BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Here's my Platinum Silver

10-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Here's my Platinum Silver

Picked it up today. Haven't really had time to do a proper test drive yet. But first impression is very positive.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

It's a 20i xDrive xLine in Platinum Silver (C08) with Oyster seats (automatically adds anthracite roof-lining). It's a fantastic colour combo.

Options worth mentioning are:

223 Dynamic Damper Control (EDC)
258 Runflat Tyres
3AG Backup Camera
313 Exterior Mirror Package
4F7 Fine-wood Trim Oak Grain W.h.t.f.p.
402 Panorama Glass Roof
420 Sun Protection Glazing
428 Warning Triangle
431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d
5AS Driving Assistant
502 Headlight Washer System
Driver comfort package
Navigation Plus package

Big options that I didn't get:

Paddleshifters
Electric seats
Sport seats
Exterior dimming wingmirrors
Fancy speakers
Fancy radar cruise control

The one and only thing that I actually regret not ordering it is keyless entry. I am so incredibly used to just leave the fob in my pocket and never think about it! It's going to take some time before I learn how to use the fob again (it's been a while)!

Any specific question, shoot. I'm guessing a lot of you want to know about the standard seats. Don't worry, they're fine!
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
sealight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Great color! The bmw online configurator doesn't make it justice.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Looks awesome. Congrats.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealight View Post
Great color! The bmw online configurator doesn't make it justice.
Absolutely right. Configurator doesn't do it any justice at all. Id only seen it on 2 Series Active Tourer and 2015 facelift 3 Series before. It varies in different lighting conditions. More bronze-brown-ish when it's dark. Grey-silver-ish when it's bright. Love it with Oyster seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Congratulations on your new X1! Great color choices.

Platinum Silver is my favorite color on the X1 and Oyster is my favorite leather in a BMW. Guess which exterior paint and interior color BMW USA does not offer for the X1?
      10-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
Congratulations on your new X1! Great color choices.

Platinum Silver is my favorite color on the X1 and Oyster is my favorite leather in a BMW. Guess which exterior paint and interior color BMW USA does not offer for the X1?
Cheers. It's the only colour that's not available in the US. No idea why. They also market Sparkling Storm (C07) as Dark Olive for some bizarre reason. All other colours have the same name worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Looks great. Please share some updates as you get some miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
awesome! congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #9
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
Cheers. It's the only colour that's not available in the US. No idea why. They also market Sparkling Storm (C07) as Dark Olive for some bizarre reason. All other colours have the same name worldwide.
Whups, my mistake, they do offer Oyster interior here. Huzzah! But still no Platinum Silver.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #10
mgerousis
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Quote:
Picked it up today. Haven't really had time to do a proper test drive yet. But first impression is very positive.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

It's a 20i xDrive xLine in Platinum Silver (C08) with Oyster seats (automatically adds anthracite roof-lining). It's a fantastic colour combo.

Options worth mentioning are:

223 Dynamic Damper Control (EDC)
258 Runflat Tyres
3AG Backup Camera
313 Exterior Mirror Package
4F7 Fine-wood Trim Oak Grain W.h.t.f.p.
402 Panorama Glass Roof
420 Sun Protection Glazing
428 Warning Triangle
431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d
5AS Driving Assistant
502 Headlight Washer System
Driver comfort package
Navigation Plus package

Big options that I didn't get:

Paddleshifters
Electric seats
Sport seats
Exterior dimming wingmirrors
Fancy speakers
Fancy radar cruise control

The one and only thing that I actually regret not ordering it is keyless entry. I am so incredibly used to just leave the fob in my pocket and never think about it! It's going to take some time before I learn how to use the fob again (it's been a while)!

