BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Ambient lightning only on underside?

01-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
Patmar Jahomes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Ambient lightning only on underside?

I just took delivery of my new BMW X1 from the dealership. I opted for the sDrive 18i because I wanted a manual. I also added the High Executive package as well as the (ambient) lightning package (427 euros). In the showroom, it looked really nice on a showroom car but unfortunately on my car it seems it only has an led strip on the underside?

This is what it should look like according to the BMW website. You can clearly see the top stripe with the dimmed light on the underside. As I said, my car only has the underside led strip. The top stripe is physically not installed. It's this way on all passenger doors.

This is how it looks like in my car:

The black part is installed and the red part isn't installed.

Is there a reason why it's like this? When I ordered my car, it didn't appear it would only include an underside light. It leaves a sour taste because 427 euros is way too expensive for only some underside lights. The way it is now, it looks like it's a 20 euros led strip from AliExpress. The whole reason why I opted for the lightning package, was for the top stripes. Any reason why they only installed the underside strips but still charged full price?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmar Jahomes View Post
I just took delivery of my new BMW X1 from the dealership. I opted for the sDrive 18i because I wanted a manual. I also added the High Executive package as well as the (ambient) lightning package (427 euros). In the showroom, it looked really nice on a showroom car but unfortunately on my car it seems it only has an led strip on the underside?

This is what it should look like according to the BMW website. You can clearly see the top stripe with the dimmed light on the underside. As I said, my car only has the underside led strip. The top stripe is physically not installed. It's this way on all passenger doors.

This is how it looks like in my car:

The black part is installed and the red part isn't installed.

Is there a reason why it's like this? When I ordered my car, it didn't appear it would only include an underside light. It leaves a sour taste because 427 euros is way too expensive for only some underside lights. The way it is now, it looks like it's a 20 euros led strip from AliExpress. The whole reason why I opted for the lightning package, was for the top stripes. Any reason why they only installed the underside strips but still charged full price?
Ask the dealer, that would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth tbh
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Hi, I also have an 18d with High Executive model, with lights package and I have the same problem. It's not so great, but it's more than nothing...
I think it's somehow related with the entry level models (18i or d), or the light package for the High Executive mode.
Unfortunately I cannot ask the dealer why, because I didn't configured the car myself, but the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
Patmar Jahomes
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Ask the dealer, that would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth tbh
I'm contacting the dealer tomorrow, will update here.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
Patmar Jahomes
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Hi, I also have an 18d with High Executive model, with lights package and I have the same problem. It's not so great, but it's more than nothing...
I think it's somehow related with the entry level models (18i or d), or the light package for the High Executive mode.
Unfortunately I cannot ask the dealer why, because I didn't configured the car myself, but the previous owner.
Yeah I read that a few people have the same problem. The weird thing is that they 1. charge full price and 2. don't mention anything afaik about the fact that it only comes with the underside strip. I checked both brochures and the website and couldn't find any disclaimer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:04 PM   #6
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

The answer is what it always is, cost cutting, and I can't say for sure, but unless they specifically call out all the ambient lighting strips and their locations, they can change what is part of the build at any time and three isn't much recourse.

It's the same discussion that was had when they removed the cover off the center cup holder, folks miss it, but it's not a vital part of the vehicle, and it was never specifically called out as a feature.

You keep saying "but they charged full price" the answer is they charged for an ambient lighting option, and they delivered that, albeit in a lesser caliber than you expected.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      01-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The answer is what it always is, cost cutting, and I can't say for sure, but unless they specifically call out all the ambient lighting strips and their locations, they can change what is part of the build at any time and three isn't much recourse.

It's the same discussion that was had when they removed the cover off the center cup holder, folks miss it, but it's not a vital part of the vehicle, and it was never specifically called out as a feature.

You keep saying "but they charged full price" the answer is they charged for an ambient lighting option, and they delivered that, albeit in a lesser caliber than you expected.
I hear you and you're not wrong, but that doesn't make the OP wrong either.

If you put a pic of something up and say you pay this amount and you get this in the pic, and in fact you do not. Well I'd call that false advertising, and I realize that doesn't hold much water anywhere except the us really, I'd still bring it up because you're paying a lot of money for something and not getting what's advertised.

