BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) The F48 & Apple CarPlay - MJE60 guide

04-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
NJDK
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi,

I have seen the same solution. However, it is not just that straight forward. I was advised by the dealer of the equipment in the Nordics that it was best if i had a professional to install it. The total price of the equipment is currently too high i would say just to get Carplay and Mirror link, so I have chosen to wait and see for a bit what happens.

I have also contacted BMW group in Germany and addressed the issue so many BMW owners have and they have actually replied to my first mail asking for my car info etc. Now im awaiting their final reply. Let's see what they have to say to this absurd issue.

On another note, does anyone know how to see precisely which ID that is in the Car?
Seems like some are Navientry etc. running a ID6 skin, but until now I have not been able to find the precise specifications of my headunit anywhere.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
ttimbo280.00
      04-28-2019, 11:50 PM   #24
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Apparently, there is an aftermarket kit that will fit an F48 series radio for $469 on Amazon from a company called Unichip Smartauto Solutions.

I've just contacted them and waiting for a response.

It's supposed to work with iDrive but requires an included microphone.
I'll watch this with interest, too. I hope it works and is a possible solution. I've recently updated the headunit in my 2015 Renault Megane Trophy-R to enable Android Auto/Mirrorlink by just a little coding; it would be great if the same could be done with the F48 X1
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #25
cryze
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 sDrive 18d

I ordered the Unique Auto Developments wireless carplay box.

They told me it works with my headunit, so I'll be the guinea pig and report back once I have it installed.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #26
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Very disappointing

The answer is NO
I even sent her my VIN
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #27
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
The answer is NO
I even sent her my VIN
So which F48 X1's does it work with ???
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 02:18 AM   #28
cryze
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
My 2016 X1 has a Magneti Marelli EN2 Entrynav headunit with 8.8" (non-touch) screen -- the interface looks like NBT ID4 -- and Unique Auto Developments told me their product is compatible with this headunit, but not the new one.

They also mentioned they would have a product specifically for the new headunits coming out in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:55 AM   #29
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
My 2016 X1 has a Magneti Marelli EN2 Entrynav headunit with 8.8" (non-touch) screen -- the interface looks like NBT ID4 -- and Unique Auto Developments told me their product is compatible with this headunit, but not the new one.

They also mentioned they would have a product specifically for the new headunits coming out in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for this. Can you please post the link to their product/website?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:57 AM   #30
cryze
Portugal
Rep

Here's the product webpage:
https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/carp...ies-2013-2016/

Here's the F30 forums page about the product:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1597999
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
ttimbo280.00
      05-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #31
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryze View Post
I ordered the Unique Auto Developments wireless carplay box.

They told me it works with my headunit, so I'll be the guinea pig and report back once I have it installed.
I can't wait to hear back if you get this and it works well. Adding in carplay to my 2016 F48 would be HUGE. I do enjoy the built in nav most of the time however there are times when using Waze makes much more sense and the loss of HUD turn notifications will not be a huge loss.

Did they provide any information on how you switch between the factory idrive and the carplay display? Other units I think you held down the menu button, I'm not sure if this is the case with this one? I couldn't tell from the video.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:34 AM   #32
cryze
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
I can't wait to hear back if you get this and it works well. Adding in carplay to my 2016 F48 would be HUGE. I do enjoy the built in nav most of the time however there are times when using Waze makes much more sense and the loss of HUD turn notifications will not be a huge loss.

Did they provide any information on how you switch between the factory idrive and the carplay display? Other units I think you held down the menu button, I'm not sure if this is the case with this one? I couldn't tell from the video.
It should arrive today according to DHL. I'll set it up as soon as I'm off work.

As for switching, you either press Menu for a second or it switches automatically when it pairs with your phone, if it's already set-up.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #33
ScottR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 iDrive 28i

I ordered the JoyeAuto wireless Carplay unit for my 2016 F48 / 10/2015 build with HU_ENTURYNAV. After placing my order, I found this thread and read about the issues Cryze had with this unit. I was thinking about sending it back, but it arrived on Friday and I installed over the weekend.

During my installation I found there is little room underneath the headunit and I could tell there was no way to get all of the cables tucked in and get the dash panels re-installed. I didn't want to rip my car apart, but I couldn't find any other option to mount the unit so I removed the glove box and mounted it on the metal beam above the glovebox.

Unit seems to work great on Carplay functions wireless. I am still learning about using it with the telephone functions and I also have the bluetooth paired with the factory audio (just the telephone option paired) so it will use the microphones in the car v/s the additional mic that is installed for the "Hey Siri" function to work.

I was thinking I would miss the touch screen functionality but using the iDrive controller and the steering wheel controls work for selecting options in Carplay great. The telephone buttons work if you have the unit paired with factory bluetooth.

To switch between the factory audio and Carplay you long press the back button.

Here are some pictures from my installation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
      05-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #34
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

I've seen mention of the hey siri before. Does this mean you can't press the voice talk button and get siri to activate in the carplay you need it to listen for hey siri all the time?

