.

My main issue is the strong hesitation/lag when I try to accelerate fast from standstill, or when I need to quickly accelerate when already cruising say at 100kmh.

The BMS pedal tuner helps a little, but doesn't eliminate what is either transmission lag, or turbo lag. Though I can't see how turbo lag could be that bad in a modern small-turbo, relatively low power engine. (remembering the non US 2.0i has only 141kW). Which is less than my 1994 Nissan 200SX 2 litre turbo, which had no noticeable turbo lag
__________________
2019 X3 M40i, Sophisto grey, H/K, pano
Previous: 2019 BMW X2 Msport, Mineral Grey, Adaptive Suspension, H/K
Previous: 2009 335i LCI, Bluewater
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #78
//TMT
Private First Class
//TMT's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Eastern Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Leonard View Post
Glad to find out I'm not the only one experiencing this!!!

I drive almost exclusively in comfort mode and stopping 'smoothly' is next to impossible. 9 times out of 10, there is a final jerk when coming to a complete stop. And I am concentrating real hard to feather the brake pedal. Same thing in Ecopro mode. Jerky stops.
I have a question and answer carefully do it doesn't screw up my new theory

Does the car seem to lurch forward or sort of hiccup backward when this jerk happens?

If it's a forward jerk, my new theory is that it's the battery charge regeneration holding on too long. The torque converter is locked in this mode, and of course it has to unlock before the car fully stops. If that happens late, the idling engine will briefly be pushing the car forward.

If it's backward hiccup, it could still be the same cause but maybe harder to explain.

One way to test this might be to fully charge the battery, then immediately take the test drive. In theory, regeneration would either not happen, or make a tiny effect.

This theory does not, however, account for the lag in taking off, as has also been reported. But who knows, maybe it is!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #79
rice_rocket88
First Lieutenant
40
Rep
357
Posts

Drives: E60 F48 F49
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

I would have to say it ultimately is a disengaging feel, so it would be a lurch forward as if you popped the car into neutral. It would make sense of the regenerative braking but in my mind I *KNOW* it's literally the transmission disengaging, because it's the same "jerk" when you take the foot off the brake and it clunks back in gear/engages. This is NOT present at all in the sports mode. It actually is not at all present in my wife's 2016 X1. The dead spot is a completely different issue that is also exaggerated by the transmission clunking back into gear AND the dead throttle input.

I would think that it does not matter if the battery is fully charged or not, because the regenerative braking is a function of braking to gain energy. Even if the car is fully charged and then started I would think the charging system will still act the same in that aspect.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 07:39 AM   #80
xcelir8bmw
Second Lieutenant
30
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

It never happens in sport for me. In comfort it rarely happens. With throttle controller installed it still happens. When in comfort and it does happen, I use the paddle and then I am good. And it wasn't always from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #81
//TMT
Private First Class
//TMT's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Eastern Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I would have to say it ultimately is a disengaging feel, so it would be a lurch forward as if you popped the car into neutral. It would make sense of the regenerative braking but in my mind I *KNOW* it's literally the transmission disengaging, because it's the same "jerk" when you take the foot off the brake and it clunks back in gear/engages. This is NOT present at all in the sports mode. It actually is not at all present in my wife's 2016 X1.
So, the brakes are purely friction devices and can't put any energy back, like a hybrid car might. The braking comes from engine braking, which the car implements by keeping the transmission in gear and locking the torque converter. It cuts off the injectors, so there is purely kinetic energy driving the engine and alternator. I believe that this regen behavior is disabled in Sport. And as you observe, the 2016 X1 didn't have this regen feature.

Quote:
The dead spot is a completely different issue that is also exaggerated by the transmission clunking back into gear AND the dead throttle input.
It's the torque converter unlocking that causes this jerk, if my theory is correct anyway. And yes as I said the dead spot is a different issue. I'm not trying to fork the thread, just trying to explore the issues being discussed.

