BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 AVIN Android Head Unit

03-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Post F48 AVIN Android Head Unit

I wanted to provide some additional information for anybody interested in buying one of these head units for their F48.
Before we get started - I didn't take as many photos as I wanted, I apologize.
My setup
-2017 F48 (X1)
-Tech Package with 8.8" ID4 Screen
-iPhone XS Max (for CarPlay)
-Bruised hands (you'll see why later)

First Impressions/Reason
I wanted CarPlay in my BMW especially for Waze and other navigation options. I looked at the bimmertech and retrofit of an NBT Evo unit but ultimately the cost on the NBT unit was going to run close to $2k the bimmertech priced about the same as this screen. Ultimately I decided on the screen since it looked like I'd get more options out of it.
- The box included everything - I opted for the CarPlay adapter and the GPS splitter.
- The color in came in was a dark grey (my trim is black -photos later) I was a bit disappointed with this but it doesn't stand out toooo much.
- The screen is definitely bigger. However, it doesn't seem as bright as the stock screen (which is a bit of a disappointment)
- Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5 star option. (Check the problem/issues part)

Problems encountered during setup
- My Original head unit barely pulled out from the car and made it extremely difficult (more annoying) to get the cables installed.
- Attempting to put in an SD card [I]after[I] install was not an easy task (I've ended up leaving the back of the door off for right now.

Problems encountered after setup
- Auto PDC caused the screen to freak out and go between the original head unit and the Android unit (I ended up turning Auto PDC off)
- CarPlay seems to work okay when playing music it seems to do a split second skip in audio from time to time - According to AVINs support site they recommend turning off bluetooth (didn't mention on which device). I turned it off in the car, head unit and phone and it still occurred, I've tried different phones and made sure everything was upgraded (No luck)... If anybody has any ideas let me know. I'm also going to reach out to them but we'll see if I get a response.
- No auto brightness -- This is more of a pain than anything, especially at night; if you select an app or the setting menu, you'll be blinded.
Update: I notice the screen does dim a little bit when the headlights come up, its not dynamic like the original screen - I still find myself needing to manually adjust brightness from time to time.
- WiFi Screen Mirror - When I attempt to use this feature it never seems to work I haven't tried it again after the first few minutes of using the head unit -- I was more interested in CarPlay anyway. Update: Still no success in using this, I only get a green bar, the phone acts like its connected but nothing is ever displayed.
- If you're playing a video and then go to CarPlay I've noticed the video may continue to play in the background over the CarPlay audio.
- Unable to use Siri in Apple CarPlay, no voice is picked up
UpdateAccording to AVIN, the Head unit microphone is only for calls -- this is a disappointment -- I'm going to attempt to get a USB Microphone and see if it works.

What you've been waiting for... The install
I'll try and provide the most details I can to try and help anybody willing to do this install.
- Tools you'll need Torx screwdriver, trim tools (You can easily get these from any car part store)
1) Start at from the passenger side vent using your trim tools pull the dash trim away working your way to the other side near the screen (don't pull it completely out on each side, just start pulling it partially out)

2) Work your way down towards the Radio Controls/AC Controls

3) once its loosened up enough - Pull out the plug for the trim lights on the passenger side, then the safety switch/emergency light switch plug (right below the screen) -- You may have to tug on the trim a little bit to get it popped out enough (I thought I was going to break it but I didn't have any casualties.

4) Unplug the Radio Controls - AC Controls and don't forget the small LED light at the bottom of the trim after that it should completely come off -- the entire top trim (with the vents) AND the AC/Radio controls will all come off in one large piece. I just placed it in the rear of the car while I was working.

5) You'll see your main head unit - there is two torx screws on either side of the unit, unscrew those and set them aside (don't lose them).

6) This is where I started having problems, My unit barely pulled out, just enough to get my hand in there (hence the bruises). Hopefully yours can pull all the way out -- if so this should be fairly easy.

7) On the right hand side you'll see a blue connector - This is your GPS plug in the middle you'll see the gator clip (where most of the wires are) there will also be two green wires (one is green with a black wrap) that's plugged into this gator clip.

8) If you got the GPS Splitter (I hope so, its worth it) push the clip out from the stock one, put it in the splitter and reinsert one end back into the head unit.

9) Unplug the gator clip, then unplug the two green wires that are plugged in towards the bottom left of the gator clip. (You must put these back in or you'll get no audio)

10) Plug the original gatorclip into the new harness, then plug the other side into the back of your head unit -- remember those green wires, plus those back in to the head unit (it will plug in to the new harness)

11) Right underneath the screen there are two Torx screws, unscrew those (don't lose the screws ) then pull up on the screen, there are two clips in the back of the screen holding it in place, be careful when pulling as you don't want to damage the connector. Unhook the pink connector in the back and set the screen aside.