Any specific question, shoot. I'm guessing a lot of you want to know about the standard seats. Don't worry, they're fine!
Congrats! Finally you have received yours!!! Enjoy!!! Awesome color!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 04:28 AM   #11
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, guys. I went out for a quick A-road/B-road test drive last night. Here are few updates:

-- Driving modes + EDC: The difference between Eco-Pro/Comfort modes and Sport is significant. Everyhting gets super sharp. Suspension is noticeably more rigid. Transmission shifts late and the acceleration is way sharper. But to be honest, I don't think I'll be using Sport mode a lot. If you have EDC, you can edit Sport mode to sharpen your drivetrain and chassis independently. Default mode when you start the car is Comfort and as many of you know, it's not possible to change that. EDC is definitely worth the extra.

-- Transmission: very smooth, no matter how aggressive or relaxed you drive. It's changes gears smoothly even in Sport mode where it allows you to rev up more than usual.

-- Petrol torque: more than enough for daily drives and overtaking. It's available very early on and allows you to take off with confidence.

-- Matt oak trim: If you're buying xLine and can spend a tiny bit extra on eye candy, go for it. It was unanimously the first comment I got when family/friends/neighbours saw the interior.

-- Auto Start/Stop: Very smooth and barely noticeable.

-- Auto highbeam: it's super responsive with no more than a 1~2 seconds delay.

-- Standard seats: I read a lot of comments about people panicking that they're from the Mini, not supportive enough, etc. But really, they're fine. Obviously Sport ones look and feel better. But for standard seats, they are great. I'm 1.71, average build, and they feel secure and comfortable. They're a little narrow, but nothing to worry about unless you're... ehhem... big boned! Note that manually adjustable standard seats do not have "tilt" adjustment (unlike manual sport). They only go backward/forward/up/down + backrest tilt. This is probably the most intimate option you will have to decide on and is very subjective. Try both and don't just go by the reviews.

-- Armrest vs driver's side seat belt latch: It's tricky to get to the latch, thanks to the stupid armrest. I'm also not a big fan of the open compartment under the armrest. Wish it acted as a door and closed it properly, hiding my stash of chewing gums.

-- UK versions don't get a luggage net: It's £49 extra. Even if you have extended storage (standard in Sport and xLine), you're still going to have to order it separately.

-- Auto parking assist: smooth and accurate. Driver is in charge of acceleration and braking, which is how it should be IMO.

It's too early to comment on efficiency yet. I also can't yet comment on cabin noise. Will be driving on the M-25's old tarmac towards Heathrow is a few days. That should be a good noise test.

Any specific questions or requests, let me know.

Last edited by KPD; 10-25-2015 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
mgerousis
Private
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I went out for a quick A-road/B-road test drive last night. Here are few updates:

-- Driving modes + EDC: The difference between Eco-Pro/Comfort modes and Sport is significant. Everyhting gets super sharp. Suspension is noticeably more rigid. Transmission shifts late and the acceleration is way sharper. But to be honest, I don't think I'll be using Sport mode a lot. If you have EDC, you can edit Sport mode to sharpen your drivetrain and chassis independently. Default mode when you start the car is Comfort and as many of you know, it's not possible to change that. EDC is definitely worth the extra.

-- Transmission: very smooth, no matter how aggressive or relaxed you drive. It's changes gears smoothly even in Sport mode where it allows you to rev up more than usual.

-- Petrol torque: more than enough for daily drives and overtaking. It's available very early on and allows you to take off with confidence.

-- Matt oak trim: If you're buying xLine and can spend a tiny bit extra on eye candy, go for it. It was unanimously the first comment I got when family/friends/neighbours saw the interior.

-- Auto Start/Stop: Very smooth and barely noticeable.

-- Auto highbeam: it's super responsive with no more than a 1~2 seconds delay.

-- Standard seats: I read a lot of comments about people panicking that they're from the Mini, not supportive enough, etc. But really, they're fine. Obviously Sport ones look and feel better. But for standard seats, they are great. I'm 1.71, average build, and they feel secure and comfortable. They're a little narrow, but nothing to worry about unless you're... ehhem... big boned! Note that manually adjustable standard seats do not have "tilt" adjustment (unlike manual sport). They only go backward/forward/up/down + backrest tilt. This is probably the most intimate option you will have to decide on and is very subjective. Try both and don't just go by the reviews.

-- Armrest vs driver's side seat belt latch: It's tricky to get to the latch, thanks to the stupid armrest. I'm also not a big fan of the open compartment under the armrest. Wish it acted as a door and closed it properly, hiding my stash of chewing gums.

-- UK versions don't get a luggage net: It's £49 extra. Even if you have extended storage (standard in Sport and xLine), you're still going to have to order it separately.

-- Auto parking assist: smooth and accurate. Driver is in charge of acceleration and braking, which is how it should be IMO.

It's too early to comment on efficiency yet. I also can't yet comment on cabin noise. Will be driving on the M-25's old tarmac towards Heathrow is a few days. That should be a good noise test.

Any specific questions or requests, let me know.
Thanks for the super informative review. One question please: Is Servotronic standard on your car? Same for auto lights/rain sensor?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Servotronic is standard across the range, even with the base SE version (code 216). Feels soft and comfortable at lower speeds. Stiffens up at higher speeds. Turning circle is just enough for mini roundabouts. But if you want the Sport variable steering, it's an extra (code 2VL; £220). Headlight/rain sensor is also standard (code 521). But auto high beam is only available with LED headlights (standard with xLine here in the UK, £745 option for Sport and SE).

Last edited by KPD; 10-25-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
DaisyLover
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Congrats KPD from the UK! Lovely X1. I have had mine since Friday and have put 100 miles on it. I am shocked at the ride. For me, it is so much smoother than the X3! It reminds me of my husbands AUDI A6, which IMO has a cloud like ride. I am thrilled my husband loves the X1 because I never thought he would enjoy driving a 4 cylinder….but he LOVES it. THe X1 drives smoothly, very little cabin noise, even if I tilt the moonroof. I do agree the seats are a bit narrow but I must emphasis a bit and hardly noticeable. They are comfortable and my husband says he feels fine in them and he is 6'2", 230 lbs. He doesn't look cramped either which I love. The headroom is amazing! I am even more impressed than I was when I did the test drive. I love the ambient lighting . You can switch between classic (orange) and modern (white). I love the orange glow at night along the doors etc. I know there are complaints about the shift knob but we actually like that it sits up a bit high. Seems like it would be odd if it were lower. I agree with another post stating that when you lift the middle console to have a higher arm rest the bottom area is open. They should have made that a full compartment. I love the two small compartments under the seat, which I just found today. So far it has exceeded my expectations. If I had to think of one complaint I would say I wish it were 1 inch higher….but as my husband said, "just raise the seat and there ya go." Question: What is the base model audio system used in BMW? I did not upgrade the stereo and I am curious if it is BOSE. Speakers are not labeled and I can't find any information when I google it. Thanks! Black/Black Dakota leather/Prem Package/Cold Weather Package/Drivers Asst/Bus Nav/
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #15
mgerousis
Private
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Servotronic is standard across the range, even with the base SE version (code 216). Feels soft and comfortable at lower speeds. Stiffens up at higher speeds. Turning circle is just enough for mini roundabouts. But if you want the Sport variable steering, it's an extra (code 2VL; £220). Headlight/rain sensor is also standard (code 521). But auto high beam is only available with LED headlights (standard with xLine here in the UK, £745 option for Sport and SE).
Great!! Thanks for the information! Yes, I have ordered LED Lights as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:30 AM   #16
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey, DaisyLover. Agree with you on all those. The new X1 is in a whole different class compared to the outgoing E84 with it's hard plastic and flimsy cabin. I also have the standard speakers (without tweeters and amp). But I've got no idea what brand they are. I know some BMWs have Philips speakers. But not sure if that's the case with F1.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #17
DaisyLover
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Quote:
Hey, DaisyLover. Agree with you on all those. The new X1 is in a whole different class compared to the outgoing E84 with it's hard plastic and flimsy cabin. I also have the standard speakers (without tweeters and amp). But I've got no idea what brand they are. I know some BMWs have Philips speakers. But not sure if that's the case with F1.
Thanks KDP. It's odd that they don't list the brand of standard audio system anywhere on the site or when you build. For some reason I always thought BMW used BOSE as the base. In any case I am thrilled with my new X1. I woke up this morning and found it GONE. Hubby decided to take it to work! lol
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #18
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 2.0i

Beautiful looking car. Almost regret ordering the Mineral White having seen your pictures.

