BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 2017 F48 Questions/Review

01-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
tmdoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 w/M, Turbo Focus, Turbo Fox

2017 F48 Questions/Review

Hope everyone is doing well,

Picked up a 2017 X1 xdrive28i with the M Sport Package back in July. Traded a 2013 mini for it, so we got a pretty great deal on it. This was a present for my girlfriend and a step forward in our adventurous life. It came with an unlimited mile warranty until July 2022. Only had 20k miles on it from a lease. Immediately, we took the X1 on a road trip from California to North Carolina, then back. This was rated at 31mpg, but I got 33mpg average and 35mpg for certain long periods (mountains and hills). I stayed in Drive mode most the time, but would switch to Eco mode to coast down the hills/mountains. I didn't see the advantage of using Eco for straight/easy cruising roads. Only difference was my seat warmer was turned off, so less comfortable. I was T boned in 2019 in a different vehicle, so sitting for extended periods of time is kind of rough for me. The lumbar support plus the seat warmer is seriously amazing for me. I have it angled perfectly for lower back support/where my herniation is. I'm used to slapping in some bucket seats/Ricarios into my project cars, so this was a nice change. My pup had the entire back folded down and covered with blankets and pillows. There is an amazing compartment where a spare would be. It is a perfect spot to keep supplies hidden or just out of the way. We scuba dive, and the tanks literally fit like a glove and are completely hidden! Only complaint is the Run Flats, otherwise this thing is like riding on a cloud.

I also took a road trip to the mountains of Eastern Arizona from California. Everything fit well, but a little snug inside the back with the pup. I went and bought a rack for the top to solve that. I'm 6'0 and my girlfriend, myself, and my pup all slept in the back with the seats folded down. Had a memory foam topper to sleep on as well. It was great. The Panoramic Roof made for star views while we laid there. Seriously perfect. The AWD drive portion concerned me with the form they presented, but after my fun in Arizona, I am not concerned at all with the version they have developed. It handled dips, slips, wet, loose gravel, etc. like a true AWD champion. The paddle shifters are perfect. I drove a Subaru Forester XT and a Ford Escape Titanium before deciding on the X1. The Escape showed how behind Ford still is with technology, it was straight up scary to shift. They haven't changed since the early 2010s with that issue. The Subaru showed they are in the AWD game, but lacked comfort, especially in the speaker department. The paddle shifters are instant with the X1. Add Sport Mode and the M values really shine. The independent suspension can instantly feel locked in. It is nice and stiff. The throttle/transmission is then adjusted, and suddenly you are in a SUV race car. It isn't the fastest 0-60 at about 6.2, but the handling and rest of the features prove this is a machine built well. Seriously, compliments to the chef.....I mean maker. For a BMW with 'Mini' parts, I would consider a Mini.

I haven't towed with it yet, but it is rated up to 4400lbs. I anticipate slapping a hitch on it after my big move to Florida at the end of this month.

Parts are out there. I love that the B46 motor, correct me if wrong please, is widely available on multiple models. I have always built my cars/worked on cars. My inspiration for this purchase was a 2002 E36 M5 with the Dinan package my buddy had. The comfort plus power had me hooked on BMW. Learning how to work on them was the icing, I knew I had to have one some day. I got rid of my 2002 Turbo Focus I built, and as I said we traded her Mini in. One issue I have always considered when building/buying a vehicle is where are the parts when it breaks? LKQ? Junkyard of any kind? Or just through a manufacturer. There is a fair amount of parts for the X1. And after my warranty is over, I'm hoping for more tunes from JB4 and Dinan.

This has truly proved to be a great investment, and I am so excited to autocross this beast.

No complaints besides the usual strange BMW motor noises and the Run Flats.

Questions:

Anyway to put it in Nuetral manually besides the shifter? Like holding in the paddle shifters in or some button combo, like there is for resetting service?

Anyone tune this and have video of showing what the results were/what it can handle?

Anyone have information in general on what the motor/pistons/rods/etc. is rated to handle? Not looking to do anything dangerous or even tune it past a safe/conservative tune. I changed the oil myself, and the placement of everything was so nice and easy.

