BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Advice needed on my first used BMW X1

12-02-2022, 04:18 PM   #1
Fandyman83
Rep
Drives: None

Advice needed on my first used BMW X1

Hi,

I am about to spend around 24k on a used X1.

I would like your advise on whether the following spec:

X1 xDrive20i Sport from March 17
Mineral Grey
Automatic
Black w/ red highlight Dakota leather
13k miles
Automatic air conditioning
Extended storage
Front armrest
Isofix child seat system
Navigation
Sliding rear seats
Sport leather seats
18" 568 double-spoke style alloy wheels
High-gloss shadowline roof rails
Electric folding door mirrors
Sun protection glass
Additional interior lighting
Heated front seats
High-gloss black trim with pearl chrome
Active guard
Active pedestrian safety
Alarm system
BMW multimedia system
BMW online services
Cd player
Electric bootlid
Park distance control (pdc). rear
Cruise control
Harman/kardon surround sound audio syste
Park distance control front and rear
Parking assistant
Reversing camera
Performance control
Sport package
Driver comfort package
Technology pack
BMW emergency call
BMW teleservices
Dab radio
Multifunction controls on steering wheel
Passenger airbag deactivation. front
Sport automatic transmission with gearsh
Sport leather steering wheel
Tyre repair kit
Comfort access

for about 22,500 mark is a good deal to make.

I know the car is over 5 years old now but is BMW approved one and has a very low milage. I also know from the dealer the car was owned for 3-6 months by their manager when ordered apparently and later on was sold to another owner who now returned it as part exchange for new car hence this one for sale.

I've reserved it now and looking forward to test drive this week but thought I would drop a line to ask for advice as I could probably stretch to 24k max for a newer model with potentially bigger milage. I would probably be getting a slightly bigger infotainment screen as well with a newer one but this one seems like a good compromise. Maybe 19 inch alloy wheels which I do not really need. I could also go with sDrive but I guess I would keep the 2.0 size for better performance (or is it really needed on UK roads that much?).

I guess I need some general guidance and advice on this particular one and its price tag vs milage etc Also if I should be afraid of buying X1 with such a low milage? Anything I should be keeping closer eye while test driving and talking to the dealership?

Any advice appreciated!

Last edited by Fandyman83; 12-02-2022 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #2
X1604M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, F48 28i

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandyman83 View Post
Hi,

Mineral Grey
Automatic
13k miles
Extended storage
Front armrest
Isofix child seat system
Navigation
Sliding rear seats
Sport leather seats
Sun protection glass
Heated front seats
Active guard
Active pedestrian safety
Alarm system
BMW multimedia system
BMW online services
Cd player
Electric bootlid
Cruise control
Parking assistant
Reversing camera
Performance control
Sport package
Driver comfort package
Technology pack
BMW emergency call
BMW teleservices
Dab radio
Tyre repair kit
Comfort access

I know the car is over 5 years old now but is BMW approved one and has a very low milage. I also know from the dealer the car was owned for 3-6 months by their manager when ordered apparently and later on was sold to another owner who now returned it as part exchange for new car hence this one for sale.

I've reserved it now and looking forward to test drive this week but thought I would drop a line to ask for advice as I could probably stretch to 24k max for a newer model with potentially bigger milage. I would probably be getting a slightly bigger infotainment screen as well with a newer one but this one seems like a good compromise. Maybe 19 inch alloy wheels which I do not really need. I could also go with sDrive but I guess I would keep the 2.0 size for better performance (or is it really needed on UK roads that much?).

I guess I need some general guidance and advice on this particular one and its price tag vs milage etc Also if I should be afraid of buying X1 with such a low milage? Anything I should be keeping closer eye while test driving and talking to the dealership?

Any advice appreciated!
It's a great deal to me. You should just buy it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 04:23 AM   #3
Fandyman83
Rep

Thank you and I think I will.

Always confused by the trim levels as this is my first BMW. Is the Sport vs X-Line vs M Sport so much different?

With this Sport one I get sport leather seats and few other bits like heated seats, sport leather steering wheel and as a bonus reversing camera which I normally see on higher levels.

