X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) ConnectedDrive

09-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
AWJDThumper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

ConnectedDrive

The above wasn't explained to me when I bought my 2019 X1 but today I got some in-car BMW messages saying some of the ConnectedDrive services, such as map updates, had expired.

However, after I registered my car on MyBMW, it says my ConnectedDrive services have an 'unlimited subscription period'.

I would be grateful if someone could explain the apparent discrepancy between what the car appears to be telling me and what MyBMW is telling me?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 02:42 PM   #2
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Connected Drive comes with some basic services like the app that are subscription free but other features like map updates, real time travel info etc are paid for features
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 12:40 AM   #3
AWJDThumper
Rep

My X1 was just over 3 years old when I bought it back in March and assume the BMW messages about expired services had been displayed for some time - I simply had not noticed them?

Until recently, I must have been getting RTTI information which I assume was what was showing warning information on the Nav screen as well as offering alternative routes?

I might well not be getting map updates now but, if I am still getting RTTI information, I'm not sure whether any of the other services on offer would be worth paying for?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

Our X1 is just 3 years old now. BMW have recently repackaged some of the services to make them annoyingly less consumable (in my opinion). Map updates are included for the first 3 years of ownership but then expire unless renewed thereafter annually (which your previous owner may have done). RTTI was similar but is now not possible to buy individually - it is now part of "Connected Booster" package; all the other bits of that package are irrelevant to us. If I wanted to renew map updates (we actually find the BMW nav pretty good) and RTTI (which in our experience works well) it would cost £69 + £79 perannum. Fortunately we spec'd the car with Apple CarPlay so will be using Google Maps through that instead. Not quite as good in our opinion (especially as it doesn't use full screen display) but free. Suggest you login to Connected Drive on web which tells you the status of all the various packages and what is available for your car - read all the details and work out what you would/would not value.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:43 AM   #5
AWJDThumper
Rep

Thanks for that - it's all starting to make sense. From what I understand now, it looks as though I would need to pay £69 per year for the Connected Package to get RTTI and to pay another £79 per year for the Map Update Package. I don't do a great mileage in my X1 and I guess I will need to decide whether either package is really necessary?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 04:38 AM   #6
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

That is exactly the same position as us. For the time being I have decided not to renew RTTI and map updates. The existing maps will still work. Also, if you don't have CarPlay (a chargeable option at build time which can't be retrofitted by BMW, although there may be 3rd party solutions), you can use Google maps on your phone (use a simple dash, windscreen or air vent mount) and get the spoken directions to play through the car's audio system. I use this method very successfully in my other car and have tested it in the X1 - it works.

If that doesn't work for you (assuming your phone is linked by Bluetooth to your car), go to Google Maps on your phone, make sure you are logged in to your Google account, press the little round button at the right end of the search bar, scroll down to "Settings", then "Navigation", make sure "Mute State" is Unmuted, "Guidance Volume" is Normal, "Play voice over Bluetooth" is On and "Play as Bluetooth phone call" is On. That should work. Test it by setting a simple Google maps navigation going with your ignition on. Once you press "Start", the Google maps directions should come through your audio. You can adjust the volume on the car audio volume control but only when Google is speaking (you have to be fast!). Once set, it stays as last set unless you adjust it again. Takes a few mins to get it right, but works well. I know lots of people who don't have CarPlay and use this method successfully. Of course you can have the BMW maps up on the central screen at the same time as a useful reference, even if you aren't using the BMW nav to route you.

Last edited by BrianJ; 09-30-2022 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0