BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Help need for s322a comfort access retrofit

01-23-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Help need for s322a comfort access retrofit

Hello guys,

I'm stuck on the project for S322A Comfort Access retrofit and I need some help.
The car is an F48 18d from 2016.
I found the necessary parts here:
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F4...search?s=S322a

Before starting to disassemble the car for mounting the parts, we tried to made a test to see it working, by connecting the external antennas and the other parts to the BDC.
But the problem we were confronted was that the BDC didn't recognized none of the external antennas.
Mention: all the connections were made properly, as in the instructions found on ISTA+, by a technician who's work in a bmw service.

Does anybody know if my car's BDC 6825528 can be coded for the S322A to work?
Or I need another BDC with comfort access function already built in?
If I need another BDC, can someone indicate a code for this part?

Another mention: I read on the F30 forum that for that model a new FEM MAX module is needed (FEM is the similar of the BDC).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #2
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone, any info regarding the above subject?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:52 PM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Anyone, any info regarding the above subject?
You have all the antennas?

Including the door handle ones?

Do you have a key that has CA?

It's a very expensive mod you've undertaken. I would check 3 series forum, there's a lot of guys over there who know a lot about coding.

I have CA on my e82 and my CA module was destroyed by water. I found one with the same part number and I didn't have to code it but the right door handle doesn't work which I think is because of the handle and not the module.

Did you code the car to have comfort access?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Hello guys,

I'm stuck on the project for S322A Comfort Access retrofit and I need some help.
The car is an F48 18d from 2016.
I found the necessary parts here:
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F4...search?s=S322a

Before starting to disassemble the car for mounting the parts, we tried to made a test to see it working, by connecting the external antennas and the other parts to the BDC.
But the problem we were confronted was that the BDC didn't recognized none of the external antennas.
Mention: all the connections were made properly, as in the instructions found on ISTA+, by a technician who's work in a bmw service.

Does anybody know if my car's BDC 6825528 can be coded for the S322A to work?
Or I need another BDC with comfort access function already built in?
If I need another BDC, can someone indicate a code for this part?

Another mention: I read on the F30 forum that for that model a new FEM MAX module is needed (FEM is the similar of the BDC).
Hi
This looks like a question best asked from the experts in coding and retrofit forum, they will have done this retrofit on other f series cars.

Anyhow, you indicate you have bought all hardware for s322 retrofit, can you confirm “everything” including new door handles, boot/trunk lid switch etc and not just additional parts like control unit, sensor wires and antenna. You also say qualified technician did wiring and check, so you are 100% certain that all links/sections of wiring for the antennas is complete and correct for s322?

If all parts are correctly fitted, how did you test? You say BDC did not recognise antenna, was this from E-sys? As you know ..... not all parts will be plug and play, the BDC will need coding to look for, recognise and communicate with new parts as well as enable the comfort access feature in all relevant modules. This will need to be done by VO coding s322 using E-sys. As part of adding s322 the system will check (read and activate the new FA) the configuration and hardware (because you will be coding all FDL’s - 100% of ECU) also new modules may need I-step to match rest of your car version, only once this check is o.k can coding occur. Did you do this?

Sorry if you did all of the above and antenna still not recognised, it may be helpful to re-check SVT and i-step of parts/modules and look through E-sys activation to make sure all issues it identified are sorted.

As you also know, the BDC includes security and immobiliser functions which have security locked and hidden files. Comfort access integrates/interacts directly with the security system, IMO you may need BMW service centre bench unlocking/coding (rather similar to new key coding) to enable. I doubt comfort access can be enabled without security coding because the new components, for example the smart opening module , the touch door handles etc are by-passing previous security configuration/arrangements. Have you checked and eliminated this?

Finally, my questions are a check-list for you, no answer required, good luck and best wishes, I hope you get this resolved quickly.

Last edited by MJE60; 01-25-2021 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 04:09 PM   #5
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi MJE60,

Thank you for your reply and for the answers.

In fact I didn't bought the door handles, because I just want the smart opening for the trunk.
So, I have al the external antenas (3 pcs), wire sensors, smart opening unit, cables.
A technician from a bmw service center made all the connections and the codings, but I saw it using ISTA+. Is the same as E-Sys ?
I'm not coding myself... I don't even know what is VO, I-step and so on.

Getting back to my questions, should I understand that my BDC can be programmed for Access Comfort or not?
Should I buy a new BDC with s322a already coded / enabled ?

Thank you in advance for your time, knowledge and kind help.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #6
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Hi MJE60,

Thank you for your reply and for the answers.

In fact I didn't bought the door handles, because I just want the smart opening for the trunk.
So, I have al the external antenas (3 pcs), wire sensors, smart opening unit, cables.
A technician from a bmw service center made all the connections and the codings, but I saw it using ISTA+. Is the same as E-Sys ?
I'm not coding myself... I don't even know what is VO, I-step and so on.

Getting back to my questions, should I understand that my BDC can be programmed for Access Comfort or not?
Should I buy a new BDC with s322a already coded / enabled ?

Thank you in advance for your time, knowledge and kind help.

Regards
Hi
Before I reply to your questions I want to go back to basics. You said your BDC was not recognising the antenna, this will be either hardware/physical issue or a software/interface issue. You said a BMW technician fitted using ISTA, so it is probable that wiring, fitting and parts have been checked and correct. This is why my first reply was to check wiring then look at software/interface. If software/interface is the problem then it can be calibration, activation, security feature/lock or coding/enabling. I assumed if ISTA and diagnostic tools were used it is not calibration or activation and the technician should have easily known if security (like keys) was needed, so this left enabling/coding as most likely area.. Most features on BMW, including fitting new hardware require coding/enabling. Full option features like s322 require enabling using VO or FDL coding and the tool used for this is E-Sys. This is why I asked about VO coding . The risk of course is that the antenna have not been fitted correctly and I am causing a distraction. Only you can know if you are certain, fitting and installation are 100% o.k.

Now to reply to your last post/questions

Firstly ISTA+ and E-sys are both powerful BMW tools, ISTA is used mainly for service/workshop diagnostics and repairs as well as programming ECU’s , you can VO (Vehicle Order) code with ISTA+ but E-sys allows both VO and FDL (more detailed and flexible) coding and is the main coding tool used for enabling features and adjusting functions.

The important point is VO coding can tell the car that it had a feature like comfort access build as part of it’s factory order (FA) and therefore enable it, but for VO coding to work, ALL parts must be fitted so the car hardware is like it would have been if you had ordered comfort access from the factory. If you have not fitted door handles then I am not sure your car can have been VO coded. If your car has not been VO coded then I do not believe you can get S322 to work but I am not 100% certain, so sorry, you will have to ask the experts. VO coding will code all necessary modules not just the BDC, with comfort access there are a number of modules which will require coding changes and of course you fitted a new module (smart opener control unit) which the other modules have to be told is there.

My thoughts from what you have written are that I am surprised a BMW technician using ISTA+ would not have sorted this but perhaps they did the work they knew and missed something, they certainly should have be able to diagnose why the BDC was not recognising the antenna. Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable on ISTA+ so I do not know if the technician could have coded s322 without all parts being fitted (or perhaps just enable the smart boot/trunk opening to work without enabling full S322), I strongly doubt it but am not certain.

Buying a new BDC would not be cost effective and also pointless, I believe it is a restricted part and has to be VIN coded anyway, the BDC will work using the car FA (factory order configuration), effectively a new BDC would have to be VO coded, so better just VO code your car with existing BDC. IMO, I think for the BDC and other modules to be able activate comfort access, it has to be VO coded and without this they will not even try to communicate with/recognise certain parts like the new antenna, because they do not know they are there or that the function is required.

