E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why not SA delivery?

06-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Why not SA delivery?

Just a thought: Euro delivery is great, I would never buy a BMW any other way, except maybe if they offered a South African delivery plan with equal or better financial incentives.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
svengali
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530i invisible

That might be cool. However, the ED is partly because the guys behind the company want you to experience their country behind the company and the car. SA really has nothing to do with the history of BMW in that sense.

I guess the stats show you would get a better made product though.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by svengali
That might be cool. However, the ED is partly because the guys behind the company want you to experience their country behind the company and the car. SA really has nothing to do with the history of BMW in that sense.

I guess the stats show you would get a better made product though.
Yes. But it would be cool to travel around South Africa in a brand new BMW. Only problem is that they drive on the wrong side of the road in SA. It's a problem making turns at intersections for drivers like us. If not for a really talented Irish driver with great accident avoidance skills I would probably be dead now after turning down the wrong side of a split highway near Limerick. I decided it wasn't worth driving on the wrong side if I was only going to be in a country a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
svengali
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530i invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos
Yes. But it would be cool to travel around South Africa in a brand new BMW.
I agree Athos. However, it does'nt erase the fact that the country is not behind part of what the history of the car stands for, and where it came from. That's just my take.

Personally, I WOULD rather drive around in Africa than in Germany, etc... I just prefer that topography/geography. From what I have seen of Germany, etc... I can get that right here in California, as far as what you see. Not the culture, of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

is south africa still kinda a rough area to be in?

I'm not sure I'd want to go there,
Plus BMW probably hasn't/won't invest the money for a delivery center there
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 12:20 AM   #6
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

do south africa delivery with an african brand. BMW...if u do not know yet...it's actually a German brand that's why you go to Germany to pick it up. And experience their country, culture, and people.
      06-21-2005, 01:14 AM   #7
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic
do south africa delivery with an african brand. BMW...if u do not know yet...it's actually a German brand that's why you go to Germany to pick it up. And experience their country, culture, and people.
I'm probably going to do an ED. However, the part of the German culture I'm most interested in is the autobahn. I'll pass on the sauer braten. Last time I was in Munich I got a lecture from a cab driver about how he was so upset when he came to the US and ate at one of those Der Weinerschnitzel restaurants. He said it should be "Das" not "Der" and besides it tasted nothing like a schnitzel.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 03:59 AM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:

If there was a market for it, BMW most likely would invest the money for a new delivery center. Every BMW dealership I've seen is remodeling their showrooms this year, some even did it only a year or two back.

I don't think people would take SA delivery though.
Firstly, we drive on the left side of the road...it would prove very difficult in a left hand drive car.
Secondly, we have terrible traffic cops, with lots of speed limits and speed traps...
Thirdly, some of our roads aren't condusive to high speed driving...with any luck...international drivers would chose the worst roads to drive on, and then tell everyone how bad SA roads are (which they aren't) and the program would fail

Also, BMW here likes to charge us MANY pretty pennies for our cars...how could they charge you guys less than USA price...and still expect us to fork out full price

South Africa is a 15 hour (18 return) trip from New York. It would also take your car a long time to return home...making the idea not feasible really.

We also have a "performance center" but they don't deliver cars. When you buy a new car, you can negotiate a day there for free, or simply call and just pay for your own course(ranges from $100-$1000). It's at kayalami race track and courses include everything from defensive driving, to collision avoidance on the skid pan to driving around the track for the day with an instructor teaching you high speed manouvers. You obviously drive their cars (all 330i's/M3's) and it's great fun...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

It has been Ilegal to register a new Left Hand Drive car on our roads for a couple years, so the law wont allow the new car to be driven on our roads
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 11:24 AM   #10
arnie
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d auto

bmw in south africa

hi,3 series bmw's are built in sa and exported to europe, uk and australia, wakeup please.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2005, 11:30 AM   #11
arnie
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d auto

Exclamation

Quote:

What is rough to you anyway?

FWIW BMW SA got the award for the highest quality 3 series produced in the world.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #12
Gerusarus
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 323i Ex individual

.....South Africa will be exporting the E90 to Japan and USA shortly...
Appreciate 0