BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Check oil

06-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #1
tigor
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 LCI

Is there no dipstick to check oil in our cars? I had a notification come up today but to measure the level I need to drive the car for 30 mins. No trip is so long these days.

My wife managed to forget to switch the engine off yesterday and left it idling in the driveway for 16 hours. It was very hot when I found it running this morning.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigor View Post
Is there no dipstick to check oil in our cars? I had a notification come up today but to measure the level I need to drive the car for 30 mins. No trip is so long these days.

My wife managed to forget to switch the engine off yesterday and left it idling in the driveway for 16 hours. It was very hot when I found it running this morning.
Correct, as far as I am aware at least, there is no dipstick.
Kind of crazy if you ask me. Surprising because it seemed like with all the new cars dealers loved to use the oil vacuums by routing a hose through the dipstick area. I never liked that method anyway because I figured some oil would always be left at the bottom which can't be good.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
Correct, as far as I am aware at least, there is no dipstick.
Audi and VW are going this way also. Electronic monitoring.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:

Did you revoke her driving privileges?
Appreciate 1
tigor40.50
      06-17-2020, 02:33 AM   #5
tigor
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movnmik View Post
Quote:

Did you revoke her driving privileges?
She was dealing with our 2 year old and 4 month old at the same time. That's a good enough excuse. Though if the car had been snatched I'm not so sure I'd be feeling the same way. Find it crazy the engine was running with headlights on all night and no one so much as knocked on our door to alert us.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:

On the single occasion when my X1 (1.5 Litre Petrol) has needed oil, the warning has flashed up on the instrument panel and it told me how much oil to pour into via the oil filler cap.
I agree that it is not really desirable from an owner perspective and I had to pour in a litre of oil, despite the car being due for a full service within a couple of weeks from that happening.
I had regularly checked the level via the electronic system, but it had always shown the level to be at the full mark, so I wonder if it always leaves any low level warning until it reaches the minimum. Anyone know?
Appreciate 0