Quote:
I would think that it does not matter if the battery is fully charged or not, because the regenerative braking is a function of braking to gain energy. Even if the car is fully charged and then started I would think the charging system will still act the same in that aspect.
Yes, but if the battery is fully charged, the system may not be calling for this behavior. The only reason I mentioned it is as a way to test. If it *doesn't* happen with a charged battery, I believe that would confirm. If it *does* happen, it's still inconclusive.
Appreciate 1
CSBM51386.00

      10-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #82
rice_rocket88
First Lieutenant
40
Rep
357
Posts

Drives: E60 F48 F49
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Definitely agree with all of the above statements... I feel that after my software update and new turbo recall the disengage while stopping is slightly delayed in terms of the car is more fully stopped before the clunk. With all these talks I just ordered the pedal tuner just to see how things improve. I still am biased to sport mode but in a way hope to drive more in comfort with the pedal tuner. Still the the torque converter locking and unlocking I really don't like much.
Appreciate 1
CSBM51386.00

      10-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #83
spdandpwr
Lieutenant
spdandpwr's Avatar
162
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: Pending
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Definitely agree with all of the above statements... I feel that after my software update and new turbo recall the disengage while stopping is slightly delayed in terms of the car is more fully stopped before the clunk. With all these talks I just ordered the pedal tuner just to see how things improve. I still am biased to sport mode but in a way hope to drive more in comfort with the pedal tuner. Still the the torque converter locking and unlocking I really don't like much.
I think it's done to preserve the transmission under prolonged stops versus having the car push itself while the brakes are holding it back. Not sure which stress is worse overall. It's likely also emission related since you're not "wasting gas" on pushing the car forward when the car is clearly stopped.

I just think BMW didn't thoroughly test this when designing the car. I don't know if they'll fix it though. Nissan had a similarly dangerous issue called ice brake that caused many accidents and it was NEVER fixed. It was on the 370z.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #84
spdandpwr
Lieutenant
spdandpwr's Avatar
162
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: Pending
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

So I did more digging and found an article from 2012 talking about BMW linking up with it's navigation system to sense when to decouple the trans...looks like it's finally made its way into cars now that Navi is standard:

When set to Eco Pro mode, BMW claims that fuel efficiency can be boosted by as much as 25 percent, and if the driver selects the Foresight Assistant feature, their Bimmer will choose the most efficient driving route and provide tips on maximizing fuel economy through the center-mounted display. Additionally, the system can recognize when coasting would max out the MPGs, decoupling the transmission from the engine at the most opportune times.
Appreciate 2
CSBM51386.00

      10-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #85
spdandpwr
Lieutenant
spdandpwr's Avatar
162
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: Pending
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Further sleuthing...so this info isn't available on the U.S. (maybe we're #DumbAmericans, I suppose), but it was available on the international sites. Anyway, it's for the X1, but I'm sure it applies here.

For those with this issue, it looks like Sport may be the solution OR perhaps we can code off the transmission decoupling feature in EcoPro mode? I know you all said comfort, but the literature only says EcoPro and during coasting.

ECO PRO MODE.
The ECO PRO Mode helps drivers reduce their fuel consumption by up to 20 percent, depending on their driving style – according to an internal BMW fuel consumption study. The additional coasting function and ECO PRO Route offer an increased savings potential.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #86
Glazonyoursix
Enlisted Member
Glazonyoursix's Avatar
13
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: X2 M35i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

The jerking forward thing even happens while in sport for me. I have to put a big gap between the car in front and mine. It's not really fun when I'm coming to a lower speed. I also find it dumb about the whole decoupling issue. Why offer it on a performance model that's pushing 300+ HP. Offer that feature on the 28i.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #87
King_Leonard
Private First Class
55
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: 3rd Planet

iTrader: (0)

To add fuel to this slowly burning fire...has anyone noticed how harsh the auto start-stop is? My friend has an F48 X1 and his is much smoother.

My guess is that all of these issues are connected somehow.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #88
King_Leonard
Private First Class
55
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: BMW X2 M35i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: 3rd Planet

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazonyoursix View Post
The jerking forward thing even happens while in sport for me. I have to put a big gap between the car in front and mine. It's not really fun when I'm coming to a lower speed. I also find it dumb about the whole decoupling issue. Why offer it on a performance model that's pushing 300+ HP. Offer that feature on the 28i.
Same here in Sport mode. This is why I don't use sport mode in traffic.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST