BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tail Light Codes

06-21-2022, 02:39 AM   #1
JBelbute
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Post Tail Light Codes

I have a US Spec 2020 X1 with LED Headlights. The tail lights are also LED. I want to get the amber turn signals working and I noticed that in Europe the turn signals are amber even though the lenses are red. I a tech guy so I investigated what RGB values I could mix with red to get amber and it is green. So my question is does anyone know what the Bimmercode parameter is that will allow me to change the rear turn signals to green.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 05:15 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

I assume your question relates to tail lights (rear) only. My understanding is that for legal reasons the actual whole tail light (rear indicator/signal) assemblies are different. They certainly have different part numbers. In the EU, rear lights must be red except for indicator/signal lights which MUST be amber in colour. In the USA, rear signal/indicator lights are USUALLY red but can be amber. I therefore do not believe this is a coding issue but the actual physical properties of the clusters. In any event, I doubt a green led through a red lens would give you amber, more likely imo it would give a brown or dirty grey colour. I assume you are aware that US spec red signal/indicator lights are illegal in the EU. I attach pictures of difference between parts, top is EU spec and bottom is US spec part. Imho, you will have to buy whole replacement rear light clusters/assemblies, luckily there are many used ones for sale on online market places. Good luck getting sorted.
Attached Images

Last edited by MJE60; 06-21-2022 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 05:59 AM   #3
JBelbute
Portugal
Rep

Thanks - I may buy the EU assemblies. The lights on my vehicles are different than the ones in your photos though because I have LEDs all around. Interestingly though when I look at the tail lights here in Europe the lenses for the directional signals are actually red but blink Amber. If you look at https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp
you will see that when you have RGB and combine Red and Green you do actually get Amber. So I'm thinking that BMW has coded the turn signals to use some green value, not sure which. What I can not find is anywhere within bimmercode where the either the variables or the values are specified
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #4
BFetter
Rep

I had the halogen lights on my 2018 X1 and switched to the EU LED tail lights. The EU tail lights are different then the US lights. The US light use two different areas of the tail lights for turn signal and the EU uses only one. Here is a pic of my tail light with and without the turn signal on. There is another thread talking about part numbers and coding. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFetter View Post
I had the halogen lights on my 2018 X1 and switched to the EU LED tail lights. The EU tail lights are different then the US lights. The US light use two different areas of the tail lights for turn signal and the EU uses only one. Here is a pic of my tail light with and without the turn signal on. There is another thread talking about part numbers and coding. [IMG][/IMG]
They look really great
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:44 AM   #6
JBelbute
Portugal
Rep

I just ordered the EU tail light kit from Hubauer.de and will install them as soon as they arrive. I'm guessing that there is some coding that is going to be required but I am not sure what. I think the first thing I will do is install them and see what happens then start coding one value at a time. For the benefit of others in the future I will keep a record of all the coding I do.
Appreciate 0