12) Time to manage the wires -- Run the new screen harness wire (you'll be able to tell on the new harness) up and out of the hole where the screen and existing plug is (keep the pink plug up there too). Run your GPS wire up there too.

13) If you also get two USB and RCA cables with the head unit, Run your USB cable up to the hole for the screen and optionally do it for the RCA cables (it's a tight fit so if you're not going to use them you may want to leave them out)

14) I ran the USB Cable down the passenger side and into the glovebox -- there is a small opening that goes between the dash and you can pull it thru the passenger side vent. Go into your glove box and pull out the right tab using your trim tool, you can then run the USB plus thru there.

15) Take out your new screen, hook up all the wires (they're only going to hook up one way). If you plan on putting in a memory card DO THIS NOW. Then start pulling the wires down as you move the new screen in place - Also move them further down where the main head unit is going to go (its a tight fit).

16) Before I started putting everything back in its place I went to make sure it all worked, I turned the car on and used the iDrive controller to switch back and forth between the android unit and factory menu - I also tested the audio.

17) from here just reverse everything, tighten the screen back down, slide your main head unit back in and tighten it then pull your trim and hook everything back up.

18) Pat yourself on the back, you're done.

Final Thoughts
I think this can be a good option if you're wanting a bigger screen or more functionality from your stock unit. I rate this a 3.5 out of 5 because it feels like a half completed product (software wise) and can be very glitchy. The screen doesn't look as bright as the original but I think more time with this I'll probably be able to customize it a bit more and enjoy it.

I've attached the photos I did take - hope this helps somebody!
Attached Images

Last edited by PurePulse64; 03-24-2019 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Added additional information.
Appreciate 6
MJE60678.00
iceman7117.00
pj7413.50
NJDK19.50
      03-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Great job!
Get the latest firmware update to try solving some of your minor problems.
You are quite right about the brightness comparing to your original 8,8 screen.
But comparing to the original 6,5 screen that all Greek owners had, the brightness is fine!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Great job!
Get the latest firmware update to try solving some of your minor problems.
You are quite right about the brightness comparing to your original 8,8 screen.
But comparing to the original 6,5 screen that all Greek owners had, the brightness is fine!
I tried the firmware but it didn't fix any of the audio skipping. Are you able to use Siri?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 04:33 AM   #4
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

No I am not using ACP at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
No I am not using ACP at all.
I bought a different CarPlay dongle so I'll be able to see if the one I received is causing the issue. Avin responded asking if I updated it (which I said I did in the initial request) no response from them yet
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
MR_X
Old guy
Rep
Drives: tricycle

Is this the only option we have at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #7
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
Is this the only option we have at the moment?
Bimmertech has a car play adapter that can be installed. But it's $525. The AVIN screen started at $389 — it was $560 after I got the upgraded processor, CarPlay adapter, GPS splitter and expedited shipping.
Overall, for the cost I figured the AVIN would give more functionality for the money.

As an update I got the new CarPlay adapter today and for the short time I used it I didn't seem to encounter the skipping issue.. I'll have more time to verify on my drive to work tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Angry

The new Dongle didn't make a difference and the skipping issue still continues to happen.

I sent a request to AVIN to see if I could return the unit based on all of that. They have a 7 day return policy with a 20% restocking fee... Maybe they'll be willing to provide an exception because of the issue(s).

If not, I may be putting it up for sale if anybody would be interested, the apps and everything work fine but I wanted this for CarPlay, and obviously there are some underlying software issues.

Last edited by PurePulse64; 03-21-2019 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: I can't word right :D
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
MR_X
Old guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePulse64 View Post
Bimmertech has a car play adapter that can be installed. But it's $525. The AVIN screen started at $389 — it was $560 after I got the upgraded processor, CarPlay adapter, GPS splitter and expedited shipping.
Overall, for the cost I figured the AVIN would give more functionality for the money.

As an update I got the new CarPlay adapter today and for the short time I used it I didn't seem to encounter the skipping issue.. I'll have more time to verify on my drive to work tomorrow
This is the reply I got from Bimmertech:

Hi,

Unfortunately, carplay is not compatible with the ENAVEVO head unit installed in your car.
The only way for Carplay to work is to install a new navigation retrofit - NBT Evo ID5/6.
It costs around 3000 usd. We don't sell if for the F48 model but some other companies might, please find them on Bimmerfest and Bimmerpost forums.
In case of any other questions, please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is the reply I got from Bimmertech:

