BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Might buy back my old Mazdaspeed6

02-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #45
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
The Mazda 6 has a fantastic chassis with very capable and stable handling.. Bonus that they are nice and light. The 2.3L engine has pretty great delivery and feels fast but they are driven so hard... these things throw a rod all the time. If people used better oil and didn't run the crap out of these I know they can last. But Mazda's newer 2.5L engine is built much stronger than this. From a chassis/drivetrain fundementals perspective Mazda's are great cars. My 2015 6 has been very reliable and the 2.5L engine has good torque.
His MS6 has the boosted MZR.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #46
Moisture
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mazda 6, 2020 Lexus NX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
His MS6 has the boosted MZR.
I know, the 2.3L. I am talking about Mazda's Skyactiv 2.5L NA in the Newer 6. That's a nice car.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #47
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
& just like that, car is gone again. Sold it on Saturday for nice $2,500ish profit. I did put up some WTB ads for a big turbo MS6, though. Maybe I'll find a clean one priced right. Couple guys already tried to sell me theirs for over $15k hahahaha these cars are, sadly, not worth near that.
Appreciate 2
Conissah1574.50
1and11851.50
      03-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #48
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Slightly off topic... I owned a first gen Ms3 back in 08-09... and by god that was the worst car i've ever owned in my life.

1) Unholy torque steer
2) massive traction problems
3) unreliable motor that was known to have rods blow like no tomorrow
4) 0 tuning potential at the time

Granted I assume the speed6 doesn't have problems 1 or 2... but man I hated my Ms3.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #49
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Slightly off topic... I owned a first gen Ms3 back in 08-09... and by god that was the worst car i've ever owned in my life.

1) Unholy torque steer

Granted I assume the speed6 doesn't have problems 1 or 2... but man I hated my Ms3.
I think all of that is still true except 4. I've seen some pretty fast ones. Horrible car to drive, I've spent a fair amount of time with both generations of MS3.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #50
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:

1) Unholy torque steer

I think all of that is still true except 4. I've seen some pretty fast ones. Horrible car to drive, I've spent a fair amount of time with both generations of MS3.
Beyond me how anyone with more than 5 mins of reasearch would buy this crap over a well built car like a GTI... i did 2 mins if research at the time.
      03-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #51
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) Unholy torque steer

Beyond me how anyone with more than 5 mins of reasearch would buy this crap over a well built car like a GTI... i did 2 mins if research at the time.
And I have a GTI, let's talk next time.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #52
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) Unholy torque steer

I have an M2C... my fwd experiences have been over for close to 10 years... thank god.
      03-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #53
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) Unholy torque steer

I have an M2C... my fwd experiences have been over for close to 10 years... thank god.
Ha, I get it. I have a kid and a dog that requires the rear windows go down and the M3 isn't for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #54
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

1) Unholy torque steer

0 tuning potential? You are wrong. I bought my 1st MS6 new in 2007 & Cobb already had the AP out & I tuned it with that soon after. Did you not expect tq steer with FWD?

Also, please don't turn my thread into the GTI club.
Appreciate 1
1and11851.50
      03-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #55
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Well back when they first came out, yeah there was very few aftermarket support, let alone tuners.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #56
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i; Looking for F80

From what I recall that's completely untrue? I remember COBB, Corksport, and CP-E (amongst others) coming out with stuff ASAP. I was following along closely on the forums as I was trying to get into an MS3 or MS6, but just couldn't make the financials work as I was still paying off my Mazdaspeed Protégé.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #57
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEZV View Post
From what I recall that's completely untrue? I remember COBB, Corksport, and CP-E (amongst others) coming out with stuff ASAP. I was following along closely on the forums as I was trying to get into an MS3 or MS6, but just couldn't make the financials work as I was still paying off my Mazdaspeed Protégé.
Exactly. I had my brand new 07 MS6 nicely modded within weeks of buying it
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #58
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
0 tuning potential? You are wrong. I bought my 1st MS6 new in 2007 & Cobb already had the AP out & I tuned it with that soon after. Did you not expect tq steer with FWD?

Also, please don't turn my thread into the GTI club.
1) Cobb did have the AP but it did not have access to all of the fueling tables at the time... I only knew 2 people using it at the time, one blew the motor, the other never had consistent results with it... plus tuning a FWD car further just made it worse and worse for obvious reasons.

2) The so called GTI club somehow magically doesn't deal with TQ steer. how? Its a well designed fwd car with a proper steering and front suspension geometry setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #59
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think that if you're looking for limited torque steer, the CTR and Focus RS are the best. The GTI is decent, but not nearly as nice as those two.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #60
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think that if you're looking for limited torque steer, the CTR and Focus RS are the best. The GTI is decent, but not nearly as nice as those two.
Neither of my MS6 had tq steer. I'm looking for a built big turbo version now. AWD FTW
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #61
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Quote:
Neither of my MS6 had tq steer. I'm looking for a built big turbo version now. AWD FTW
Hard to believe as it's early Haldex that's 100% fwd until slip is detected. The first R32 had the same setup and has plenty of torque steer, as does the MS3. Haldex was painfully slow to react back then.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #62
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hard to believe as it's early Haldex that's 100% fwd until slip is detected. The first R32 had the same setup and has plenty of torque steer, as does the MS3. Haldex was painfully slow to react back then.
I never got tq steer in either MS6. Great cars IMO
Appreciate 0