X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Transmission Error

06-19-2022, 05:37 PM   #221
DR-Z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWs: 530d 2013, X1 2.0D 2016

I just completed the fix, thanks to the useful guidance here. I fitted a new spring (cost me around £8 on ebay) instead of unwinding the broken spring. Whole job took me around 3 hours.

Error code has now gone away. However, I just discovered I can no longer use the gearbox in manual mode. With some difficulty I can force the selector lever over to the left into manual, but I can't then rock it forward or backwards to change gears. I guess I must somehow have reassembled the unit wrongly, so I'll have to take it apart again.

What would help would be an exploded diagram or picture of the selector box internals, but I can't seem to find one. Would be useful to see if I've somehow lost a spring or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 04:37 AM   #222
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Z View Post
I just completed the fix, thanks to the useful guidance here. I fitted a new spring (cost me around £8 on ebay) instead of unwinding the broken spring. Whole job took me around 3 hours.

Error code has now gone away. However, I just discovered I can no longer use the gearbox in manual mode. With some difficulty I can force the selector lever over to the left into manual, but I can't then rock it forward or backwards to change gears. I guess I must somehow have reassembled the unit wrongly, so I'll have to take it apart again.

What would help would be an exploded diagram or picture of the selector box internals, but I can't seem to find one. Would be useful to see if I've somehow lost a spring or something.
just check the video again mate. It shows how exactly the parts need to be alligned.
I doubt you will find a diagram for the gear selector itself
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 12:08 AM   #223
DmytroCan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Hi mates, I have the same problem with my BMW X1 2017 ~57,000KM.
I went to a local dealer but they can't sell the spring but want to sell a gear selector for $950CAD. Can someone please PM me the link where I can buy this spring?
I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #224
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Did you read the thread? I posted the link to the Ebay seller I used to get the spring https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torsion-Spr...53.m1438.l2649
      07-25-2022, 08:14 AM   #225
emilio
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 2015

Hi,

I've got the same problem with my E84 X1, the error pops up only with the when the start/stop function starts the car.

As far as I see you guys all had the problem with the next generation X1 (f48). Has anyone had this issue with an E84 X1?

Different services gave different answers (mechatronic issues, transmission card change required etc.).

Haven't been able to found a service to replace the spring and I got no mechanic skilss therefore afraid of openning up the parts myself.

So, would like to hear if anyone from Turkey has been able to fix this issue or if anyone had it with an E84?

Best,
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #226
DmytroCan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Did you read the thread? I posted the link to the Ebay seller I used to get the spring https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torsion-Spr...53.m1438.l2649
I did read it, but I felt like the spring fair price should be around $5 USD. Could not find a deal, so paid $20

Anyway, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 10:14 AM   #227
Drewsyuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Gear lever spring failure

Hi all, I complained to BMW UK, claiming this issue should be under a recall, due to the amount of people complaining about it, they advised I take my X1 to BMW Sunningdale in the UK, to have a diagnostic, after an hour they confirmed there was any issue with the gear selector.....no shit sherlock, anywho, They were not prepared to fix this and i would have to pay...... this cost me the privilege of £50 and if i wanted the work completed a further £1500......

Why is this not been picked up by BMW as a recall i do not know....

Thanks

Last edited by Drewsyuk; 07-27-2022 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 03:01 PM   #228
the snowdog
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Z View Post

Did you ever re-do this and fix the manual changing issue? Honestly, this is my fear that I screw something up and have no way to drive the car ...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #229
the snowdog
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmytroCan View Post
Hi mates, I have the same problem with my BMW X1 2017 ~57,000KM.
I went to a local dealer but they can't sell the spring but want to sell a gear selector for $950CAD. Can someone please PM me the link where I can buy this spring?
I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Does anyone know anyone or a shop that can do this in Ontario, Canada?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 10:17 PM   #230
DmytroCan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the snowdog View Post
Does anyone know anyone or a shop that can do this in Ontario, Canada?
I am in Vancouver, BC. I'll try to replace it with help of friend in few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 04:19 AM   #231
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

anyone in the UK, reach out to me, I can fix this error for you
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 07:22 PM   #232
ridley
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

[QUOTE=Shipa;27622712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWx12016 View Post

Hi! Just ask your dealer to replace the shifter mechanism as per Godwill program!
You may also right a claim to kundenbetreuung@bmw.de
This is official bmw service care email
If you will give me your email, I could forward you just for reference our letter we have sent in 2019

Can you please forward me the email?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 03:08 AM   #233
jamessfarnell
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 SDrive18D 2020

Well done everyone! I check this thread about once a year! Glad to see my guide is still helping!!
PS - I still have the car - going great. I did have a blown turbo due to the dual scroll actuator failed. I did a full turbo refurb, stage 1 tune, DPF delete. Car is like a rocket!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 03:37 PM   #234
droi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48)

This instructions helped me doing it in about 3 hours:

Stay calm and force nothing, and you will be succesfull.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #235
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
Well, I figured I’d get this error at some point, almost 50k miles on the dot and here we go. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I knew exactly what it was when the problem presented and didn’t freak out.

