BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Changing Head Unit

05-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
Aer0
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Changing Head Unit

Hey guys,

when changing your Head Unit (be it retrofitting a new one or adding a MMI box like the bimmertech one) it's said to unplug the battery. Looking at different videos on YouTube almost everyone is basically doing the same. But what for? Is this really necessary? What happens if I just don't unplug it beforehand?

I know e. g. replacing the battery requires you to teach the car that there's a new battery. I've also read you can do that yourself with a proper OBC adapter (I for myself got the UniCarScan 2000) and proper software.

So basically, given all those information above: I'd like to retrofit a so called MMI box to my F48 to get Android Auto. But in order to do so, do I have to unplug the battery?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Sphinx144
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

I've replaced the battery of my x1 once. There is no reprogramming needed to be done. Car started right up.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #3
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aer0 View Post
I'd like to retrofit a so called MMI box to my F48 to get Android Auto. But in order to do so, do I have to unplug the battery?
Do you have to disconnect the battery when unplugging and plugging an assortment of cables in the dash? technically No...

SHOULD you disconnect the battery to prevent electrical damage to electronic items that you're working on? Most definitely YES
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx144 View Post
I've replaced the battery of my x1 once. There is no reprogramming needed to be done. Car started right up.
It would appear that simply changing the battery on a like for like basis doesn’t involve reprogramming, but that is certainly not the case if changing to a battery of a different type, or output. Perhaps one of our tech experts could confirm the correct procedure.
Appreciate 0