BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Mudflaps

01-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Mudflaps

In Scotland we have had a few weeks now of freezing temperatures, some snow falls and the accompanying gritted roads.

I had forgotten how dirty the rear of the X1 gets in this weather (not helped by having a white X1).

I now have a routine that before I start a journey, I wipe the rear camera lens as it just gets thick with muck and is useless.

Is there anyone on here that has mudflaps and do you think they make a difference? And if so, how easy are they to fit as I seem to remember reading that they involved having to remove rivets and screws etc to install them?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Attached are the BMW mud flap installation instructions, which should give you a good idea of the process. Note: the OEM flaps may not work if you have the M sport trim. Here's another thread: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1612958

I did the installation myself about 1.5 years ago and they're still holding up great. A few screws and one-time use rivets had to get removed, but the BMW retrofit kit came with all the necessary hardware. DIY difficulty is easy to moderate.

I think the flaps help with keeping the car slightly cleaner and may reduce the likelihood of debris/stones getting kicked up into the paint. However, my rear tail gate area always ends up being the dirtiest, even with the mud flaps so it may not minimize/prevent mud from getting on the rear camera.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmwmudflapfitting001.compressed.pdf (1.03 MB, 157 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 05:48 AM   #3
Alpha8Dog
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Just took delivery of a 2021 X1 25i M Sport. First post.

Thanks to the the members of this forum I was able to buy genuine mud flaps from my local dealer with confidence (who was reluctant because of the "not for M Sport" warning) and fit them myself.

As everyone has said, the fronts fit very well (just a tiny gap under the sill), while the rears take a bit of persuasion to fit and leave a 2-3mm gap where the sill curves, but hardly noticeable.

Great to have them on as we ventured onto some gravel roads in the wet today. Wife and I are enjoying the X1!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #4
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
Attached are the BMW mud flap installation instructions, which should give you a good idea of the process. Note: the OEM flaps may not work if you have the M sport trim. Here's another thread: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1612958

I did the installation myself about 1.5 years ago and they're still holding up great. A few screws and one-time use rivets had to get removed, but the BMW retrofit kit came with all the necessary hardware. DIY difficulty is easy to moderate.

I think the flaps help with keeping the car slightly cleaner and may reduce the likelihood of debris/stones getting kicked up into the paint. However, my rear tail gate area always ends up being the dirtiest, even with the mud flaps so it may not minimize/prevent mud from getting on the rear camera.
I agree with your points. I have mud flaps on my 340 and want to get them for my X1, but at least for the 340 the back (and back up camera) gets just as dirty with the flaps on as it did with out the flaps. But rocks and other gunk are not kicked up into the side of the car anymore saving the cars paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

Alpha, can you post full side view picture and front and rear end pix? I might get myself a set!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Did anyone try these splash guards? https://eibachshop.com/index.php?p43...-guards-l-size