Very relieved to see someone else who went for petrol over diesel. I was worried I'd be the only one in the UK! Very received also to read that the engine is a good fit for the car as the default seems to be to go for the 2.0d.

Rather jealous that you have yours already. I ordered mine in July but the last update is that it should be here in the second week of November.

Thank you for your post. It's a very reassuring read.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #19
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey, tobycoombes. I test drove the 25d in Germany. Torque is massive. But I was never going to buy a diesel anyway. I only do short trips and my total annual mileage is no more than 4K. So diesel isn't really the right choice. Plus, I just don't like the way they sound and feel.

It's a shame 25i is not available over here. This ridiculous obsession with diesels in the UK is really annoying. Not sure if your test drive car was a petrol or not. But 20i has more than enough torque.

I paced my order in early August. I must've gotten lucky with my dealer. They already 4~5 in stock when I went to pick up my car. One was in Mineral White. Looks great with xLine's silver exterior trims.

On a side note, M Sport configurator is now live on BMW.co.uk. Same price as xLine, but without leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 2.0i

Thank you KPD. I actually ordered prior to test driving. My local dealer (Sytner Chigwell) have their own X1's, they just don't have mine, or much idea when it may come through. Hopefully only a few more weeks now.

I went to the what car static preview earlier in the summer so have seen the car in person but dare not test drive a diesel in case I prefer it. Like you I do only s few thousand miles a year and think the Uk is overly obsessed with diesels.

Thank you again for your feedback on the petro. It has made me much more relaxed about going against the grain.

Have added a few options similar to yours, Pro Sat Nav, adaptive suspension, and panoramic roof and the Matt oak interior, but I went for the 19's, uprated stereo and the electric sports seat.

Still really impressed with your colour combination. It looks amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:30 AM   #21
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool. So it's pretty much fully loaded then. Matt oak trim is gorgeous. Did you get any of the two driving assist packages? I only added the base one (city braking, pedestrian detection and lane departure, no radar cruise control).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #22
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update re efficiency and noise.

Guildford to Hampstead Heat and back, 65% motorway, 35% A-road or 40 to 50 mph speed limit, I achieved 37 mpg average. OK traffic, relaxed drive. That's not that bad and is only about 20% off the official figures. This is just one drive though, and with a brand new engine. These numbers will definitely change. I don't think I can realistically come up with an average efficiency this early on.

Noise... I'll divide this into three categories:

-- Engine noise: No issues what so ever. It's quiet when it needs to be (cruising on the motorway, slow speed, etc.) and grumbles like a feisty little monster when you push it hard. Very pleasant.

-- Tyre noise: I have the standard 18" wheels with run flats (50 sidewall). They're quiet on the A3's brand new asphalt. Ridiculously loud on M25's old concrete surface (J10 to J11). But even a Rolls Royce will sound like a god damn tank on that surface. Average on the M40's old asphalt. Nothing out of ordinary for run flat tyres. 17" (55 sidewall) are definitely going to be the quietest. Good luck if you have 19" wheels!!

-- Wind noise: A bit more than I expected. Wing mirrors aren't that big. So I'm guessing it's because I have a panoramic roof. Nothing distracting or annoying though. I'm sure it'll be quieter without the pano roof.

Overall, it's a quiet car when you need it to be. It's loud, mean and angry when you want it to be.

Diesel is obviously going to be a completely different experience.
Appreciate 1