I appreciate there's probably nothing that can be done, the dealer won't change the car and the car and BMW isn't going to recall tens of thousands of pics to change the advertisement, but they should know that they are deliberately deceiving people and it's one step removed from stealing.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

Agreed. You should get what you pay for especially when it is advertised as such.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #9
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmar Jahomes View Post
Have you tried to configure your car in the online configurator and see how it looks like? You can actually see the upper LED in the configurator.
      01-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #10
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Maybe a lawyer cold help by making an oficial complain to the dealer, because they sold another thing comparing with what is shown and charged.
Maybe the dealer could reimburse the charge for the option, or offer another compensation.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #11
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Maybe a lawyer cold help by making an oficial complain to the dealer, because they sold another thing comparing with what is shown and charged.
Maybe the dealer could reimburse the charge for the option, or offer another compensation.
I can pretty much assure you that the answer will be neither of those.
Hiring a lawyer gets one nowhere since the details of how extensive the ambient lighting strips are is not called out, and a dealer can only sell what's delivered.

The only item that might, and I saw only might happen is that the dealer might make a gesture to the buyer to try to make a good impression, but there's certainly nothing they "have" to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #12
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I can pretty much assure you that the answer will be neither of those.
Hiring a lawyer gets one nowhere since the details of how extensive the ambient lighting strips are is not called out, and a dealer can only sell what's delivered.

The only item that might, and I saw only might happen is that the dealer might make a gesture to the buyer to try to make a good impression, but there's certainly nothing they "have" to do.
This is exactly what I'm thinking in reading this thread. Dont get me wrong I totally get why they'd be upset when this happened, I would be too. And it does seem like BMW is representing the lighting as being more complete, but I'd be shocked if BMW doesn't reserve the right to get away with these kinds of changes. All sorts of features are changed year-to-year(usually for cost-cutting as you said). I just have the feeling that, somewhere, in all the literature, BMW has carved out exceptions for this kind of stuff. Definitely worth a solid complaint at the dealer and whoever you can get ahold of, but don't expect them to change the manufacturing process let alone feel obligated to refund you.

At first I honestly thought that maybe OP's car was just an accident in manufacturing, sounds like this is the new normal though. You can have more colors, but only half the lighting haha.

I'm interested in hearing the response from the dealer though, do keep us posted OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:35 PM   #13
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

A lot of marketing and sales photos include small fine print in the advertising that states something like "subject to change without notice" or "product may not be exactly as shown".

Caveat emptor.
Appreciate 1
dianebrat109.50
      01-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #14
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

But, I don't see any difference between the two pictures, am I missing anything?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:36 PM   #15
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00max00 View Post
But, I don't see any difference between the two pictures, am I missing anything?
Hey bud

No difference between the pics.

If you read the caption he says the ambient light in the black box in pic two I think he said he doesn't have.

But otherwise the pics are the same.

I'm guess the new x1 doesn't have the lower set of lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #16
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Patmar stated:

"The black part is installed and the red part isn't installed."

The top light strip is missing.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:09 PM   #17
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

I have nothing useful to contribute to the OP, but as a new X1 owner, I am fascinated at how many variations of the X1 there are. My 2021 X1 indeed has both light strips.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 02:17 AM   #18
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
Patmar stated:

"The black part is installed and the red part isn't installed."

The top light strip is missing.
Whoops, I mixed them up, but that's even more bizarre.

I assumed looking at my 2017, the bottom "light" was the top light illuminating the panel trim below.

Not to sure them.

OP any updates?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:14 AM   #19
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Humm. I just looked at this thread for the first time and have the following observation. My UK LCI 2020 (built 8 Sept 2020) X1 xDrive 2.0i M Sport HAS the top and bottom LED lights. It is part of the Comfort Pack 1 and is code 563 for the UK. See details below in the eBrochure.

From the UK April 2020 eBrochure that I downloaded when I configured/purchased my new car, (for M Sport) it is called "Extended LED Lighting" and not just Extended Lighting. Note the omission of the LED word statement. It is also worth noting that the XLine and Sport variant as standard just has the words "LED ambient lighting in door trim". Very confusing and easy to misinterpret and misunderstand. BMW at is very best (Not).

It is certainly a problem in different theatres where cars are configured by their respective franchises.
Attached Images

2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 01-31-2021 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:11 AM   #20
izzy.gianino
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10 e39

I know the pain. I had a hard time accepting that I was fooled as well. The problem is that they've done everything right from a legal standpoint, and it is difficult or impossible to sue them or make any other legal claims. It is always about cutting the costs, even when talking about minor things like an extra strip light. I can't say for sure, but unless they specifically mention the position of the ambient lighting strips, they can change it. Even my old E39 has better interior car lighting now.

Last edited by izzy.gianino; 06-21-2022 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0