BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 AVIN Android Head Unit

06-22-2021, 12:55 AM   #89
asolism
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelSorel View Post
Ok Finally I have succeeded to install the android screen (Black screen 10.25 inch display, Qualcom 8 core, 4G RAM, 64G stoage with 4G LTE):
- The "no signal" message was due to a badly plugged power harness.
- No need to run an AUX cable as the sound is perfectly working on android and BMW part (sound quality on android side is the same as on the BMW side)
- I have installed the GPS antenna inside the dashboard and keep receiving a very good signal strength and GPS fix is nearly instant. so no need to install the antenna on a visible place.

I have changed the android UI to ID6 as I don't like the ID7 part.
So far everything is working perfectly through wifi tethering. I did not yet test the 4G LTE.

Will update after a week of full tests.

one thing though, As I had an 6.5 inch display, I got a half display image on the BMW side, I know that I need to do some coding to configure the CAR on an 8.8 inch, so how would I do this ? thanks.

Some photos

Hi, could you tell me where did you place your GPS antenna? I'm looking for alternatives, I don't want to place it over the dashboard. Also, did you coded your 6.5 screen to fill the android screen? Are all 6.5 screen expandable (I have the basic model, no navigation)

Thanks in advance. I know it's an old post but hopefully, someone else or yourself could give me some tips.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #90
djadam
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

You can recode the screen resolution so it should fill the screen like the wide variant.

Would those that installed it recommend this over a standard original 8.8" CID?

I don't know which way to go atm.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #91
Infoteknerd
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djadam View Post
You can recode the screen resolution so it should fill the screen like the wide variant.

Thanks
I love it.

There are some quirks compared to an OEM Screen, but the built-in features that you get can overcome the differences in anti-glare and auto-dimming.

Only major thing I can say is that if you do, don't use the aux splitter behind the dash, audio was horrible until I removed it.
Appreciate 1
djadam28.00
      07-15-2021, 10:13 PM   #92
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by djadam View Post

Thanks
Also had a stock 8.8" unit, non-touch.

Personally I wasn't happy with the Avinr build quality and experienced some buggy behaviour with the Avin unit. My first unit had a broken antenna and getting support / a replacement was like pulling teeth. The unit works, but it's also compromised. This was around 6 months ago so maybe software updates have fixed some things since.

I've since switched to the iNav unit and it's SO much better built (hardware wise) and more polished software. They use LG 2K anti glare screens and it makes a huge difference. Better screen reflection handling, better black levels at night, and the coating is better at repelling fingerprints. Personally, Avin felt like a beta test compared to iNav. INav also has North America support and they'll facetime with you and walk through the installation process if you run into issues. Not to mention that have both 10.25" and 12.3" screens available. Unfortunately when I installed they only had 10.25" but I'm tempted to upgrade..

There may be other good options out there, but I recommend checking the competition when buying a unit. It would be nice if someone did a roundup youtube video comparing the different brands. They all look the same but the quality and software can vary greatly.

Zzzz
Appreciate 1
djadam28.00
      07-18-2021, 01:32 PM   #93
stealth1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

FYI, I have a 10.25" AVIN snapdragan / Android 10 unit for sale, made for F48 / F39, PM me if interested. Thanks!

Here's a link to the post: LINK
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 06:40 PM   #94
ypk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx1f48 View Post
I had the same issue installing the MMI BOX in my X1 F48 2016. I managed to connect all the cables behind the HU without pulling it out by disassembling the glove box compartment and squeezing my arm through the glove box till my hand reached the quadlock cable. I think it is easier than removing the center console.
At the risk of reviving this ancient thread, any instructions you followed to remove that glovebox? I just can't get it out properly and cables of that MMi box are about 2 inches wiggle room at most. I can barely fit one hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 05:59 PM   #95
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Great write up here yall, thank you! I will be doing a similar install soon, and will have a full DIY video for it.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1