BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

03-30-2024, 07:35 PM   #67
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Software on mine is v5.5.4.4, charging a MY22 iX50. Has worked for a couple of years without any issues, NEMA 14-50 plug, 40A. Spouse's MY23 iX M60 is on a CP Home Flex hardwired, 48A, v5.5.4.4 also, charging for about a year without issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:26 PM   #68
ok31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

Thanks all. Going to take a break as I feel defeated on this. Hopefully will get some more info during the week and will post.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:54 PM   #69
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

NEMA 14-50
40A breaker, running 32A continuous.
Working perfectly for about 3.5 years now.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 03:27 PM   #70
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Downgraded to 5.5.3.13 and still issue persists. It just seems like a car and charger issue but car was ruled out by ability to charge everywhere including on charger and charger has been slightly ruled out at least the original because jeep was charged. Haven’t had a chance to use in the replacement in another car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:07 PM   #71
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Plot thickens - had an X5 phev try earlier today and it took the charge on the ChargePoint. Mine, still nothing. It’s almost like there is some location based issue with my car and charger specifically. It works just fine with the base trickle charge.

Something is definitely stuck in the code that is not allowing them to talk. Proposed a whole multitude of options to the dealer for how to help me. Considering getting another brand charger to test at home which will prove I’m not sure what.

Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 05:26 PM   #72
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Have you tried to let the iX stay plugged in for 24 hours? I'm curious if it ever starts charging after a certain time slot.
      04-06-2024, 06:26 PM   #73
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok31 View Post
Plot thickens - had an X5 phev try earlier today and it took the charge on the ChargePoint. Mine, still nothing. It’s almost like there is some location based issue with my car and charger specifically. It works just fine with the base trickle charge.

Something is definitely stuck in the code that is not allowing them to talk. Proposed a whole multitude of options to the dealer for how to help me. Considering getting another brand charger to test at home which will prove I’m not sure what.

Any other ideas?
Really think you should ask your service dept to reload the most current firmware on your iX.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 06:46 PM   #74
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Have you tried to let the iX stay plugged in for 24 hours? I'm curious if it ever starts charging after a certain time slot.
Yes originally when this started and I noticed it was in for like a day if not more.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 06:48 PM   #75
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Really think you should ask your service dept to reload the most current firmware on your iX.
I’m working all angles but why is it just this one charger at this location being my house lol. The bmw works and chargepoint works elsewhere.

My fear is going somewhere and running into same issue so I def need to have this figured out. Thankfully I don’t use it as a daily driver and have luxury to wait a week for the IV drip
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:07 AM   #76
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m working all angles but why is it just this one charger at this location being my house lol. The bmw works and chargepoint works elsewhere.

My fear is going somewhere and running into same issue so I def need to have this figured out. Thankfully I don’t use it as a daily driver and have luxury to wait a week for the IV drip
Because IF you do not have some setting turned on for ‘Location services’ that is causing the issue, then perhaps there is something within the current firmware that is corrupted.

Getting the most current firmware loaded in the car would be #1 on my list, tbh.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:56 AM   #77
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

I can run the idea by the shop. I think one of my challenges is proving to everyone it’s not a wiring issue at home which I know it’s not. The next thing is proving to the dealer the issue isn’t with my charger but it’s hard to do when it charges literally everywhere including at home, albeit on the trickle charger so how do I explain that?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 12:24 PM   #78
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

For sample size I just also had an Audi e-tron try and that worked too. I’m going to push dealer to take charger and car and see if issue happens in their shop because if not then we can without a doubt confirm it’s a software fault between the two, I also charged mine on the E-trin charger without issue.

Last edited by ok31; 04-07-2024 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 05:08 PM   #79
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For sample size I just also had an Audi e-tron try and that worked too. I’m going to push dealer to take charger and car and see if issue happens in their shop because if not then we can without a doubt confirm it’s a software fault between the two, I also charged mine on the E-trin charger without issue.
There is pretty obviously nothing wrong with your CP Flex charger; it charges everything else except your vehicle.

Your iX will accept a L2 charge except at your home. To me, that means the most obvious issue is one based on ‘Charging Location’ being either corrupted or incorrectly programmed in your car.

The only way to ensure that it isn’t a software issue in the iX causing the problem, is to have the latest software downloaded to your car; reset anything and then attempt to charge at home.

Taking your CP Flex to the dealership is just going to prolong and confuse the issue.

