BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Looking for a new TV

11-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
503Alex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: S30

Looking for a new TV

My dad's looking for advice for the next TV to buy to replace his 7 year old 42" Sony Plasma (paid around 7k for it back then!). What are the best choices for a max size of 46"?

Thanks in advance.
      11-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Definitely check out the new Samsung LED TV's, they have an amazing picture. Price isn't too bad either.

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/index.ph...-in-lcd-s.html
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
SantaPimp27
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow homie

stay away from the LED tv's man. LCD's cant compete with plasma's. The motion blur is so annoying and will be very noticeable if your dad is coming from a plasma.

I would suggest picking up a panasonic plasma. my parents just picked up a 65" v10. you cant beat the picture of the panny plasma.

If you could give some more info i could give you a better idea. some important things would be:

- lighting situation? (Is there a lot of uncontrollable light in the room)
- Budget?
- Will people be watching the tv from an angle?
- How far away is the seating?
      12-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Topless 335i
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: AW E93 335i

This is what we have at home and it's one of the best TVs I've watched.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...PRO-151FD.Kuro
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless 335i View Post
This is what we have at home and it's one of the best TVs I've watched.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...PRO-151FD.Kuro
That is by far the best TV offered currently. Problem is Pioneer is said to be dropping the Kuro line in the very near feature, not sure why though. Next the TV cost close to $5k. Actually come to think I don't even think that TV is being produced anymore, still being sold until stock is gone though. Now if money is no option and you just want the very best TV then sure, go for it.

Personally I would get the Panasonic TC-PV10. I got last years version of this TV the 800U. Love it. Only set me back about $1,800 (total around $2.3K adding in blu-ray, calibration and such). It was worth the savings. I stood in front of mine and the kuro and the picture quality differences was hardly noticable. At least not another 2k noticable.

At least know this. Is your room bright(better suited to LCD/LED) or dark(Plasma/LED)? What do you watch? A lot of sports and movies(Plasma and LED are better again)? Just to catch some movies here and there and local TV (then don't waste more money then you shoud just to have the best and get a decent LCD, Sony is currently offering a free PS3 with certain models.). LED is very recent so how much do you want to trust the tech? Plasmas are proven and have shed all there past downsides(burn in, crappy life, etc.).

CNET provides awesome reviews on HDTV's. Link to help you out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/

Current Sony Free PS3 offer
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...7&N=4294965501

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
My 6 year old 43" DLP Samsung still works pretty well, but i im starting to consider replacing it with a 50" LCD (maaaaaybe LED, when they come down in price)

And i just got a 40" LCD Samsung for the bedroom. Love it!
      12-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I agree with solefald. I was looking at LED TVs and they are just a little overpriced (although the contrast ratios are amazing).

I picked up a Samsung 46" LCD / 120Hz TV a week or so ago and I have been nothing but blown away by the picture and everything.

I did not get a Plasma because the room I have the TV in has a lot of sunlight and Plasmas are HORRIBLE for glare. I have zero glare on my LCD and am completely happy with it!

I also got the 4600 Samsung Bluray player and it surpasses all my exectations. I got netflix and it seems to be the perfect combination.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
503Alex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of the advice!
      12-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
503Alex
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaPimp27 View Post
stay away from the LED tv's man. LCD's cant compete with plasma's. The motion blur is so annoying and will be very noticeable if your dad is coming from a plasma.

I would suggest picking up a panasonic plasma. my parents just picked up a 65" v10. you cant beat the picture of the panny plasma.

If you could give some more info i could give you a better idea. some important things would be:

- lighting situation? (Is there a lot of uncontrollable light in the room)
- Budget?
- Will people be watching the tv from an angle?
- How far away is the seating?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
That is by far the best TV offered currently. Problem is Pioneer is said to be dropping the Kuro line in the very near feature, not sure why though. Next the TV cost close to $5k. Actually come to think I don't even think that TV is being produced anymore, still being sold until stock is gone though. Now if money is no option and you just want the very best TV then sure, go for it.

Personally I would get the Panasonic TC-PV10. I got last years version of this TV the 800U. Love it. Only set me back about $1,800 (total around $2.3K adding in blu-ray, calibration and such). It was worth the savings. I stood in front of mine and the kuro and the picture quality differences was hardly noticable. At least not another 2k noticable.

At least know this. Is your room bright(better suited to LCD/LED) or dark(Plasma/LED)? What do you watch? A lot of sports and movies(Plasma and LED are better again)? Just to catch some movies here and there and local TV (then don't waste more money then you shoud just to have the best and get a decent LCD, Sony is currently offering a free PS3 with certain models.). LED is very recent so how much do you want to trust the tech? Plasmas are proven and have shed all there past downsides(burn in, crappy life, etc.).

