BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Bimmercode Adventure

09-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

Bimmercode Adventure

Getting ready to "dip a toe" into the world of coding. I've downloaded the demo version of BimmerCode app (Android version) from the Play Store and ordered the Vgate iCar 2 Wi-Fi OBD2 Car Diagnostics Adapter from Amazon ($19.99 US plus shipping, no tax). I'm interested primarily in getting rid of the nag screen at engine startup, folding the mirrors automatically on locking the car, and possibly, disabling the rear hatch 'kick to close' feature that has become an annoying pain in the...head. Have any of you others ventured into this 'dark art' with your X1 yet? From what I've already read, I don't have to worry too much about bricking the car as long as I stay out of the Expert mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Be interested in hearing how you get on as might consider this if it?s idiot proof? Have had a go at coding with a mates guidance but seemed a real faff & when the car went in for an update, all the coding was lost.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I'll be trying it out pretty soon too. Mainly for the nag screen. Looks like a good product, limited features but easier to use than e-sys.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I have the app and the Vgate dongle. The first dongle I received was defective and never showed up in the WiFi section of my phone. The next one I ordered worked perfectly. You should note though that it takes a while for the phone to fully connect to the dongle once you select it in the WiFi srttings.

I had previously coded my car the old way. This way is a lot easier to understand and manage. However, my car recently had an update to the software which changed the location of the files. I was able to find most of the files and change what I needed but was not able to change the number of blinks for the blinker. I reached out to the app developer and after reviewing my log data he noticed the file location changes and said he would be updating the app soon. So far, he has been very responsive and helpful. The app and dongle are great, especially if you have milultiple bmw’s as I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep

The Vgate iCar Wi-Fi OBD adapter arrived in today's mail and I put it to work almost instantly...almost. So far the most difficult part has been paying to unlock (enable) the applications coding feature with Android Pay since that particular program hadn't been installed/enabled on my smartphone previously. After establishing a Wi-Fi connection between my phone and the adapter, then turning the cars ignition on (no need to start the engine), I launched the BimmerCode app. The BimmerCode app took less than a minute to perform a scan to catalogue the electronic control units present in my car.

It found seven: Front Electronic Module/Car Access System, Instrument Cluster, Headunit, Air Conditioning, Roof Function Center, Power Tailgate Module and lastly, Advanced Crash Safety Module.

I didn't get too crazy with changes this first time and only had two disappointments with changes that I wanted to make. I successfully coded the "Fold Mirrors When Locking With Comfort Access', 'Switch LED On Doors When In Reverse' and set the 'Legal Disclaimers' to 'Not Active". Two items that I was unsuccessful in changing were setting the turn signals to flash 5 times instead of 3 and to disable the closing of the rear hatch via the "kick method". A feature that I expected to see but didn't find was the Expert mode for this app. Possibly that option is available only on the IOS version.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ridin'Dirty; 09-27-2017 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Looks like an update for the iOS app was just pushed out.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep

Expert Mode (Android) Follow-up:

I emailed a support request to Stephan (the apps author) asking if the Expert Mode is available in the Android version of this app. His reply was that the Expert Mode "is not available in the Android version at the moment but will be available soon." No problem, I can wait. Meanwhile, it's back to exploring what all this app can do now to better fit my wants and needs for my ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Cool, thanks for the update. I use iOS so my experience is going to be a bit different. I'm gonna order it now.

I disabled the tailgate kick feature by unplugging the sensor (2 screws, 5 minutes). I don't need either kick to open or kick to close. All other ways of opening are working, no error codes or warning.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Cool, thanks for the update. I use iOS so my experience is going to be a bit different. I'm gonna order it now.

I disabled the tailgate kick feature by unplugging the sensor (2 screws, 5 minutes). I don't need either kick to open or kick to close. All other ways of opening are working, no error codes or warning.
I like the feature in general but now that I have a hitch install, I can’t trll you how many times the tailgate has started to open while I was installing the receiver or hooking chains.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
I disabled the tailgate kick feature by unplugging the sensor...
Messed around today in the Instrument Cluster module by coding "Digital Speed In Board Computer" to Active and "GPS Clock Synchro" to Active, although I'm not sure if that will have any effect since the car doesn't have navigation. When Stephan updates the Android version of this app to include Expert mode, I'll be attempting to disable the tailgate kick feature thru coding instead of disconnecting the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Just a fair notice to those coding. The latest firmware updated on my car has locked out changing the blinker intervals. Steve who makes the app, has updated coding files and the option now shows up but will not take the changes. I reached out to support and Steve said there is no current way to fix this.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Good to know. I was wondering why it was not working when I coded that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Just a fair notice to those coding. The latest firmware updated on my car has locked out changing the blinker intervals. Steve who makes the app, has updated coding files and the option now shows up but will not take the changes. I reached out to support and Steve said there is no current way to fix this.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 05:05 AM   #13
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Iirc, any car built after summer 2016 is stuck with 3 flashes only. Cars pre that can be coded to more.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
Iirc, any car built after summer 2016 is stuck with 3 flashes only. Cars pre that can be coded to more.
Annoyingly, this does seem to be the case

Managed to code 5 blinks on my 2014 M135i, but despite a number of attempts changing various parameters, cannot get anything other than 3 blinks on my July 2016 build X1
      10-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
My car was built late 2015 and a recent software update locked out the ability. I had previously coded the car with EYS and the blinker function was successfully changed to 3 times. So I don’t think it is specifically a build date but more so the firmware.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
schoettt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i x drive m sport

Anyone know how to make angel eyes not dim when turn signal is on?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #17
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoettt View Post
theres an option to make them 100%, that may help
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #18
MrTracey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive20i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoettt View Post
Why would you want to disable a safety feature like that?

The lights dim so that on-coming drivers can see your turn-signal is flashing. If the lights don't dim, they may obscure the visibility of the front turn signal.

Manufacturers moved the turn signal lamp into the headlamp cluster to reduce complexity & cost (i.e no separate turn light module) but it turned out to be a safety issue as the headlights obscured the turn signals.

...but it's your choice, I guess. Don't know if it's a legal requirement in the US - may be worth checking.
Vogit92.50
      10-26-2017, 03:53 AM   #19
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

The iCar wifi IBD dongle has just arrived!
I have both an iPhone and an Android.
Which version of the app should I use?
Which is cheaper?
Could I use the dongle and app with more than one cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #20
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

You can code more then 3 blinks in the newest firmware. Search my posts, they moved the value but it's there. My car was just at the dealer, has the most recent firmware and I successfully recoded it although I don't think you can do it through any app. I just use the cable and Esys. Maybe copy and paste the value and send it to the app author to make him aware? It is 100% possible though.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #21
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

So I got the thing. It looks pretty. It seems to be working. But the main reason I got it was to get rid off the nag screen.

I can't find it.

I thought it's supposed to be under the safety/crash module. All I got there is a seat belt warning.

Anyone else with a 2018 model (or latest firmware on older model)?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 03:14 AM   #22
DawnsKayBug
Registered
Rep
Drives: 16 X1CPO

I just did my 2017 and removed the warning. It’s there somewhere
Appreciate 0