There are many people who can remotely VO code but I am certain all necessary hardware (including CA door handles) have to be fitted first. E-sys can still be used to help diagnose a problem, if you enter a new element/function like s322 it will check if required hardware, modules and software is there, it will report errors/problems, so can be very useful. I suggest you try and contact the experts and get their opinion, they will definitely be able to tell you who to ask.

My very best wishes, so sorry I cannot help more.

Last edited by MJE60; 01-30-2021 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi, MJE60

Thanks again for your reply, I value your answers very much.

This time I can say that I'm starting to understand how is this going. I'll pass your answer to the technical guy, maybe it will help him to figure out how to do it.

Otherwise, if he will not understood, do you have any suggestion about where and how I can contact an expert like you told? I really don't know where to find one.

Now I'm diverting a little from the thread's subject with a relating question.
What's your opinion about how safe is to have this s322 feature enabled, considering so many articles that's saying that the car is much more easily to be stolen.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Hi, MJE60

Thanks again for your reply, I value your answers very much.

This time I can say that I'm starting to understand how is this going. I'll pass your answer to the technical guy, maybe it will help him to figure out how to do it.

Otherwise, if he will not understood, do you have any suggestion about where and how I can contact an expert like you told? I really don't know where to find one.

Now I'm diverting a little from the thread's subject with a relating question.
What's your opinion about how safe is to have this s322 feature enabled, considering so many articles that's saying that the car is much more easily to be stolen.
I do not think remote access in any less secure, the risk with any keyless entry is that someone can relay the signal. Although keys are supposed to go to sleep after a couple of minutes some people buy a faraday box (secure box against wireless signals) for their keys (available everywhere).
With regards to coding services, you could try going onto the coding forum and explain what you want and asking if anyone provides the service (make clear you will pay).

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/bm...ogramming.175/

Otherwise I can PM you with someone who does provide remote coding services and is recommended by knowledgable forum members.

Last edited by MJE60; 01-30-2021 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 03:13 PM   #9
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, thank you, I've heard about these protection methods. Maybe they are effective.

I'll try to ask about my problem on the forum, it's a good ideea.
I'll post here the result.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #10
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It seems that I didn't found much help on bimmerfest forums.

To conclude, I receive just the following two different answers:
- a new BDC and new keys is needed, ordered with my car's VIN at a bmw car dealer (very expensive)
- a "used bdc (my note: with comfort access) can be installed as long as proper tools are available to adapt it". But the user who sent this obvious reply didn't answered to the invitation for more details.

So... no help there.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 07:54 AM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
It seems that I didn't found much help on bimmerfest forums.

To conclude, I receive just the following two different answers:
- a new BDC and new keys is needed, ordered with my car's VIN at a bmw car dealer (very expensive)
- a "used bdc (my note: with comfort access) can be installed as long as proper tools are available to adapt it". But the user who sent this obvious reply didn't answered to the invitation for more details.

So... no help there.
It may be useful if you download ISTA, it will list parts for each option including S322A comfort access. It will identify if a new/different BDC is actually required of whether your existing BDC just needs coding for comfort access. I can confirm that any different BDC fitted to your car whether new or used would need to be coded to your car VIN. This is a security measure otherwise a car could be stolen and all security by-passed just by re-placing the BDC.

I give you the link to download ISTA which another forum member (wcs2229) has set-up. Once you have ISTA you can search parts by option code and see if parts are different or missing. Remember for an option to work, all option parts have to be fitted in the car and enabled through coding. I do know new keys would be required (because comfort access has different key fobs) , I do not know if different BDC is reqired, I will try and check for you.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=18

Last edited by MJE60; 02-25-2021 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #12
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for your help MJE60.

I'll try to install ISTA, but do I need also a cable to connect to the car in order to let it read information from my car computers?

Or I need ISTA just as an informational database to list the parts for S322A?

