ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #89
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
I've had tuned 335s as daily drivers for the better part of 7 years. They do not hold a candle to the M3. The S55 feels totally different. It makes power differently. It sounds better. The rest of the car is in another universe when it comes to dynamics and handling. I wouldn't go back if you paid me.
      10-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #90
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Another option might be the Alpina B4. Very nice cruiser, very fast, not really a track car.

But no matter what they did to it, it doesn't handle like an M4.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #91
Trakrzy
Waiting for the Point By
Canada
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
I've had tuned 335s as daily drivers for the better part of 7 years. They do not hold a candle to the M3. The S55 feels totally different. It makes power differently. It sounds better. The rest of the car is in another universe when it comes to dynamics and handling. I wouldn't go back if you paid me.
This. I have had several 335s and just tried the new M4 this weekend.
Whole different ballgame. Sounds WAY better but that's subjective. I was actually worried with all the naysayers but driving this weekend totally impressed me. I need one.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #92
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is an excellent video on the Drive+ YouTube channel (unfortunately $3.99/mo., but I watched it using a 2 week free trial) that shows all the changes they made to the suspension of the M3/4 vs. a normal 3/4-series.

If you try to tune a -35i, it will end up costing you much more and you still won't have as cohesive of a product.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #93
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
I haven't logged in awhile, but I love my M4. I just cleared 2000 miles. I love the torque, it moves through traffic like no tomorrow, it's planted and feels solid through turns, and I rarely have to floor it to make it go (and when I do it flies). I had a 2012 E92 M3. I loved the car. I would turn it one and the V8 would sound great, however, it wasn't fast enough and lacked torque in my opinion and you really have to rev it out to get it moving. I love the M4, and I plan on keeping this one for awhile and tweaking it along the way (possibly Dinan stage 2, wider tires on the back to put the power down, etc.) My next purchase will be a Cayman GT4 (or whatever they call it) or something like a Carrera GTS or GT3. For me that will be the next step until the new generation replacing my F82 comes out. I will always have an M4 in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #94
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard View Post
Why not?

I haven't driven an M4 yet ( my dealership hasn't gotten one yet) so I pardon me if I'm wrong in thinking that in the real world a 335i with an aftermarket exhaust and tune will keep up with an m4
Honestly it's your descision. But in no way or form expect a tuned modern day N55 335/435 tuned to keep up with an S55. Let me know when someone hacks the Bosch computer and gains monster hp like in the N54 days. Car has been out since 2012 and I'm still waiting....Those days are long gone.

A modest piggy back jb4, down pipe, on your 335/435 and you'll still be seeing plenty of M3/4 tail lights...

Just get an M sport 435i with M performance goodies and enjoy for what it is. I mean are you really worried about beating or keeping up with M4's?
      10-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #95
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Honestly it's your descision. But in no way or form expect a tuned modern day N55 335/435 tuned to keep up with an S55. Let me know when someone hacks the Bosch computer and gains monster hp like in the N54 days. Car has been out since 2012 and I'm still waiting....Those days are long gone.

A modest piggy back jb4, down pipe, on your 335/435 and you'll still be seeing plenty of M3/4 tail lights...

Just get an M sport 435i with M performance goodies and enjoy for what it is. I mean are you really worried about beating or keeping up with M4's?
I've been silently reading all your replies, thanks a lot guys! keep em coming.

It has nothing to do about beating or keeping up with M4's, the full story here is that shortly after acquiring my 428i GC I got a new job with much better pay. I've always wanted to feel what driving an M car would be like so I thought it's now or never and started looking into an M4. Upon thinking it a bit further and not rushing into any decisions I started to question myself if I really NEED one, you know.

I'm still looking around, still checking things off of my list. I'm thinking of test driving a 911 as well, to see what all the fuss is about. I'll keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #96
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard View Post
I've been silently reading all your replies, thanks a lot guys! keep em coming.

It has nothing to do about beating or keeping up with M4's, the full story here is that shortly after acquiring my 428i GC I got a new job with much better pay. I've always wanted to feel what driving an M car would be like so I thought it's now or never and started looking into an M4. Upon thinking it a bit further and not rushing into any decisions I started to question myself if I really NEED one, you know.

I'm still looking around, still checking things off of my list. I'm thinking of test driving a 911 as well, to see what all the fuss is about. I'll keep you updated.
Oh man that Porche bug is about to bite . I drove a 981 cayman s and I still wish I can pick one up. But its too damn expensive for a car that I cant enjoy everyday. I too want an M though for my next car. I gotta scratch it off the bucket list.

It seems like youre not too worried about the fastest possible 3/4 series out there. I would just get a 435 M sport with all the M performance stuff and I bet its fast enough for you. I saw a 435i m sport at my dealership on Wednesday with the carbon lip, and carbon diffuser oh maaaaan Im a huge fan of the F series cars. You cant go wrong. Or wait it out for LCI I believe the 435i will become a 440i with a new B58 motor and more HP.

But hey cheers on the pay raise thats always a good thing. And I mean at the end of the day if you can swing an M3/4 do itttttttt.
      10-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #97
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

You need to find an M3/M4 and drive it, period, and don't buy anything until you have...apologize that this may be wordy and long:

I have a 9 year old 4Runner that I have been thinking about replacing...3 kids and all the accouterment that comes with them and need to shuttle them around 2-4 times a week. Looking for something with a bit more pizazz to get them around in and have been checking out cars for about the past 2 years. Started thinking Audi S4/S6 or SQ5 (liked the look of the Q5).