In fact I was gonna test drive M Sport today that does not have reversing camera so I guess the M Sport apart from the external styling touches, 19" alloys and few badges can be matched up by other lower specs anyway looking at this example.

Below few photos of the car (it even has the black trim around side window glass which normally come with M Sport I think).

Last but not least - would you recommend extended warranty? Looking at the https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/ it comes up at £675 per year with £100 excess. Would you recommend that after the dealership 12 month warranty?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 05:56 AM   #4
Fandyman83
Rep

I just got a vin number and used this site https://www.mdecoder.com/ to check and it shows up prod date as 2016-12-06 while the car is apparently registered as Mar 2017.

I've also received service history and the first service the car had was 10/01/2019. Does it mean the car has missed its first service in 2018?

Is this a problem in your view?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #5
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Regarding the service history , BMW do not service intervals purely on mileage ,but the cbs system monitoring the car will be working out when the car needs service , its normally around every 18,000 miles between oil services (or every 2 years max)
With regards to Extended Warranty I would not like to run a modern complex car without one. The option of excess is dependant on your risk assessment.

Try a look over at BMWLand.org and search the subject.

My 2018 20i xDrive xline is now on 60,000 miles , been very reliable , and I keep the extended warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 08:20 AM   #6
Fandyman83
Rep

Thank you Abh29 for your post.

I have now received service history and it looks like the car was serviced every year since 2019:

10.01.2019 at 5k miles
Engine oil change (remaining distance 9k miles)
Microfilter (remaining distance 9k miles)

07.01.2020 at 7k miles
Brake fluid

25.01.2021 at 8.5k miles
Engine oil (remaining distance 11k miles)
Air filter element (remaining distance 11k miles)
Vehicle check (remaining distance 11k miles)
Microfilter (remaining distance 11k miles)
Spark plugs (remaining distance 11k miles)

18.02.2022 at 11k miles
Brake fluid

Seems to me the frequencies of engine oil and brake fluid changes are quiet excessive.

Makes me think twice about the way the car was driven or am I overreacting?

Would you have any comments?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Fandyman83; 12-03-2022 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 09:34 AM   #7
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

Seem about correct
10.01.2019. Car 22 month old ,oil .service due at 24 month bit early
07.01.2020. Car 34 month old, Brake fluid change due at 3 years then every 2 years
25.01.2021 Basically these are the second oil service due 2 years after the first one. The vehicle check seems late
18.02.2022. second brake fluid change.

The amount of servicing seems high related to the mileage, but it's been due to the time period.

The next oil service (as your first one ) will be due at about 27,000 miles (or Jan 2013 on time)and the next brake fluid change in feb 2024 Assuming this is coming from a BMW dealer he should do the Oil Service before you take delivery as under the BMW sales for used cars any service required within 3 months or 3,000 miles is carried out.

I would say your fortunate its BMW not Audi. I have just been involved in my grand daughter getting a 5 year old Audi A1 that's
required an oil service every 12 month and a timing chain renewal at 5 years, 2 brake fluid changes ---- car has done 25,000
miles. The Audi dealer did the timing belt as it was overdue on age.

My son has a Merc that requires Oil Service every 12 months or 12,000 mies, compared to BMW 2 years or about 18,000 miles.

Last edited by Abh29; 12-03-2022 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: adding info
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #8
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

Just as an example my car is on 61,000 miles and cbs says

Brake fluid due in Feb 2023
Vehicle Inspection March 2023 (MoT)
Engine Oil July 2014 or 14,292 miles
Vehicle check. July 2024 or 14,292 miles

Fortunatly I can check this info on the phone

Last edited by Abh29; 12-03-2022 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: adding info
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #9
northeast
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0 Petrol X-Line

2017 X1 Brochure

Hi don’t know if this helps in trying to decipher the X1 trim levels. Also have price list from 2017 with specs if this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf The_BMW_X1_Brochure_October_2017.pdf (7.83 MB, 84 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #10
hitmankvt
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (2020) F48 X-Line

Quote:
Hi,

Mineral Grey
Automatic
13k miles
Extended storage
Front armrest
Isofix child seat system
Navigation
Sliding rear seats
Sport leather seats
Sun protection glass
Heated front seats
Active guard
Active pedestrian safety
Alarm system
BMW multimedia system
BMW online services
Cd player
Electric bootlid
Cruise control
Parking assistant
Reversing camera
Performance control
Sport package
Driver comfort package
Technology pack
BMW emergency call
BMW teleservices
Dab radio
Tyre repair kit
Comfort access

