BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla - no thanks!

01-28-2023, 04:42 AM   #573
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Tesla Q4 earnings were better than expected by a few pennies hence the surge.
Here's another 'legacy' automakers share price graph over the 1 year period.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 11:34 PM   #574
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Guy they can prop up anything to look like it's of value for a time period

Ppl bought NFTs like they were picassos, it was just a money laundering gimmick
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 07:20 AM   #575
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Guy they can prop up anything to look like it's of value for a time period

Ppl bought NFTs like they were picassos, it was just a money laundering gimmick
Like real estate?

Too big to fail comes to mind…
Appreciate 1
ASAP10048.00
      01-29-2023, 07:44 AM   #576
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

I live in central Florida and I’ve never seen more Teslas on the road than I do now. They’re freaking everywhere. I like Elon musk. However, if I could sit down and have coffee with him, I would ask him if he could please just make one good looking car. Just one. I do not know why they refused to do it.
Appreciate 4
________4157.00
GrussGott18113.00
Cos270608.50
      01-29-2023, 07:47 AM   #577
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I live in central Florida and I’ve never seen more Teslas on the road than I do now. They’re freaking everywhere. I like Elon musk. However, if I could sit down and have coffee with him, I would ask him if he could please just make one good looking car. Just one. I do not know why they refused to do it.
Well the cyber truck should come soon so… lol
Appreciate 4
Patton2502936.50
chad86tsi1596.00
lakefront560.50
      01-29-2023, 10:23 AM   #578
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Looks and deteriorating batteries/ range
2 biggest issues for me
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      01-29-2023, 01:27 PM   #579
DCDEFAN
2022 BMW X5 45e
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5-45e M Sport

Garage List
This may be useless information especially for those who already know this, but to answer your question regarding design and why Tesla has decided to keep things more minimal with little change is because Elon said years ago, he wants to design vehicles where they're not thrown away 3yrs later because a new option is added or slight change in headlights, e.g.,BMW, Audi, Mercedes...etc.. He wants people to keep their vehicles for longer durations to have less environmental clutter, longterm. He feels if you add the right amount of hardware and make switches/buttons universal it'll stay simple and people will get used to it overtime, but just update software to keep up with technology times.
I personally believe this is a great motto. However, if other manufacturers don't follow suit, then Tesla will be left behind along with their value (longterm) when people quit buying them because Tesla can't keep up with comfort features, e.g., buttons for backseat passengers to turn their own seats off and on. Which leads me to another example, incorporating the rear heat seat buttons on the screen oppose to physical buttons. By eliminating the wiring, plastic molds, little lights to light them up at night, making additional cutouts to panels, etc. That may have only saved $20.00 per Model 3 or Y car, but you sell 1.3 million vehicles, that's a whole lot of savings that goes directly back into the company and investors pockets.

If you look at their design, it's done very well which is why Tesla has been so valuable. It costs a lot less to make their Y and 3 models (their most profitable models to date) than it does Chevy Cavalier (maybe a poor example), because nothing really changes but the steering wheel (and column) and floor pedals. So when they manufacture vehicles for right-handed countries, there's less changes to the design or manufacturing parts, hence the big screen in the middle and making the buttons only on the steering wheel and universal/adaptable to what the owner wants. Less buttons less cost for manufacturing and design, more money into profits. Tesla is essentially doing what Toyota has been doing with their Priuses for years. They're just more limited than a Prius' interior.

I need to make a comment in response to people talking about Tesla's batteries and their stock. People can complain about their batteries but it really falls onto the driver for (for the most part, yes there were manufacturing issues at first) negligence and or abuse. Most people who buy Tesla's almost always run their batteries hard the first few months because of the pure adrenaline rush and showing off to their friends, family and the person next to them in a Porsche 911 at a red light. You constantly run a battery hard there's room for damaging it from overheating, just as if you run an ICE hard all the time. Considering their battery technology is extremely old tech and how fast they are able to get their motors to run and length of time is pretty remarkable engineering with hard and software. That's what makes them stand out. The gap is closing in on them quite quickly, but they have more charging stations worldwide and are currently opening up their chargers to other manufacturers (not in the US) ...for a fee. That fee goes back into profits. That's what is keeping their stock up in comparison to other manufacturers. It's more about what else Tesla has to offer to make more profits compared to their competitors so it's no longer just a car manufacturer.