Hi,

Unfortunately, carplay is not compatible with the ENAVEVO head unit installed in your car.
The only way for Carplay to work is to install a new navigation retrofit - NBT Evo ID5/6.
It costs around 3000 usd. We don't sell if for the F48 model but some other companies might, please find them on Bimmerfest and Bimmerpost forums.
In case of any other questions, please let me know.
Originally I was looking at getting an OEM unit for the car to get CarPlay -- Thats how I ended up doing the android unit (Cost + Features).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #11
MR_X
Old guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally I was looking at getting an OEM unit for the car to get CarPlay -- Thats how I ended up doing the android unit (Cost + Features).
Figured this would be the best option. Just not to impressed with your review. It is f R the wife’s car and it would have to work as close as possible for her to use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Figured this would be the best option. Just not to impressed with your review. It is f R the wife’s car and it would have to work as close as possible for her to use it.
What do you think she would be using it for? I've been using it without CarPlay and using Waze isn't too bad, You just have to use the touch screen more than I would prefer (find it a bit of a reach from how I normally sit in the car versus using the iDrive) I'm going to update my review with some additional info/screenshots.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #13
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I added a few updates in my original post.
I have decided I'm going to keep the head unit.. Minus the CarPlay. Even though I really wanted it for CarPlay -- I mainly use Waze and Spotify, They work decent enough on the HU as standalone. The only downside is the lack of the iDrive controller versus CarPlay.. It may seem minor to some but I rather use the iDrive controller since its a bit easier to use versus looking at the touch screen and tapping on something. Here are a few screenshots of how Waze and Spotify look on the screen.
For Spotify.. If the track doesn't have one of the "videos" it moves everything to the far left of the screen and shows the album art cover, swiping on the screen can change the tracks -- If the song has one of the Spotify "Videos" It will play on the screen.

I have noticed if the skip track forward/backward don't work if you open the video app from the HU Main menu and then exit back out the controls start to work...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
iceman7117.00
pj7413.50
MJE60678.00
      03-25-2019, 05:13 AM   #14
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

As time passes you will appreciate more what this unit has to offer especially at this price!
Well done!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #15
MR_X
Old guy
Rep

Quote:
What do you think she would be using it for? I've been using it without CarPlay and using Waze isn't too bad, You just have to use the touch screen more than I would prefer (find it a bit of a reach from how I normally sit in the car versus using the iDrive) I'm going to update my review with some additional info/screenshots.
We use Carplay quite a lot. Not just for Waze but for everything else. Currently we don't get to see all the notifications when connected to the factory unit. Pandora, Spotify doesn't work the greatest either. Can't use Waze without actually mounting the phone in view. In my M4 (which has Carplay) my phone never leaves my pocket or it gets stowed in the center console.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:18 PM   #16
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We use Carplay quite a lot. Not just for Waze but for everything else. Currently we don't get to see all the notifications when connected to the factory unit. Pandora, Spotify doesn't work the greatest either. Can't use Waze without actually mounting the phone in view. In my M4 (which has Carplay) my phone never leaves my pocket or it gets stowed in the center console.
I would've been okay with the limitations but that audio skipping was driving me nuts. I kept hearing it.

I still haven't heard back from AVIN - I keep following up everyday.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #17
pj74
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Great work! I have ordered one + backup camera from AVIN, it is arriving soon

My original unit is the 6.5 so big upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #18
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Keep us posted and good luck pj74 . Did you also order CarPlay option? If so, we would be interested to know if you have same problems with it as PurePulse64 has.
Appreciate 1
pj7413.50
      03-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #19
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj74 View Post
Great work! I have ordered one + backup camera from AVIN, it is arriving soon

My original unit is the 6.5 so big upgrade!
Hopefully those instructions help you on the install! let me know if you have any questions I'll try and help the best I can!

Also, if you did get the CarPlay, let me know if you have that skipping issue.. You probably won't notice it until you listen to a few different tracks.

Last edited by PurePulse64; 03-26-2019 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #20
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

USB Microphone

I found the way to get Voice Commands (including in CarPlay) working.
I purchased a USB Microphone off Amazon: (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074BLM973..._NmSMCb66F1HFW

I hooked it up to one of the USB Ports and ran it behind the Head Unit (I'm going to push the exposed wire behind tomorrow -- I ran out of daylight)
I tried it out and it was picking me up without issues, I tried it with Waze and then tried it with CarPlay/Siri.. Worked completely fine.

I also got a wireless keyboard/mouse from amazon, it looks like the one AVIN sells it was just $9 (no backlight) I may swap it for the backlight version if I find myself using it a lot. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
iceman7117.00
pj7413.50
      03-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #21
pj74
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Great news!, I’m installing my unit this weekend so thanks for sharing all the installation details and pictures

I won’t need CarPlay (Samsung S8) but I may consider it in the future for my wife.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #22
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj74 View Post
Great news!, I’m installing my unit this weekend so thanks for sharing all the installation details and pictures

I won’t need CarPlay (Samsung S8) but I may consider it in the future for my wife.
Good luck!! It's a pretty easy straightforward install! If you find any cool tips/tricks let me know!
Appreciate 0