CNET provides awesome reviews on HDTV's. Link to help you out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/

Current Sony Free PS3 offer
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...7&N=4294965501
Thanks for the info, and suggestions. As far as the questions, the TV will be on a swivel mount next to two large windows (it's in a smallish loft), budget, he's looking to spend around $1200 (should've mentioned this, but I didn't know the budget at the time), it will be watched from an angle occasionally, and it's usually watched from around 10-15 ft away. So far he's been looking into the Samsung 46" that Hawkeye mentioned.
      12-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 503Alex View Post
Thanks for the info, and suggestions. As far as the questions, the TV will be on a swivel mount next to two large windows (it's in a smallish loft), budget, he's looking to spend around $1200 (should've mentioned this, but I didn't know the budget at the time), it will be watched from an angle occasionally, and it's usually watched from around 10-15 ft away. So far he's been looking into the Samsung 46" that Hawkeye mentioned.
Then I'd look into the Sony 46'' V or W just to get the free PS3 or Blu-ray. Best Buy is also running a similar deal to match sony. I kinda wanted to 46'' V over the 40'' W I got just cuz of size but the picture really is noticeably better on the W.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #11
floot_roops
181st Imperial Pilot
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335xi

I don't think you can go wrong with Samsung LCD. They make phenomenal tv's, and I believe you could argue that in comparison, the Sonys are a little overpriced. You may get slightly better picture quality (on some models), but there is a price premium.

I recently went through the tv buying process (I ultimately chose a panasonic 54 in plasma).

Plasma vs LCD - very few companies are still making plasmas. Panasonic had been the best for years (and arguably still is), but Samsung's 2009 lineup for plasmas was quite comparable. For LCD's, I think Samsung tends to give the best quality picture.

I also tend to trust the cnet reviews: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-lcd-tvs...ent;contentNav (be sure to check the sidebar and look at plasmas or combined)

Given that it's swivel mounted with windows near it, you may not want a plasma because, as stated, they tend to have issues with glare. Though new models try to utilize an anti-glare coating, overall, they still tend to have a shiny glass front.

In terms of picture quality between the two, they're honestly pretty comparable now. Plasma's still give deeper blacks, though.

In terms of motion blur, if you're going LCD, you definitely want at least a 120Hz refresh rate. 240Hz is better, but more expensive. I would not bother with a 60Hz. This becomes particularly important with high-speed action, like sports (and video games, which is why I went with plasma, as that is my primary use).

Finally, when it comes to price, definitely shop around. I got my 54 in plasma for 1275 (inc shipping) by watching a few days and nabbing it on Amazon when I could (prices were fluctuating on a daily basis for a while). Also, consider Costco, even if it's a little more than some of the random electronics stores online -- you can't really beat their warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

I would go with the samsung LN46B650T LCD TV. It is usually priced from 1199-1309 at best buy and I guarantee you won't find any other LCD TV at that price range(new) that can even compare.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by floot_roops View Post
Also, consider Costco, even if it's a little more than some of the random electronics stores online -- you can't really beat their warranty.
i don't think they do that warranty anymore, at least not on electronics. People like me were returning the same item mutliple time for years on end
      12-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

samsungs are great. i like my sony bravia xbr40.

and LCDs have made major improvements with motion blur. i never notice it on mine.
      12-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
I would go with the samsung LN46B650T LCD TV. It is usually priced from 1199-1309 at best buy and I guarantee you won't find any other LCD TV at that price range(new) that can even compare.
+1

Samsung LN46B750
      12-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Also, shop around on ebay - there are some ridiculous deals to be had.
Best Buy and all those types of stores will RAPE you in price compared to the prices you can find online.

I recommend;

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/i.h...V&_osacat=3320
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FWIW best buy had the samsung 650 on sale 2 weeks ago for 999, then it went up to 1199 and 1309. Those are great deals and convenient plus shipping is only 99 cents!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #18
yppah
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda

Samsung LN46A630 46" LCD TV 120Hz (Refurbished) - $929.95

Vizio SV470XVT 47" LCD TV 120Hz (Brand New) - $1099.98

These are the two best LCD TV you can buy for your budget in my opinion. The Samsung brand has an expert rating of 85 while the Vizio has a rating of 73. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yppah View Post
Samsung LN46A630 46" LCD TV 120Hz (Refurbished) - $929.95

Vizio SV470XVT 47" LCD TV 120Hz (Brand New) - $1099.98

These are the two best LCD TV you can buy for your budget in my opinion. The Samsung brand has an expert rating of 85 while the Vizio has a rating of 73. Good luck.
You're right, the only difference between the 630 and the 650 are the subtle extra features that the 650 has, such as wifi capability and USB inputs.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #20
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Check out Sears.com because they have the black friday prices every saturday sale thing going on. Don't forget the Bing cash back either.

As for plasma vs lcd, led, it's all preferences. The main concern people have about LCD is the refresh rate. Many people have said that 120hz looks too fake sometimes. It's like it's too clear thus making the pictures look unreal.

As for LED, it's still expensive right now so it's out of your budget. I've read some reviews and there was one guy who mentioned that the refresh rate caused his stomach to get sick. I'm not sure if that's anything major but I figured I should mention it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #21
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Check out Sears.com because they have the black friday prices every saturday sale thing going on. Don't forget the Bing cash back either.

As for plasma vs lcd, led, it's all preferences. The main concern people have about LCD is the refresh rate. Many people have said that 120hz looks too fake sometimes. It's like it's too clear thus making the pictures look unreal.

As for LED, it's still expensive right now so it's out of your budget. I've read some reviews and there was one guy who mentioned that the refresh rate caused his stomach to get sick. I'm not sure if that's anything major but I figured I should mention it.

Plasma vs. LCD these days is only a matter of where you will be viewing the TV. If the TV is going in a room that is well lit steer clear of a plasma, you'll be highly disappointed. Plasmas should be reserved for low light/dark rooms; they look like crap once any ambient light hits the screen.
Appreciate 0