Warranty has been extremely unresponsive, assuming it stays that way I’ll just tackle the issue myself. The only thing I’m unclear on is whether I should buy a new spring for $10-20 or just follow the video guide and unwind the current spring one revolution. Seems like both solutions work. It’ll probably be a few weeks until I get around to it, heading to the Pikes Peak Hillclimb soon, but I’ll report back with how it goes!
Just to update this post, I did have this issue fixed, shifter assembly was replaced by my local dealership along with a massive amount of other repairs totaling almost $15,000. Thankfully no money out of my pocket because I was rear ended and the other drivers insurance paid for everything. Original quote was $2.5k of damage, quite clearly that ballooned. The good news is after 3 months with a rental(Charger with a 5.7 Hemi) I have my car back and everything seems and looks good as new! After all the time waiting, of course the repairs were complete while I was in Philadelphia picking up a ‘51 Willys, but I was happy that the insurance paid for the rental until I got back.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 02:18 AM   #236
Fazman1963
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (2015) F48 xDrive25i M

Same old Transmission error message

Hi thought I would jump on to this forum - like many I am receiving the ‘transmission’ error message and this timed well as I was putting the vehicle in for. 75K service.

Again like many received spa stupid quote for $2400 (AUS) to replace gear selector.

Question - has anyone had any success with goodwill replacement from BMW in Australia OR has heard of any update from BMW on accepting responsibility for the replacement of gear selector.

Like the info on the DIY work to replace the spring but fear not mechanical enough to risk it.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 12:42 AM   #237
j8oyj
Registered
Australia
Rep

Hey all. If any of you have this issue and living in the Sydney area, I know someone who I would highly recommend. I did a lot of research and attempted to this this myself but failed terribly on the trim removals and ended up damaging a trim!! At that point, I found BMSense online and they came out and completed the job within a few hours with no issues. Check out there website - www.bmsense.com.au

Last edited by j8oyj; 03-09-2024 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Update url
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 05:21 PM   #238
CristiC
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 218d

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Thanks for the info mike.x1

As for my problem, just two days ago I found someone in Romania who is selling repaired selectors for around 200 €. He didn't want to disclose how he did it, but he guaranteed that it will not have this problem again.
I've just bought one and received it today... bad timing.

Anyway, your info is more than useful for other owners.
Hi, I'm from Romania also, can you help me with contact details, please
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:25 PM   #239
chadwid
Registered
Rep

I have just started getting the Secure vehicle with parking brake when stationionary warning in my 2016 X1 75000 miles. I have scanned for fault codes with a cheap OBD but shows 0 faults. This month I have also had 2 other warnings - seat belt light when nobody was sitting in it which resolved after a couple of weeks and a rear light bulb failure when all lights were working fine. This also resolved after a week. My questions are - could there be another issue causing these warnings? If there was a problem with a broken spring, should there be a fault code?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 09:47 AM   #240
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwid View Post
I have just started getting the Secure vehicle with parking brake when stationionary warning in my 2016 X1 75000 miles. I have scanned for fault codes with a cheap OBD but shows 0 faults. This month I have also had 2 other warnings - seat belt light when nobody was sitting in it which resolved after a couple of weeks and a rear light bulb failure when all lights were working fine. This also resolved after a week. My questions are - could there be another issue causing these warnings? If there was a problem with a broken spring, should there be a fault code?
wouldn’t be any code for the broken spring. it’s a warning much like when brake pads are low which is why you see it displayed on idrive.

good luck with replacement.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 06:31 AM   #241
chadwid
Registered
Rep

Anyone know of a garage or mechanic in the Kent, UK area able to do this repair?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 11:20 AM   #242
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwid View Post
Anyone know of a garage or mechanic in the Kent, UK area able to do this repair?
Hi, I can fix this for you. If you are interested, PM me. Thanks
Appreciate 0