BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Check engine light appeared for a couple of days and disappeared...

08-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
initialM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Check engine light appeared for a couple of days and disappeared...

Hello folks. Has anyone experienced their F48 check engine light that appeared for a couple of days and then disappeared on its own? I almost took it to the dealer and of course it disappeared in the morning of. I did some search and what I found is that the engine might've had some misfire at some point during start up. If that was it, does it self-adjust and thus the light went away?
Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then download this https://www.obdautodoctor.com
      08-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

It happened to me as well, upon startup the check engine light was on for like 10-15 seconds and then it disappeared. Never showed up again. What could it be?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
initialM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Took the car to the dealer to get it diagnosed. They determined the cause was a faulty tank vent valve that was permanently stuck and malfunctioned. The tank vent valve and pressure sensor venturi nozzle were replaced. Hopefully I won't see another CEL for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #5
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
It happened to me as well, upon startup the check engine light was on for like 10-15 seconds and then it disappeared. Never showed up again. What could it be?
Same thing. The light was up for few seconds after startup. But never appeared again. Is this serious?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
initialM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
Same thing. The light was up for few seconds after startup. But never appeared again. Is this serious?
It's probably not good for your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:05 AM   #7
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Best to send it in. This check light is very vague. Mine came up one morning and I decided to send it in for a check. Was on until I reached the dealer. When the service guy re-started the car, the engine light didn't come on. He said maybe just continue to drive and monitor (without plugging it into a computer).

Since I was already there, I told him that I'll leave it there overnight and let them check. They called me later in the afternoon and said the thermal management module is faulty and needs to be replaced. They also drained and refilled the coolant and did a pressure/leak test.

I'm glad I sent it in because I wouldn't want my engine to have any unnecessary heat damage. So yes, may be serious.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #8
link_sy
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialM View Post
Took the car to the dealer to get it diagnosed. They determined the cause was a faulty tank vent valve that was permanently stuck and malfunctioned. The tank vent valve and pressure sensor venturi nozzle were replaced. Hopefully I won't see another CEL for a very long time.
I'm having the same problem and the guy says I need to replace the

Heat management module and the coolant pump with support.

Did you replace both?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #9
initialM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by link_sy View Post
Quote:

Did you replace both?
I'm not sure about the "Heat management module and the coolant pump with support."

Only the parts I stated previously were replaced according to the work order receipt from dealership.

Hopefully you'll resolve the issue. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #10
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you replace both?
I'm not sure about the "Heat management module and the coolant pump with support."

Only the parts I stated previously were replaced according to the work order receipt from dealership.

Hi

Do you have the part numbers for both? They may be on the receipt?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #11
Patvictoria
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 X1 Xdrive28i M Sport

CEL light on

Quote:
I have the same kind of problem as you. The check engine light on/off couple of days then solid on with error code from my OBD reader P0446- Evaporative Emission system Vent control circuit pending.
I bring my car to dealer and they fixed the problem by replacing -Tank ventilation vent valve and Venturi nozzle. The problem never come back for couple of month.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #12
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

The ODBII computer will automatically depending on the severity, remove any warning lights or messages after a few days. However this doesn't mean that the code has gone away. It's still in memory and you should always have the codes verified by a technician especially if the vehicle is still under warranty as any work and parts would be covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #13
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Did you replace both?

Hi

Do you have the part numbers for both? They may be on the receipt?

Thanks
Got mine fixed last week. Did a swap of the heat management module and problem seems to have disappeared. Pressure tested after installation and after about 2.5 bottles of coolant, things seems to be back to normal. Here's hoping I won't have to deal with this again.
Appreciate 0