I think it's safe to say, Elon has upset many people over the years (regardless of political views) and also industries, and some may even want to see him fail. But I believe respect and compliments should be given when earned and deserved, no matter the case. He helped finance a company and quickly bought it when he saw an opportunity to make billions. He has changed the whole car industry in record time. Many manufacturers have tried and successfully failed. He (his money and OCD) made it happen. Think about all the current jobs at Tesla that didn't exist beforehand. If he fails, those jobs are gone. His views do make sense longterm. It's just difficult for humans to adjust, especially as we get older,(especially myself). I think he's more or less relying on the younger generation (longterm) to meet his goals with the company and his overall views. If you review all companies he owns it's one big eco system, all the way to the satellites way above us.

The more important question for the whole car industry is, when all manufacturers build the same technological electric vehicle, why would someone buy a Porsche if a Kia has the same capabilities and options? Currently, people buy Porsche's because of the engineering behind the engines, and suspension for speed and handling purposes, the sound from the exhaust (obviously a few more reasons), but if all cars are going to end up with the same battery technology and abilities, and they will be forced to use very similar if not same suspension (weight distribution), why would someone buy a Porsche over a Kia with exception of status purposes? Porsche (and other manufacturer's) are going to sell less product overtime to their much lesser competitors, how are they going to keep their clientele?

I bought a 45e because of work. There are times where I need to visit multiple sites/clients and I don't have time to sit in a lot because I'm driving over 400mi in a single day. That doesn't happen often but when it does, I want to make sure I can fill up and leave within 4min. it takes to put fuel in the car.

I realize this is a long message and most of you know one another from years of chatting. I hope this message was insightful to at least one person...LOL.

I haven't owned a Tesla for two reasons, battery technology is old (new battery hasn't been released yet) and a driver should always have information in front of them. If you don't want to add a speedometer or other gauges because of overall net costs then at least project some data on a windshield. It's not that expensive and can still be done where it doesn't affect overall costs to the build between both left and right-hand driving countries. Or at least offer a really good reliable aftermarket HUD. The company can make additional profits because I'm sure people would purchase them if it has the Tesla name on it. Those are my thoughts, Tesla. Get to work!....LOL. ��
Appreciate 3
________4157.00
Cos270608.50
      01-29-2023, 02:49 PM   #580
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep

I still have 23 and 21 year old BMWs. They still look good/cool.
Y and 3 never did.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #581
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80indy View Post
I still have 23 and 21 year old BMWs. They still look good/cool.
Y and 3 never did.
You also have a G80, so… maybe the Tesla isn’t so bad lol
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 03:19 PM   #582
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
You also have a G80, so… maybe the Tesla isn’t so bad lol
Funny 😄
But that G80 looks badass in the flesh…

And I’ve a good track record on design as it were
😉
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
KRS_SN13100.00
      01-29-2023, 03:39 PM   #583
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDEFAN View Post
This may be useless information especially for those who already know this, but to answer your question regarding design and why Tesla has decided to keep things more minimal with little change is because Elon said years ago, he wants to design vehicles where they're not thrown away 3yrs later because a new option is added or slight change in headlights, e.g.,BMW, Audi, Mercedes...etc.. He wants people to keep their vehicles for longer durations to have less environmental clutter, longterm. He feels if you add the right amount of hardware and make switches/buttons universal it'll stay simple and people will get used to it overtime, but just update software to keep up with technology times.
Marketing bs I'm afraid... spoken in a world with no real ev competitors but the landscape is changing. These teslas are are built with cost savings in mind and to maximise profits.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      01-29-2023, 03:54 PM   #584
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I don't find anything wrong with their design. Are they super sexy, no, but IMO they certainly don't look bad like Bangle BMWs. I think it's a very simple and clean design that will appeal to a lot of people. IMO the 3/4 angle looks pretty good on most of them. The rears are meh, but still not what I would consider ugly. Except for the X... something about the shape of that one doesn't sit right with me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 03:56 PM   #585
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDEFAN View Post
because Elon said ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Marketing bs I'm afraid...
This.