Any advice appreciated!
Quote:
Hi,

Mineral Grey
Automatic
13k miles
Extended storage
Front armrest
Isofix child seat system
Navigation
Sliding rear seats
Sport leather seats
Sun protection glass
Heated front seats
Active guard
Active pedestrian safety
Alarm system
BMW multimedia system
BMW online services
Cd player
Electric bootlid
Cruise control
Parking assistant
Reversing camera
Performance control
Sport package
Driver comfort package
Technology pack
BMW emergency call
BMW teleservices
Dab radio
Tyre repair kit
Comfort access

Any advice appreciated!
1. Are you buying this used car directly from BMW?
2. Does the car come with BMW's Premium Selection Extended Warranty? If not, can you purchase it with the car now?
3. It seems to be a decent deal on paper, but be mindful of BMW's high service costs. Especially of you aim to keep getting them done from BMW (and not any other garage).
4. I would also say that along with checking for the extended warranty, see if you can get the Service Inclusive pack. The former takes care of any major surprises (e.g engine failure after purchase), while the latter will have you covered on servicing at a cheaper cost and offer you a peace of mind that everything is done by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:48 PM   #11
Fandyman83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmankvt View Post
1. Are you buying this used car directly from BMW?
2. Does the car come with BMW's Premium Selection Extended Warranty? If not, can you purchase it with the car now?
3. It seems to be a decent deal on paper, but be mindful of BMW's high service costs. Especially of you aim to keep getting them done from BMW (and not any other garage).
4. I would also say that along with checking for the extended warranty, see if you can get the Service Inclusive pack. The former takes care of any major surprises (e.g engine failure after purchase), while the latter will have you covered on servicing at a cheaper cost and offer you a peace of mind that everything is done by BMW.

Hi hitmankvt,

Thanks for your points - it is very helpful!

I have actually managed to test drive the X1 today and was pleasantly surprised hence paid 1k towards the entire cost.

The replies to your questions below:

1. Yes.
2. Not sure and I will enquire about that for sure - Thanks!
3. Yes I am mindful and suspect it a tradeoff if I want to keep the future resale value higher? Let me know your thoughts? Any good indy garages that are BMW compliant and competitively priced?
4. Thanks again and I will definitely be investigating that tomorrow!

As for the dealer I was a bit surprised I could not see the Logbook (V5) on the spot and was told they will apply for new one. They also said everything is kept electronically now and all is in order in that respect.

Still I would like to view that too before I make the balancing payment next week.

I guess the likelihood of a car from BMW official dealership having any sort of issue with such a basic thing like missing logbook (hiding number of previous/current owners, indicating car stolen, written off or logbook loan) is very slim right? Asking as HPI check given by dealer does not show anything was checked on V5 Check.

Last but not least should I be getting the original paper version of service book with receipts or is everything now accessible and thus acceptable online?

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Fandyman83; 12-03-2022 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 04:04 PM   #12
Fandyman83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeast View Post
Hi don’t know if this helps in trying to decipher the X1 trim levels. Also have price list from 2017 with specs if this helps.
Thank you Northeast - that was useful!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #13
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

OP,

I had purchased a 2014 in 17 with low miles and bmw care+ still remaining. Had it for a couple years, extended the maintenance and put 50k miles on it as a commuter. Loved it and kept the maintenance up. Oil changes annually or every 9k. Only traded mine in to upgrade to an x4 then an X5 after that. Enjoy. Looks like you got a steal of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 12:35 AM   #14
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi hitmankvt,

I have actually managed to test drive the X1 today and was pleasantly surprised hence paid 1k towards the entire cost.

1. Yes.
3. Yes I am mindful and suspect it a tradeoff if I want to keep the future resale value higher? Let me know your thoughts? Any good indy garages that are BMW compliant and competitively priced?

As for the dealer I was a bit surprised I could not see the Logbook (V5) on the spot and was told they will apply for new one. They also said everything is kept electronically now and all is in order in that respect.

