BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Seeking help from past & current X1 owners on post purchase ownership experience

03-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Lightbulb Seeking help from past & current X1 owners on post purchase ownership experience

Hey Guys

Seeking feedback from current, past, and future X1 owners. Looking at low mile CPO 18/19’. Have not ruled out 20’ if fits the bill. Couple things noticed on test drive of a 18’ recently:

Wind noise from passengers rear window area. Best described as driving when windows aren’t fully UP position. They were, I made sure to triple check them - along with the panoramic roof.

How common a problem is this? Just like chasing down interior rattles (that never get solved by the dealer). Wind noise falls into that same category to me. A problem that would waste time attempting and failing to be remedied, more of a hassle to deal with.

Also noticing that majority of X1’s do not include Xenon/LED headlights. Almost a deal breaker to me as I think the front facia looks complete with BMW signature angel eyes.

Any and all comments are welcomed here, good and bad. Please share your experience of ownership and if relatable or other issues to be aware of.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I think the wind noise is there on both my X1 and X2 depending on how the crosswinds are. In general I don't hear it, but maybe once or twice a week I'll hear it for a second, check the windows.. and then it's gone again.

Beats me on the LED.. it was a must for me, I think it was on the tech package? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it might be standard now on the 2020's.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

No rattles, no wind noise issues in our ‘19 after almost eight months. Haven’t had any issues yet that needed a return trip to the dealer. Very happy with the driving feel and experience.

The way the X1 is packaged here, the LED headlights are almost universal and I’ve never seen one without them. That said, it’d be a dealbreaker for me too. I always buy the upgraded lighting on any vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
31 Express
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

I bought my 2018 new and never noticed any excessive wind noise and no rattles after 40k. Unfortunately I have a thread going which explains a more frustrating issue that the X1 is having. Just a rare unlucky thing specific to my vehicle most likely.
Other complaints are:
Suspension rides rough
Headlights (As you mentioned)
Small outdated display.

Good points: Fun car to drive with good fuel economy. There are some fairly inexpensive motor and exhaust performance mods which really make the snappy and sound nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 10:23 PM   #5
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Very happy with my 2016 X1. Nothing noted yet that would keep me from buying another X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #6
Zookol
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 S drive

I have a 2018 X1 and love it so far. The vehicle is louder than I would prefer, but no louder than the GTI I cross shopped. Great total package with good interior room and good fuel economy.

I believe the LED headlights (at least on the 2018s) are part of the premium package which also includes heated seats and the head-up display which is a must have in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #7
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

I haven't noticed any wind noise on mine. Only noise I hear is tire noise and it's not too bad. No rattles whatsoever after 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Zookol
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 S drive

Agree with Jorix. There is no wind noise. Mostly road/tire noise and that is very surface dependent
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #9
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Express View Post
I bought my 2018 new and never noticed any excessive wind noise and no rattles after 40k. Unfortunately I have a thread going which explains a more frustrating issue that the X1 is having. Just a rare unlucky thing specific to my vehicle most likely.
Other complaints are:
Suspension rides rough
Headlights (As you mentioned)
Small outdated display.
You can't really complain about halogen headlights and small screen. These are fixed with more $$$, just add the premium package. But I agree BMW should make these standard with higher base price.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:40 AM   #10
Doppelbock
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive28i

I have owned my 2020 X1 since October of last year and it has a bit over 2.4K Kilometers (~1.5K miles) at this point. So far so good, but it is a new car. I have a pano sunroof and I don't feel the noise is too bad. I'm not the biggest fan of the runflats, they are a bit rough on broken surfaces. At this point I'm going to leave them on the car until they wear out and look for a better option, so obviously I can live with them.

I personally would not buy another car without LED headlights. I feel they are much better than anything with halogen in them. I drove my wife's Honda last night and I was thinking to myself how much I missed the headlights on my X1.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 04:42 AM   #11
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelbock View Post
I personally would not buy another car without LED headlights.
That's until they break and you realize they cost 3000 euros
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelbock View Post
I have owned my 2020 X1 since October of last year and it has a bit over 2.4K Kilometers (~1.5K miles) at this point. So far so good, but it is a new car. I have a pano sunroof and I don't feel the noise is too bad. I'm not the biggest fan of the runflats, they are a bit rough on broken surfaces. At this point I'm going to leave them on the car until they wear out and look for a better option, so obviously I can live with them.

I personally would not buy another car without LED headlights. I feel they are much better than anything with halogen in them. I drove my wife's Honda last night and I was thinking to myself how much I missed the headlights on my X1.
Agreed with the run-flats. I am going to replace them with a set of Pilot Sport 3 as soon as the OEMs are worn out. I have these on my other car, night and day difference.

I think Xenon headlights are still better than LEDs. I drove my other car with Xenons the other day, that thing makes the LED on the X1 a pair of halogen lights only whiter, no kidding. I think manufacturers switches headlights to LED because it is brighter than halogen but cheaper than Xenon.
Appreciate 0