I mention I'm not familiar with such software, so I might ask silly things
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #13
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:

I'll try to install ISTA, but do I need also a cable to connect to the car in order to let it read information from my car computers?

You can enter your VIN into ISTA for "basic" info on your car's configuration. You can also buy an E-Sys cable to connect your car to ISTA.

The ISTA application is what BMW service technicians use.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #14
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
You can enter your VIN into ISTA for "basic" info on your car's configuration. You can also buy an E-Sys cable to connect your car to ISTA.

The ISTA application is what BMW service technicians use.
Thanks for clarification.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:47 PM   #15
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here is an interesting thread on coding Comfort Access in an F80:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/n...abled.1398040/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #16
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here is an interesting thread on coding Comfort Access in an F80:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/n...abled.1398040/
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #17
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

You might try contacting Dumitru in the e90post.com forum for assistance:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=285

Maybe you need to code CAS and PGS modules with S322A added into your VO.

It seems he is in Romania also.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #18
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You might try contacting Dumitru in the e90post.com forum for assistance:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=285

Maybe you need to code CAS and PGS modules with S322A added into your VO.

It seems he is in Romania also.
Thanks for the info, wcs2229.
I read the post and I saw it's all about E series, but I'll contact him, maybe he can help me also for my F series car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #19
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

MJE60 had explained in Posts #4 and #6 the need to code S322 in your F48's VO. The F80 and E90 posts also refer to coding S322 in the VO, as this procedure applies across BMW models.

There are other posts on e90post.com about Dumitru coding for users, so he seems to know his stuff. It sounds like this is a job for an expert, not for someone who is faint of heart (like me!).

Last edited by wcs2229; 03-01-2021 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #20
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:

O.k I have asked you a number of questions and given information in posts 4 & 6 of this thread. You have given me your VIN via PM and I have been able to check your car factory build (VO).
So IMO in order to get s322a working in your car you will need to do the following;
1. Complete installation of all parts required for s322a, this includes all new door handles, door wiring, new tailgate closing switch - part 61319275121. Your car is showing it does not have option s316a (automatic boot/trunk closing) and I am assuming that you have already retro- fitted this because you say you bought the trunk smart opening module as well as 3 antennas and wiring. So internal boot/trunk release switch in driver door also needed. New comfort access key fobs also needed.
2. I repeat that in order to use BMW comfort access ALL /100% of parts have to be installed not just boot/trunk smart opening and antenna.
3. When all s322a required parts have been fitted you need to use E-sys to VO code your car with options s322a. This coding will/should activate the BDC communication with the comfort access parts including trunk smart opening module and antennas.
4. I cannot see that you would need a new BDC although the part number you have quoted in first post “6825528” appears incorrect, I believe you meant 61356825520.

In summary, comfort access retrofit requires a lot of parts, you cannot do half or only certain parts of the install because in order for function to work your BDC needs to be coded (it is not plug and play). In order to code BDC all correct parts are needed. As an example the smart opening module will not be able to communicate with BDC unless the BDC is coded. Your BDC will not communicate with antennas unless it is coded to do. Whoever does coding for you (using E-sys) may also need to code (CAFD) the new module to ensure it is running same istep (software version) as the rest of your car.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-06-2021 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 2
wcs2229170.50
mrpingu179.00
      03-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #21
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone for answers, help and guidance regarding this topic, but I think I'll drop this retrofit because it's much more complicated and expensive that I first estimated.
Special thanks to MJE60 for detailed and documented answers. Much appreciated.

If anyone is interested, I'm selling the parts that I bought for this retrofit. I can send a list with partcodes and pictures.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      06-28-2023, 01:45 PM   #22
wcruzeiro
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
StefanJ In the end, Do you were able to apply the Comfort Access (S322A)?
I am in the process of 5DP Retrofit on my 2018 X1.
Then I will think about in S322A.
Thank you,
Appreciate 0