BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) b47 coolant temp question

01-03-2024, 01:19 AM   #1
radumalica
Registered
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 B47 sDrive18d

Question b47 coolant temp question

Hi all,

Since cold weather started (-3C during evening, 7-8C day) my b47 x1 temp gauge remains at 25% of the bar, 50% being in the middle where it should stay.

Note that it is not fluctuating a lot, maybe just as wide as a hairpin left/right depending on traffic or if driving with speed. Sitting too much in traffic doesn't move the bar to middle, just a little bit over the "normal" position of 25%.

During summer i had no issues, it would go to middle after some time. There are no leaks, i have heat inside immediately (5-7mins) after i start the car.

I am suspecting the coolant temp sensor, as if thermostat would be stuck open, the temp would drop a lot during speeding, which it doesn't. It just stays at 25%, says OK on the screen, and moves maybe 1mm-2mm to left or right depending on traffic. When sitting a lot in traffic it doesn't go to middle, but let's say the gauge would move from 25% to 30%. The fins in the grill are closed, i checked.

I also put my hand on the hose running from the thermostat to the radiator when temp sits at 25%, and it's NOT hot, it's a little bit warm, but definitely cooler then the other hoses (so not appearing to be stuck open)

I do have an original t-stat bought, but the weather is not so friendly to do the job now, as if i go in there i am planning to replace also the engine pulley and belt.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 09:11 PM   #2
victorngcm
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F48

Diesel car temperature rise slower then petrol engine
Appreciate 0