09-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #23
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidchrome View Post
adding to Knightarmor's guide.
I'm adding some more detailed info/pics.

This was one of the more painful cabin air filter replacement's I've done.
Why they put it in such an obscure place with no space to even open the door/flap completely is beyond me.
I come from japanese cars and they are literally one or two screws/clips from accessing the cabin filter.
This 2016 X1 is my first german car just learning their engineering design...

Here goes:

Tools you need:
1x 8mm socket/ratchet
1x T2 driver

You're gonna take off this rectangular cover with a 12v outlet held by an 8mm nut on each side.

Then it should easily fall out from the two tabs in the back

Remove all connectors and 12v harness clip.

Remove the T2 screw holding the side kick panel.

I removed the foot vent piping as well to get more space back there.
If you can wiggle your way without it... good luck.
This also requires removing the hidden T2 screw:

Then follow the piping up the back and pull it out from the connection.
No pic cuz it's impossible to get back up there. Just feel for it and it should pop out easily.

Open the cabin filter door clip

Remove the filters and take note of the air flow direction:

Once you pull the first one out, second one needs to be lift up and pulled out by the small flap on the filter.

Put new filters in the same air flow direction.
Mine look mangled because I had to shove it in the small door opening that BMW decided to cram in that space.

Put back panels/vents the backwards order you pulled them.

Total time spent: ~30min.
Very thorough and helpful pics. Tip for next time. That door flap covering the filters comes off. If you push the flap upwards it'll come off the hinges. Gives a lot more working room. Struggled the first time with the door on and was afraid I would snap something. The second time I discovered it comes off and goes back on pretty easily.
Appreciate 2
      06-06-2020, 09:07 PM   #24
Ocdunome48
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidchrome View Post
adding to Knightarmor's guide.
I'm adding some more detailed info/pics.

This was one of the more painful cabin air filter replacement's I've done.
Why they put it in such an obscure place with no space to even open the door/flap completely is beyond me.
I come from japanese cars and they are literally one or two screws/clips from accessing the cabin filter.
This 2016 X1 is my first german car just learning their engineering design...

Here goes:
Huge help. Thanks for the pics and required tools list. I needed an 8mm deep socket to remove the nuts. Upon removing the old filter pair, I discovered that each faced different directions for air flow from the previous installer. I installed the new ones so that both pointed air flow in the same direction. Reinstalling the upper filter took some patience and a lot of bending to get it fitted. I’m still not sure it’s seated correctly; there’s no way to tell visually. Anyway thanks for the great info.
Appreciate 1
HP170.00
      09-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #25
ajg1960
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i; 2018 X1

Angry Most difficult cabin air filter times 1000

I just changed the cabin air filter today on my 2018 X1. Wow— what a ridiculous joke of engineering. My daughters Mazda— open the glove box, open a small door in the back of the glovebox, snap open a cover behind that, pull out the filter, push in a new one, snap the cover back, close the glove box. 2 minutes if you are slow. BMW— spend an hour searching through YouTube videos to figure out where the filter even is, most of which say it’s under the hood; which it’s not (maybe in an earlier model). Finally figure out its under the dash, get out a bunch of tools, remove a ton of crap, finally find it in an inaccessible place, unless you’re a gymnast, behind a door that doesn’t open all the way. Fight getting the 2 of them out, new ones back in, start screwing all the freaking trim back. 2 fingers on my right hand are bandaged, I have scrapes on my elbow, and the neighbors kids probably went home with some good stories about what the crazy old man down the street was yelling. My wife’s 2017 330i— not as bad but still not great. No wonder the Germans lost the war.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1960 View Post
I just changed the cabin air filter today on my 2018 X1. Wow— what a ridiculous joke of engineering. My daughters Mazda— open the glove box, open a small door in the back of the glovebox, snap open a cover behind that, pull out the filter, push in a new one, snap the cover back, close the glove box. 2 minutes if you are slow. BMW— spend an hour searching through YouTube videos to figure out where the filter even is, most of which say it’s under the hood; which it’s not (maybe in an earlier model). Finally figure out its under the dash, get out a bunch of tools, remove a ton of crap, finally find it in an inaccessible place, unless you’re a gymnast, behind a door that doesn’t open all the way. Fight getting the 2 of them out, new ones back in, start screwing all the freaking trim back. 2 fingers on my right hand are bandaged, I have scrapes on my elbow, and the neighbors kids probably went home with some good stories about what the crazy old man down the street was yelling. My wife’s 2017 330i— not as bad but still not great. No wonder the Germans lost the war.
Let's be honest, these people are way too smart to be that stupid. They know exactly what they're doing: keeping money flowing through dealerships. Took me hours just to figure out how to reset the oil change light
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #27
shangguan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg1960 View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #28
shangguan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