Then Porsche came out with the Macan and figured I'd look into that. Very solid build, handles great, relatively speedy but no emotion - very quiet inside, you can step on it, but never gives you the feeling that you're accelerating or going fast (85 feels like 40). Learned everything I could about them and have visited numerous dealers checking them out and have gone on 3 test drives. Had a turbo version and a normal 'S' version specced out on the website and depending on what I was given for my trade that would determine which Macan I ordered. P-car optioning is a bit ridiculous though - want vents in the back seat instead of a black hole in the console - $500. Want a Nav unit that doesn't work (problems with them randomly rebooting 8 or 9 times in a row, working for 3 days then doing the same) - $3K...etc. So it is easy to get a modest number of options and suddenly your MSRP is 50-75% of the car's price. Whatever...I'm getting one.

Then I figured I've never even looked at BMW in my search, and wasn't interested really, mind was made up. Have driven newer 328 and 528 before then my friend's 07 335is manual and that is a great car - speedy, great transmission, great road feel. So went to dealer near me and drove a 435i M-sport Manual. MSRP $61,200. After the drive I was disappointed. Electric steering was horrible, no feel at all, reminded me of my dad's early 90's mazda 929. Transmission was also awful - rubbery, distant, no feel. Car was quiet, did have nice pickup though. Anyway, blah - clear decision for me. Porsche it is.

2 weeks later I was able to drive an M3 DCT - it definitely has some personality. Steering WAY WAY better than the 435i, Liked the firmer ride as well. Wasn't familiar with DCT (never drove one) so was more concerned about how to use it than the experience. Was an impressive car, unfortunately the test drive was in stop and go traffic. There is NO COMPARISON between the 435i M-sport and the M3 and how they drive and feedback they give (M3 still a bit numb compared to the 335is, but on par with the Macan electric steering). The following weekend I was able to drive a manual M3 on a road without traffic, and then a Macan within 30 mins of the M3 drive. Got a great comparison that day, and M3 6MT is way better than the 435i Msport.

So...I now have a deposit on an M3 order, despite essentially being committed--mind, body and soul--to getting a Macan. The M3 price is still 10K cheaper than the Macan (without my trade even)...You need to drive this car, and you will know.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 10-10-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #98
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
You need to find an M3/M4 and drive it, period, and don't buy anything until you have...apologize that this may be wordy and long:

I have a 9 year old 4Runner that I have been thinking about replacing...3 kids and all the accouterment that comes with them and need to shuttle them around 2-4 times a week. Looking for something with a bit more pizazz to get them around in and have been checking out cars for about the past 2 years. Started thinking Audi S4/S6 or SQ5 (liked the look of the Q5).

Then Porsche came out with the Macan and figured I'd look into that. Very solid build, handles great, relatively speedy but no emotion - very quiet inside, you can step on it, but never gives you the feeling that you're accelerating or going fast (85 feels like 40). Learned everything I could about them and have visited numerous dealers checking them out and have gone on 3 test drives. Had a turbo version and a normal 'S' version specced out on the website and depending on what I was given for my trade that would determine which Macan I ordered. P-car optioning is a bit ridiculous though - want vents in the back seat instead of a black hole in the console - $500. Want a Nav unit that doesn't work (problems with them randomly rebooting 8 or 9 times in a row, working for 3 days then doing the same) - $3K...etc. So it is easy to get a modest number of options and suddenly your MSRP is 50-75% of the car's price. Whatever...I'm getting one.

Then I figured I've never even looked at BMW in my search, and wasn't interested really, mind was made up. Have driven newer 328 and 528 before then my friend's 07 335is manual and that is a great car - speedy, great transmission, great road feel. So went to dealer near me and drove a 435i M-sport Manual. MSRP $61,200. After the drive I was disappointed. Electric steering was horrible, no feel at all, reminded me of my dad's early 90's mazda 929. Transmission was also awful - rubbery, distant, no feel. Car was quiet, did have nice pickup though. Anyway, blah - clear decision for me. Porsche it is.

2 weeks later I was able to drive an M3 DCT - it definitely has some personality. Steering WAY WAY better than the 435i, Liked the firmer ride as well. Wasn't familiar with DCT (never drove one) so was more concerned about how to use it than the experience. Was an impressive car, unfortunately the test drive was in stop and go traffic. There is NO COMPARISON between the 435i M-sport and the M3 and how they drive and feedback they give (M3 still a bit numb compared to the 335is, but on par with the Macan electric steering). The following weekend I was able to drive a manual M3 on a road without traffic, and then a Macan within 30 mins of the M3 drive. Got a great comparison that day, and M3 6MT is way better than the 435i Msport.

So...I now have a deposit on an M3 order, despite essentially being committed--mind, body and soul--to getting a Macan. The M3 price is still 10K cheaper than the Macan (without my trade even)...You need to drive this car, and you will know.
This is a great insight. Follow this mans forumula . I still think the 435i is a fantastic car. Everything today is EPS so not even really concerned about the numb feel as pretty much anything you drive will have a lack of feedback compared to the old units. (Excluding the Alfa 4C). On the other hand they did do a fantastic job on the M3/4 electric rack. Its just something you have to drive to feel. Drive a 335i/435i and an M back to back and yes you will notice for sure.
      10-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #99
ThatBMWGuy
Rep
Drives: Active Hybrid 3

The M3/M4 has around 80% difference in parts from it's 3 and 4 series brethens.

Most of the differences is in how to car drives and feels.

If you're going for looks, get a M sport package and save yourself 15K-20K.
Appreciate 0