Any and all knowledge is appreciated! Also, what have your experiences been? Any common problems I should look forward to?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:37 AM   #2
Sphinx144
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Have had mine new since 2016. Daily driver, No major problems, the front control arms have gone out and need to be replaced now that is out of warranty but that's about it. I would keep an eye on them and if you notice any cluncking sound when going over bumps, have them fixed while you still have a warranty. Also, one of the tail lights gets water condensation but it's minimal and I just dry it with a hair drier every now and then.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdoc View Post
Hope everyone is doing well,

Picked up a 2017 X1 xdrive28i with the M Sport Package back in July. Traded a 2013 mini for it, so we got a pretty great deal on it. This was a present for my girlfriend and a step forward in our adventurous life. It came with an unlimited mile warranty until July 2022. Only had 20k miles on it from a lease. Immediately, we took the X1 on a road trip from California to North Carolina, then back. This was rated at 31mpg, but I got 33mpg average and 35mpg for certain long periods (mountains and hills). I stayed in Drive mode most the time, but would switch to Eco mode to coast down the hills/mountains. I didn't see the advantage of using Eco for straight/easy cruising roads. Only difference was my seat warmer was turned off, so less comfortable. I was T boned in 2019 in a different vehicle, so sitting for extended periods of time is kind of rough for me. The lumbar support plus the seat warmer is seriously amazing for me. I have it angled perfectly for lower back support/where my herniation is. I'm used to slapping in some bucket seats/Ricarios into my project cars, so this was a nice change. My pup had the entire back folded down and covered with blankets and pillows. There is an amazing compartment where a spare would be. It is a perfect spot to keep supplies hidden or just out of the way. We scuba dive, and the tanks literally fit like a glove and are completely hidden! Only complaint is the Run Flats, otherwise this thing is like riding on a cloud.

I also took a road trip to the mountains of Eastern Arizona from California. Everything fit well, but a little snug inside the back with the pup. I went and bought a rack for the top to solve that. I'm 6'0 and my girlfriend, myself, and my pup all slept in the back with the seats folded down. Had a memory foam topper to sleep on as well. It was great. The Panoramic Roof made for star views while we laid there. Seriously perfect. The AWD drive portion concerned me with the form they presented, but after my fun in Arizona, I am not concerned at all with the version they have developed. It handled dips, slips, wet, loose gravel, etc. like a true AWD champion. The paddle shifters are perfect. I drove a Subaru Forester XT and a Ford Escape Titanium before deciding on the X1. The Escape showed how behind Ford still is with technology, it was straight up scary to shift. They haven't changed since the early 2010s with that issue. The Subaru showed they are in the AWD game, but lacked comfort, especially in the speaker department. The paddle shifters are instant with the X1. Add Sport Mode and the M values really shine. The independent suspension can instantly feel locked in. It is nice and stiff. The throttle/transmission is then adjusted, and suddenly you are in a SUV race car. It isn't the fastest 0-60 at about 6.2, but the handling and rest of the features prove this is a machine built well. Seriously, compliments to the chef.....I mean maker. For a BMW with 'Mini' parts, I would consider a Mini.

I haven't towed with it yet, but it is rated up to 4400lbs. I anticipate slapping a hitch on it after my big move to Florida at the end of this month.

Parts are out there. I love that the B46 motor, correct me if wrong please, is widely available on multiple models. I have always built my cars/worked on cars. My inspiration for this purchase was a 2002 E36 M5 with the Dinan package my buddy had. The comfort plus power had me hooked on BMW. Learning how to work on them was the icing, I knew I had to have one some day. I got rid of my 2002 Turbo Focus I built, and as I said we traded her Mini in. One issue I have always considered when building/buying a vehicle is where are the parts when it breaks? LKQ? Junkyard of any kind? Or just through a manufacturer. There is a fair amount of parts for the X1. And after my warranty is over, I'm hoping for more tunes from JB4 and Dinan.

This has truly proved to be a great investment, and I am so excited to autocross this beast.

No complaints besides the usual strange BMW motor noises and the Run Flats.

Questions:

Anyway to put it in Nuetral manually besides the shifter? Like holding in the paddle shifters in or some button combo, like there is for resetting service?

Anyone tune this and have video of showing what the results were/what it can handle?

Anyone have information in general on what the motor/pistons/rods/etc. is rated to handle? Not looking to do anything dangerous or even tune it past a safe/conservative tune. I changed the oil myself, and the placement of everything was so nice and easy.

Any and all knowledge is appreciated! Also, what have your experiences been? Any common problems I should look forward to?
Hey bud, congrats on the new car. I'll be getting one fairly soon in the same color, all going well.

Where'd you get the roof rack?

FWIW I thought I read something about there not being a JB for the x1 anymore? Or maybe you're supposed to get the JB for the mini.

I've found the X1 forum to be really sparse in terms of mods and information available compared to the other sections like the 3 series (obviously).

For aftermarket parts I'd give ebay a look, but like all things, it depends what you're looking for and what you want to do to the car.

Any ideas or goals in mind for future mods?
Appreciate 0