Still I would like to view that too before I make the balancing payment next week.

I guess the likelihood of a car from BMW official dealership having any sort of issue with such a basic thing like missing logbook (hiding number of previous/current owners, indicating car stolen, written off or logbook loan) is very slim right? Asking as HPI check given by dealer does not show anything was checked on V5 Check.

Last but not least should I be getting the original paper version of service book with receipts or is everything now accessible and thus acceptable online?

I would not be concerned about the logbook. I have just been involved in a used Audi for grand daughter it had a new logbook issued during the time we were discussing the car with garage , it had been on a private plate before.

I would try and retain the full dealer service as BMW can be very helpful regarding out of warranty claims with it. I dont actually see the BMW being any dearer than Audi or Mercs when factoring in the different service intervals

Regarding Service Packs these need to be very carefully looked at. The service pack ( car bought used 2100 miles old with package on from new in July 2018 as BMW were not supplying that engine at that time ) with our X1 was 4 years or 60,000 miles but the 4 years came up with the car still 6,000 short of its next service. You need to look carefully at the miles/age limits and the option of normal services or a dearer package including brakes.

The packages available from BMW vary from country to country as do the service needs. A more accurate opinion on the UK situation can be found over on BMWLand.org.me

Last edited by Abh29; 12-04-2022 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: adding info
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 05:43 AM   #15
Fandyman83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgx5 View Post
OP,

I had purchased a 2014 in 17 with low miles and bmw care+ still remaining. Had it for a couple years, extended the maintenance and put 50k miles on it as a commuter. Loved it and kept the maintenance up. Oil changes annually or every 9k. Only traded mine in to upgrade to an x4 then an X5 after that. Enjoy. Looks like you got a steal of a deal.
Thanks Surgx5 for your post.

Btw, I've just noticed the car does not come with LED headlights. I am wondering if I can ask BMW to retrofit them instead of doing it myself (probably would void any extended warranty?). What is the difference between the OEM and LED apart from the obvious energy efficiency? I am not sure this car would have auto cornering option included if not standard as I've read the LED headlight come with auto cornering on some models.

One other thing the dealer has offered ceramic coat paint protection as part of the valeting process. Apparently it helps with traffic dirt & grime, extremes of temperature, plant and tree sap, atmospheric pollutants and ultraviolet exposure. The said they would do it for £495 first time. It would have to be done every after 5 years. Anyone has any experience with that?

Last but not least I noticed the car does not have AUTO option on the dipped beam. I suspect this could be on the 0 option as found on the other posts but could not verify it during test drive. Would you know if this would the case and dipped beam would be auto switched on after sunset? I understand that AUTO full beam is out of question here.

Mine is number 1 on the diagram below:
Attached Images

Last edited by Fandyman83; 12-04-2022 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 07:39 AM   #16
Fandyman83
Rep

One other thing I remembered is the BMW GAP insurance.

Are you considering or in fact taking it yourselves?

What is your opinion on that?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 07:59 AM   #17
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

Gap Insurance
Firstly I would suggest you see what your insurer covers (mine is replace with similar for 2 years), secondly if you do run with Gap cover,look outside any car dealer. One being popular at present is www.gapinsurance.co.uk. Dealer make big profits on Gap Insurance

Ceramic Paint Protection,
if you go ahead with that , try a good detailing company. Dealer tend to bring them in and add a large profit on their charge.Someone over on www.BMWLand.org.uk will be able to recommend a suitable company in your area.

Headlights
I have LED headlights and have no experience of the Halogen. On my previous X1. 2014 (e84) I had Zenons that dipped for oncoming traffic , absolutly great. I would imagine the cost of obtaining LED lights from a main dealer will be very expensive , if you do proceed try sourcing used lights from someone like Quarry motors in Sheffield. (they may even fit them for you.) I have switch 2 and keep it on the left side lights side
dipped light come on when required. Cornering lights I find useless on the LED but were great on Zenons

Maps
It worth checking if you have the latest map update ,if not try and get the dealer to do it FoC, don't pay the dealer but get a subsciption on ConnectDrive its got various sections,on annual subsciption.

You may gather I try to cut out the dealers when I can.