And we know this is true because the minute the stock drops to new lows and institutionals start talking about "stale products" $TSLA immediately responds we "we have new models coming you guys!"

There's a great biz book from the 00s called That Which Got You Here Won't Get You There. Basically it says that most successful people have careers where they leverage one skill to get quickly promoed - they're, say, great project managers - but they hit a wall because those skills are only so valuable and not at higher levels in the org and/or at higher scales.

Elon is at this point:
Great job getting $TSLA to where it is, but he's not the right guy to take $TSLA farther.

Unfortunately for Tesla investors, they still need a calamity or two before they'll be convinced.
Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1596.00
KRS_SN13100.00
Cos270608.50
      01-29-2023, 04:20 PM   #586
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
That's such a sad whine by all the Muskateers:
Ha, funny to be called a muskateer. Never owned a single share of Tesla stock, nor do I think they even build the best EVs. I do own a 3, but for more ulterior motives than anything.
Quote:
I'll point you to the graph and ask you to note the volatility (& trend) in less than 1 year.
Yes the auto sector got wrecked last year. You can plot similar lines on GM's or Ford's 1Y charts.

Tesla 1Y chart is now inline with legacy automakers like Ford.

Tesla (-36% y/y)
Ford (-32% y/y)

This move was predicted a week ago.

Last edited by M3WC; 01-29-2023 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 04:26 PM   #587
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I don't find anything wrong with their design. Are they super sexy, no, but IMO they certainly don't look bad like Bangle BMWs. I think it's a very simple and clean design that will appeal to a lot of people. IMO the 3/4 angle looks pretty good on most of them. The rears are meh, but still not what I would consider ugly. Except for the X... something about the shape of that one doesn't sit right with me.
Model S is attractive. 3 and Y overall are just meh, not ugly. G8x are ugly.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      01-29-2023, 05:02 PM   #588
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Model S is attractive. 3 and Y overall are just meh, not ugly. G8x are ugly.
There's dumpy-common ugly and flashy-blingy ugly and thought bmw and tesla designs are falling into ugly categories there's a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #589
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There's dumpy-common ugly and flashy-blingy ugly and thought bmw and tesla designs are falling into ugly categories there's a difference.
One produces throw-up in your mouth response.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 05:17 PM   #590
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
One produces throw-up in your mouth response.
I've seen them both in the flesh next to each other. Tbh the m3 looked the $$$ next to the m3p costing $$$
Appreciate 2
chris7197271.50
heavyD^23684.00
      01-29-2023, 05:19 PM   #591
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've seen them both in the flesh next to each other. Tbh the m3 looked the $$$ next to the m3p costing $$$
Well the G8x is $20k+ more, I would hope it looked more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 05:21 PM   #592
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Well the G8x is $20k+ more, I would hope it looked more expensive.
You're right. It's a rarity. I think I was just happy to see it. Anyways looks are subjective let's move on.
Appreciate 2
chris7197271.50
________4157.00
      01-29-2023, 10:54 PM   #593
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
funny to be called a muskateer
This move was predicted a week ago.
But WAIT! Was that prediction just media FUD?!?? Who's to say what's what? with all this FUD it's so hard to say right??

My point is, why are you surprised being called a Muskateer?

When you're repeating all their self-evidently silly propaganda lines, which is what they all do, of course you're a Muskateer! even if temporarily so, assuming that's possible ...

Do you not want to be a Muskateer? Cause then you're gonna have to start thinking for yourself and focus on, you know, facts & stuff.

Last edited by GrussGott; 01-30-2023 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 01:08 AM   #594
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
But WAIT! Was that prediction just media FUD?!?? Who's to say what's what? with all this FUD it's so hard to say right??
I agree with the video, it was oversold. Yes I believe all the Twitter/Tesla FUD in Q4 was feeding the downswing(creating an oversold buying opportunity, now it is up 65% in 1 month). I guess if that viewpoint constitutes me being a muskateer...do I at least get a Tesla or SpaceX tshirt in the mail?

Last edited by M3WC; 01-30-2023 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0