When you are placing calls are you using the phone app in carplay or bailing out to the native stuff?

I do like that the steering wheel controls work with this unit you don't get that with factor carplay.

In the other forum linked people were asking if you saw weird stuff happening in the native idrive while carplay was running if you were navigating around since the i/o from the controller is being sent to both units at the same time? Can you check and see what's up there? I'd had to do something silly like delete a car drive profile b/c of "rogue" inputs to idrvie from a unit like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #35
ScottR
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 iDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
I've seen mention of the hey siri before. Does this mean you can't press the voice talk button and get siri to activate in the carplay you need it to listen for hey siri all the time?

When you are placing calls are you using the phone app in carplay or bailing out to the native stuff?

I do like that the steering wheel controls work with this unit you don't get that with factor carplay.

In the other forum linked people were asking if you saw weird stuff happening in the native idrive while carplay was running if you were navigating around since the i/o from the controller is being sent to both units at the same time? Can you check and see what's up there? I'd had to do something silly like delete a car drive profile b/c of "rogue" inputs to idrvie from a unit like this.

I'm still working on the "best" way for the phone app to work. It seems if you don't pair the unit with bluetooth then it wont use the factory mics built into the car. I am using the carplay function to place phone calls. It seems if the voice talk button doesn't bring up the Siri function at all. You can use the "Hey Siri" function or tap the Menu button on the iDrive controller to activate Siri.

One thing that may want to be noted. This unit basically uses the aux "line input" from the headunit. Once you switch to the input - you basically go into carplay mode. Any functions like FM/Sat Radio will not be broadcast since the input is using the AUX port. Although if you are using factory nav instructions will still be broadcast. The heads up display also will not show any carplay navigation information but will still show factory nav if you are using it.

I haven't seen any issues with the iDrive after installation although I haven't driven the car much as it isn't my daily driver. Will check on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #36
cryze
Portugal
Rep

I'm very happy to report that this unit works as expected.

I managed to fit everything below the headunit, after the experience with the Joyeauto wired carplay device, it was very easy to do it again, but some neat cable routing helps a lot when fitting the box below the headunit. Beware that the dash trim has very sharp edges especially if you have leather seats, and make sure to have some towels to protect the center console when removing the headunit.

I also placed the Mic behind the iDrive screen, it has a big enough gap for the cable to route behind the screen and the mic remains hidden away.

Quick thoughts:
The screen does seem a bit stretched vertically, as mentioned by others. If it wasn't pointed out by others I would probably not think about it twice. In the settings though you can tweak Brightness, Contrast, Hue and Saturation.

The wheel controls and iDrive works as expected though it takes a little bit getting used to because of the horizontal nature of the Carplay UI.

Music sounds less bright in comparison with direct USB input to the car. I tried using the EQ in the carplay box's settings but even though it displays a few frequency bands I could only switch between presets. EQing should fix the sound without messing with the iDrive's EQ, if I can find my way to move the bands I want.

Voice commands also work pretty well, I'm not having any issues with siri recognizing my voice, and it's pretty fast. I'm guessing it depends on the phone.

An extra detail is that they include a very fancy looking USB drive in the box for possible future updates and a dash trim tool. So you won't need to buy trim tools, and you only need a 20 Torx for the screws.

I recommend it happily.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #37
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Hey folks.. Just FYI, there's a lengthy discussion over in the F30 forums regarding the Unique-AD CarPlay integration:

MJE60678.00
      05-09-2019, 03:11 AM   #38
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Hey folks.. Just FYI, there's a lengthy discussion over in the F30 forums regarding the Unique-AD CarPlay integration:

Thanks for link, I had a quick look and strongly suspect their kits are good for NBT and Entrynav HU but not for ENTRYNAV2. I will try and contact them and get a definite answer. F48 built before 08/2017 should have Entrynav HU so android kits are widely available but this is first which appears to deliver reliable CarPlay without music skipping problems.

Note: ENTRYNAV2 are usually in F48 built from 08/2017 onwards with NBTevo screen skin/layout. Again F48 owners in Japan, Taiwan and Russia with s609 professional Nav are lucky to actually have NBTevo HU so Carplay can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #39
NJDK
Rep

Hi guys,

Have anyone thought about just to upgrade the HU to an S609A instead of spending several hundred USD on this additional unit for an entrynav HU?

I mean the price may be a little higher if bought second hand, but then you get OEM equipment where apple CarPlay easily can be coded according to my info. And you need to take out the HU anyway in order to install the additional CarPlay adapter, so why not just change the HU?

Am I missing something or is this not a possible alternative?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:37 PM   #40
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDK View Post
Hi guys,

Have anyone thought about just to upgrade the HU to an S609A instead of spending several hundred USD on this additional unit for an entrynav HU?

I mean the price may be a little higher if bought second hand, but then you get OEM equipment where apple CarPlay easily can be coded according to my info. And you need to take out the HU anyway in order to install the additional CarPlay adapter, so why not just change the HU?