Last edited by Abh29; 12-04-2022 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: adding info
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #18
Fandyman83
Rep

Thanks for your suggestions Abh29 - very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 05:47 PM   #19
Fandyman83
Rep

One thing I forgot to mention (as in general I was pleasantly surprised by the overall test drive experience) which keeps bugging me after test driving it was the fact that the car kept visibly pulling to left when pulling to a stop from a high speed. That happened to me once or twice on a motorway when braking before traffic in front and at a junction. I did not have many occasions to retest that so did not think much of it at the time.

When I think about pre test drive walk around the car I remembered I had an impression it was kinda leaning to left side when looked at the front but again did not think much of it then. Now I am having second thoughts.

I've mentioned this to the dealer and he said that could just have been the surface difference on that particular stretch of the road but I was not convinced.

Could that be something serious I should insist on checking out?

I've mentioned I would expect this to be checked before car is delivered but not sure they will pick up on that.

Should I take a 2nd test drive (if I am given the chance as there were 2 other ppl potentially interested in driving it too and ready to put deposit down) to check it before I make the final balancing payment?

I am reading on forums that the car may just need the steering alignment that would be done as part of the pre sale service before the car is handed over to me so that would be a relief.

I just hope I do not end up with a huge bill straight after purchase...

Last edited by Fandyman83; 12-05-2022 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #20
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

They should sort out the pulling under braking before you get the car, put it in writing now so they can not deny knowing.

Easy to check if its uneven, park on level
surface then measure from centre of wheel to wheel arch on both sides.

My first idea would be tyre pressure as its pulling in the direction that has a lean.

I tend to get the cars checked for alignment each spring,on a Hunter rig www.alignmycar.co.uk.it does all four wheels , its surprising how they get knocked driving from pot hole to pot hole.Saves uneven tyre wear.

If any trouble does develope you have a good BMW warranty, but if concerned ask to see the check that car has not been involved in serious accident. They should have that check already done.

Don't anticipate the dealer will get it all correct before you get the car. The Audi A1 for our grand daughter was delivered in absolutly perfect condition , inside and outside,the engine bay was spotless,levels all correct and 3/4 tank of petrol. BUT they let themselves down ,tyre pressures were all 1.6bar should be 2.3/2.2 bar

Last edited by Abh29; 12-05-2022 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: adding info
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 08:39 AM   #21
hitmankvt
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (2020) F48 X-Line

Quote:

Hi hitmankvt,

1. Yes.

The dealer is correct regarding the service booklet feedback, i.e BMW stores everything now electronically in the car's dashboard unit.

Your observation regarding the car pulling to one side seems to be a wheel alignment issue - and BMW should fix that before delivery of the car (wheel alignment will cost out of pocket if done otherwise).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #22
Fandyman83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh29 View Post
They should sort out the pulling under braking before you get the car, put it in writing now so they can not deny knowing.

Easy to check if its uneven, park on level
surface then measure from centre of wheel to wheel arch on both sides.

My first idea would be tyre pressure as its pulling in the direction that has a lean.

I tend to get the cars checked for alignment each spring,on a Hunter rig www.alignmycar.co.uk.it does all four wheels , its surprising how they get knocked driving from pot hole to pot hole.Saves uneven tyre wear.

If any trouble does develope you have a good BMW warranty, but if concerned ask to see the check that car has not been involved in serious accident. They should have that check already done.

Don't anticipate the dealer will get it all correct before you get the car. The Audi A1 for our grand daughter was delivered in absolutly perfect condition , inside and outside,the engine bay was spotless,levels all correct and 3/4 tank of petrol. BUT they let themselves down ,tyre pressures were all 1.6bar should be 2.3/2.2 bar
Hi Abh29,

Thanks again for valuable input.

I did indeed emailed them about the pulling to the left on braking few days back.

I will, however, measure from centre of wheel to wheel arch on both sides as suggested when parked on level surface on the pick up day before any final payment.

I've now also asked about the damage checks and just received an HPI check results which show among other things the car has been cleared on Insurance Write Off (Damage) so that is a relief. Other checks came back positive as well so glad I asked.

Thanks for the alignment suggestions with the www.alignmycar.co.uk.it. I will be checking that for sure.
Appreciate 0