BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) How to remove fitting from intake pipe?

05-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
Ion619
Ion L.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i & 2018 X1 & 2016 X1

How to remove fitting from intake pipe?

All,

I'm kinda stuck on how to remove this fitting from the intake pipe? Don't want to snap the fitting or break it. I tried to pull, no luck. Can't twist due to other components connected to the fitting.

Any advice or ideas would be greatful!
Attached Images

05-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #2
Ion619
Ion L.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion619 View Post
All,

I'm kinda stuck on how to remove this fitting from the intake pipe? Don't want to snap the fitting or break it. I tried to pull, no luck. Can't twist due to other components connected to the fitting.

Maybe here is a better defined photo of what i'm trying to ask...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Untitled-1.pdf (480.4 KB, 134 views)
      05-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I can't remember the combo of squeeze and pull.. but I had trouble getting it off my older car. Can I ask if you're trying to get the whole intake off? How the heck can you get to the retaining clip down by the cold side? I'm looking at my car, and had it all apart, but couldn't figure out how the heck to get to the clip. It's at least a foot deep in the engine, so I would have to use a very very long set of pliers or a screwdriver, but risk not being able to get it out or losing it down the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:43 PM   #4
Ion619
Ion L.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I can't remember the combo of squeeze and pull.. but I had trouble getting it off my older car. Can I ask if you're trying to get the whole intake off? How the heck can you get to the retaining clip down by the cold side? I'm looking at my car, and had it all apart, but couldn't figure out how the heck to get to the clip. It's at least a foot deep in the engine, so I would have to use a very very long set of pliers or a screwdriver, but risk not being able to get it out or losing it down the engine bay.
I'm installing the last part of the FTP Boost and Intake Pipe kit. All has been installed but this one. Taking my time on this as I continue to analyze. In order to get to the retaining clip is to disconnect the pipe from the turbo itself. I have look from the wheel well and at different angles to disconnect the piping from the turbo. It is a project to do, but in the end will be satisfying. However, this part of removing these clips is what I need guidance on.

Here are some photos of some of the FTP piping install....
Attached Images

06-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Very cool. I tried to look up the FTP kit, and it seemed that all the piping was from the other side of the turbo to the intercooler, and the intercooler back, not that air intake piping. I looked it up on newtis, but it really just says "disconnect" haha. However.. one thing to help you out on what it says: smaller pipe disconnects from the intake pipe. The larger one on the right you need to disconnect from the cylinder head cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:52 PM   #6
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion619 View Post
All,

I had mine installed. You have to remove the right side cover beside the right wheel to have access to the boost pipe. It's pretty tight in there though, might have to do some cutting on the OEM boost pipe to loosen it.

The new FTP Motorsport charge+boost pipes looks and feel like high quality products. Much much better than the OEM ones, which are made of lots of rubber and plastic and slightly soft metal at the joints. Now the throttle is slightly, but noticeably more responsive thanks to the less restrictive flow design. To my surprise, my fuel economy improved as well! Perhaps I was leaking boost before but I did not find any leak in the OEM pipes. This is a must upgrade to make the car more reliable as all BMW cars are prone to charge pipe leak and blow ups even if you are not boosting the car. FTP Motorsport even added a hole or two on the charge pipe reserved for water meth injection! Would highly recommend this product if you plan on making your car more reliable.

Last edited by lonegun; 06-22-2020 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0