Am I missing something or is this not a possible alternative?
Yes, I have seen NBTevo HU upgrades available for F48, they could easily come with professional Nav s609 (easy as fsc codes are readily available). The advantages are, fsc codes are available so Carplay, decent professional Nav, office functions, enhanced Bluetooth can be coded if not already included.
However this is not an easy diy upgrade, just look at number of people begging for help on E-sys and other coding forums. So, probably need to buy package, I think Bimmertech had them including new 8.8” touch screen and touch controller. Therefore biggest downside is price. Other issues are having to use donor VIN emulator approach (but alternative may be possible, I think Bimmertech solution does not use emulator) and finally losing BMW connected drive services and possibly dealer support in the event of problems. [so I would always keep old HU and other parts].

Overall if your car is out of warranty, you have older Entrynav HU and really want CarPlay, or just better Nav than the poor quality BMW business package, it is an option well worth considering. I think prices start at $1,200 (but full kit , HU, screen, touch controller and touch controller modelled is I believe nearer $2,500).I would be extremely careful just buying an NBTevo HU and hoping you can install it without issues, do some research first. If you have the spare cash to use a package service like Bimmertech (and others) then hands down- it would be my first choice.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-11-2019 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      05-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #41
NJDK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Yes, I have seen NBTevo HU upgrades available for F48, they could easily come with professional Nav s609 (easy as fsc codes are readily available). The advantages are, fsc codes are available so Carplay, decent professional Nav, office functions, enhanced Bluetooth can be coded if not already included.
However this is not an easy diy upgrade, just look at number of people begging for help on E-sys and other coding forums. So, probably need to buy package, I think Bimmertech had them including new 8.8” touch screen and touch controller. Therefore biggest downside is price. Other issues are having to use donor VIN emulator approach (but alternative may be possible) and finally losing BMW connected drive services and possibly dealer support in the event of problems. [so I would always keep old HU and other parts].

Overall if your car is out of warranty, you have older Entrynav HU and really want CarPlay, or just better Nav than the poor quality BMW business package, it is an option well worth considering. I think prices start at $1,200. I would be extremely careful just buying an NBTevo HU and hoping you can install it without issues, do some research first. If you have the spare cash to use a package service like Bimmertech (and others) then hands down- it would be my first choice.
Thanks MJE60.

Sounds more complicated than first anticipated..
I wonder if it’s a matter of time before someone break the surface and then you can code the entrynav/entrynav2? For me it’s only about alternative maps, so can easily wait, though It would be nice sooner rather than later
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-11-2019, 01:57 AM   #42
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
However this is not an easy diy upgrade, just look at number of people begging for help on E-sys and other coding forums. So, probably need to buy package, I think Bimmertech had them including new 8.8” touch screen and touch controller. Therefore biggest downside is price. Other issues are having to use donor VIN emulator approach (but alternative may be possible) and finally losing BMW connected drive services and possibly dealer support in the event of problems. [so I would always keep old HU and other parts].

Overall if your car is out of warranty, you have older Entrynav HU and really want CarPlay, or just better Nav than the poor quality BMW business package, it is an option well worth considering. I think prices start at $1,200. I would be extremely careful just buying an NBTevo HU and hoping you can install it without issues, do some research first. If you have the spare cash to use a package service like Bimmertech (and others) then hands down- it would be my first choice.
Thanks MJE60.

Sounds more complicated than first anticipated..
I wonder if it’s a matter of time before someone break the surface and then you can code the entrynav/entrynav2? For me it’s only about alternative maps, so can easily wait, though It would be nice sooner rather than later
Unfortunately, everything about BMW's implementation of CarPlay is more complicated than it ought to be
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #43
basmusicman
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 f48

Carplay upgrade

I have just had a chat with the guys unique auto developments and they say they are releasing a carplay unit next week that will fit my x1 f48 2019 with either the 6.5 or 8.8 screen and no aux and entry evo hu no confirmed price yet but is thought to be about £469 will be ordering when released will update once fitted
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
      05-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #44
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

So, here is my case. I didn't order the CarPlay Preparation option when I purchased the car (the car is MY2019). I read that that's not an issue, since you can get it OTA from ConnectedDrive. I am still not sure if I have CarPlay compatibility in my car or not, though.
I spoke with customer support today and they told me that CarPlay is not yet available in my country (Bulgaria), but should be available in the following months and then I need to log on my ConnectedDrive and buy it. I asked the guy if my car has the hardware necessary, but he wasn't sure.

In my dealer's options list it says "Apple CarPlay preparation (6UN/6UP required)". I do have 6UN, but not 6UP. Also, when I connect my iPhone to the car and long-press the voice assist button on the steering wheel, Siri engages and I am able to operate my iPhone from it. However, when I say "launch CarPlay", the assistant replies "Apple CarPlay is not available". So I am confused. Can I get CarPlay, or no ? I guess I'll have to wait and see when they launch it in my country.

Edit: Customer Support just called me back - I can't use CarPlay, since I need the bigger screen... Nice that it was explained somewhere when I purchased the car. I guess they think it's obvious.

Last edited by Jorix; 05-29-2019 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0