when putting the top filter back in, squeeze one side a little bit, which helps the upper filter get into place.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 12:25 AM   #29
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Hey guys,

Did someone ever install one of these PureFlow Cabin Filters? https://www.amazon.com/-/en/PureFlow.../dp/B07N1HKGVQ

They are supposed to have better filtration capabilities with 4 layers than regular BMW cabin filters (part 64316835405 or 64316835406, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_2384).
      06-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #30
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hey guys,

Did someone ever install one of these PureFlow Cabin Filters? https://www.amazon.com/-/en/PureFlow.../dp/B07N1HKGVQ

They are supposed to have better filtration capabilities with 4 layers than regular BMW cabin filters (part 64316835405 or 64316835406, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_2384).
There's no discernable difference to me between the PureFlow vs OEM. The PureFlows did their job - no odd smells and maintained good circulation.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #31
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Thanks!

I'm going to try them out. I'm having that nasty smell coming out from vents, so I'm going to clean the evaporator and the air vents in conjunction with a new pair of filters.

I read your experience here: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1625437, and I'm going to do pretty much the same =).

I couldn't find the Klima Cleaner from nextzett, but I found one from Liqui Moly (https://products.liqui-moly.com/a-c-...r-spray-1.html).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
There's no discernable difference to me between the PureFlow vs OEM. The PureFlows did their job - no odd smells and maintained good circulation.
      06-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #32
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Thanks!

I'm going to try them out. I'm having that nasty smell coming out from vents, so I'm going to clean the evaporator and the air vents in conjunction with a new pair of filters.

I read your experience here: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1625437, and I'm going to do pretty much the same =).

I couldn't find the Klima Cleaner from nextzett, but I found one from Liqui Moly (https://products.liqui-moly.com/a-c-...r-spray-1.html).
One additional tip I have is to peek under the car after spraying some of the product to ensure fluid comes out of the drain tube located in the center area between the wheels. Don't want to end up finding out you have a clogged tube the hard way.

Glad to report the musky smell has not returned for almost 2 years now.

Good luck with your project.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #33
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Thanks for all the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
One additional tip I have is to peek under the car after spraying some of the product to ensure fluid comes out of the drain tube located in the center area between the wheels. Don't want to end up finding out you have a clogged tube the hard way.

Glad to report the musky smell has not returned for almost 2 years now.

Good luck with your project.
      10-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #34
Bimmerius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30

awesome thread!
prob wouldn't have managed to change the cabin filters without this thread
but what a major pita this was!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #35
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
Here you go, this will help you out:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ter/1VnYDCQNdp
Link is dead now...but here's the archived info:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 04:18 PM   #36
initialM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Hello. I did my cabin filter change recently and it was a pain in the butt. I don't see the design purpose behind it besides swaying owners to dealership like some had mentioned. This would've been a one minute job on my Lexus RX. Anyhow, I thought I share my findings about the cabin filter itself. I found that the HENGST brand to be more sturdy as it has plastic side walls to support, especially when pushing the filter into the housing box in the tiny space that you have. The filter that a dealership put in my car under the warranty was the MANN brand which felt flimsy with no side support. My filter looks filthy after 17k miles and I drive my F10 in same area and the cabin filter didn't look nearly as filthy after 30k miles which makes me wonder if the dealer actually replaced it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0