PS: talk to your Service Advisor and ask them if you can take an iX service loaner to your house to see if it charges. If it does; the issue is localised to your specific iX.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:01 PM   #80
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There is pretty obviously nothing wrong with your CP Flex charger; it charges everything else except your vehicle.

Your iX will accept a L2 charge except at your home. To me, that means the most obvious issue is one based on ‘Charging Location’ being either corrupted or incorrectly programmed in your car.

The only way to ensure that it isn’t a software issue in the iX causing the problem, is to have the latest software downloaded to your car; reset anything and then attempt to charge at home.

Taking your CP Flex to the dealership is just going to prolong and confuse the issue.

PS: talk to your Service Advisor and ask them if you can take an iX service loaner to your house to see if it charges. If it does; the issue is localised to your specific iX.
So corrupt location setting doesn’t make sense because basic trickle charger provided with bmw works at my house. It’s something at the moment looking to be CP and my car. Yes, I asked if they can loan me an ox or have someone from sales come out to test it out to rule out the car or house. My suspicion is something is definitely corrupt as it relates to the CP at my house, like the car says this location with a CPnwont work. Remember, this is not the original CP and same story as original.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 08:04 PM   #81
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
So corrupt location setting doesn’t make sense because basic trickle charger provided with bmw works at my house. It’s something at the moment looking to be CP and my car. Yes, I asked if they can loan me an ox or have someone from sales come out to test it out to rule out the car or house. My suspicion is something is definitely corrupt as it relates to the CP at my house, like the car says this location with a CPnwont work. Remember, this is not the original CP and same story as original.
You could try a nuclear option… remove your ID and reset the car to factory default. That would clear any possible location or car setting in the way.
      04-08-2024, 03:50 AM   #82
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxxviii View Post
You could try a nuclear option… remove your ID and reset the car to factory default. That would clear any possible location or car setting in the way.
Yup just did that still NOTHING. It just keeps getting interrupted and it’s not pulling any kW
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 03:46 PM   #83
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Dealer is saying not the car, if it works elsewhere, gotta be the charger. Exactly the issue I was worried about getting to. Safe to say it’s this specific VIN being blacklisted from charging on level 2 at my house with chargepoint which makes no sense. Going to order a juice box and see how/if that works. Going to talk to dealer foreman tomorrow hopefully and maybe brainstorm with him on logic. Clearly everyone is missing something possibly very evident but hindsight is 20/20
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 11:45 AM   #84
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Spoke with shop foreman, he agrees it’s definitely something with the car and thinks because the CCU is doing a lot of checks, it may be erring out so thinks software update. One detail that I never considered is they did the plug and go update around the time this stopped working. Will update more as I have info. Definitely a very unique issue but concern is what if it acts up elsewhere. Possible some voltage drops or fluctuations that are benign but somehow being picked up as something negative. Kind of makes sense because it’s a hardwired line so any fluctuation can be reflected.

Update: swapped out for a loaner ox plugged in and works like a charm. Difference? This one doesn’t have plug and go installed yet. Car is at dealer getting a flash to latest then will test. Depending on outcome, finger may point to plug and go incompatibility?

Last edited by ok31; 04-10-2024 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 06:38 AM   #85
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

Interestingly this thread seems to resonate a lot with what I have going on https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...6#post31079516

My status update is since the loaner iX worked, they were trying to update it to the same version as mine and give it back but it was then loaned out. Their next step is to swap out my CCU and hope for the best which may or may not solve it if the culprit is in fact the plug and charge unless that function screwed up the CCU. What makes absolutely no sense is WHY just my home level 2 charger? It’s as if that connection was made to be bad and denies making a handshake.

With the above thread I’m getting more confidence this is likely to be a BMW software issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 08:29 AM   #86
ok31
Private First Class
Rep

In process of getting BMW to review and approve a CCU update. The shop finally was able to see a fault code pointing to CCU. Spoke with foreman and he explained this has to be reviewed and approved by BMW Germany. In the meantime riding an X7 M60 so not mad about time it’s taking for the CCU.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2482.50
      04-25-2024, 08:54 AM   #87
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
The shop finally was able to see a fault code pointing to CCU.
At least it is heading towards the right direction now!
Thanks for keeping us posted!

I am just concerned it took this long for them to see/find the fault codes considering how easily you could reproduce the issue with your setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 09:02 AM   #88
Toastmaster
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix

Agreed, appreciate the update, I'm also in the same boat (can't charge at home only). The service manager of my local dealer is coming to my house today to do further investigation after I took it in and they couldn't find any codes. Were they not able to see codes previously?
Appreciate 0