GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #67
F82FTW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP, 88' M5 Blk/Blk US

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavidM3E92 View Post
I really think you should buy a 335i and tune it lol
Haha! +1
F80 M3 ZCP - Current...E28 M5 1/30 Blk/Blk US Spec - Current...17' 911 - SOLD...E90 M3 - Sold...F82 M4 - SOLD...F02 750Li - SOLD...Austin MINI - SOLD...E82 135is - SOLD...E89 Z4 - SOLD...F10 535i - SOLD...E30 325is - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #68
F82FTW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP, 88' M5 Blk/Blk US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutinup View Post
THIS RIGHT HERE!...plus ONLY you (and other M owners) will know the diff between the two. It won't turn heads bc it's simply TOO similar body wise (blah, blah, blah about wider, lower, etc) to the 4 series. Unless you are tracking it, you will only see it as more powerful 4 series. Save your money, or wait until the Lexus RC-F comes out. This is a good question, but you won't get a quality answer here BC ITS A M4 FORUM my friend.
FWIW...YMB M4 definitely turns some serious heads...lol!
F80 M3 ZCP - Current...E28 M5 1/30 Blk/Blk US Spec - Current...17' 911 - SOLD...E90 M3 - Sold...F82 M4 - SOLD...F02 750Li - SOLD...Austin MINI - SOLD...E82 135is - SOLD...E89 Z4 - SOLD...F10 535i - SOLD...E30 325is - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #69
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I think the argument is more do you want the top performance car available or do you want a semi-performance car that's also comfortable and perhaps better bang for the buck. I think the M4, RS5, C63 lose some comfort over their 335, S5, C350 counterparts. You gain tremendous performance but also at a tremendous price that depending on your driving style you may never fully get to appreciate to make it worth it. It's not a logical decision but an emotional one. I think without question the S5 is loads better than the 335i or C350 or even 435i if you don't need the top performance category.

But that said, if you do decide to get the top performance car then I'd go with the M4 simply because it's the newest gen. That doesn't mean I think it's better than the RS5 or C63, (it's better at some things, worse at other things) but it is NEWER. Though the downside is that because it's newer it hasn't been as validated in terms of reliability as much as the RS5 or C63.

I prefer the looks the of the RS5 slightly b/c I think it looks more exotic and it has exceptional presence in person. The V8 of either the C63 or the RS5 sound better than the M4. The RS5's weak point is it's steering is numb. The C63's terrible gas mileage and lack of dual clutch would rule it out for me. Interior is a matter of personal preference. Engine is also a matter of personal preference. All 3 of these cars feel crazy fast no matter what the stat sheet says (actually they all hit 0 to 60mphs in the 3.8-3.9s range). The C63 has torque and top end rush. The M4 has torque but no top end rush - arguably the engine most like a tuned 335i. The RS5 has top end rush but not that much low end torque (similar to an e92 M3 but not as lacking in torque).

That's just my 2 cents. New C63 comes out in a few months. Lexus RC F is almost here. RS4/RS5 probably won't be out for another 3 years. Lol honestly I'd get a Cayman GTS if I had another car. That Cayman GTS is the best and is the newest.

Nice problem to have, isn't it?
Haha, indeed.

I saw a new Cxxx ( badge delete) with an AMG kit yesterday, it looked pretty decent from the front but the back was pretty abysmal, the current/older C class looks better imho.

I also took out an RS5 for a test drive, and it was incredible tbh. It has so much presence and it clearly looks different from your average A5. The engine note was fantastic and it was bloody fast. Loved the engine. The steering wasn't too bad IMO but it wasn't as good as the steering on my 428i, but then again I only took it out on the highway and I didn't fiddle with any of the settings.

If the M4 is anything like this car I'm definitely gonna like it, too bad my dealer doesn't have on yet. The Lexus RC-F looks insane, it's hard to believe that this thing came out of Lexus!

I like it though, it's different. As for the Cayman, It's too small and I hear that maintenance is very expensive on Porsches. It wasn't on my list so I don't really know anything about it, I'll have to research a little more.

Last edited by AustinYellowMakesMeHard; 08-04-2014 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #70
AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutinup View Post
THIS RIGHT HERE!...plus ONLY you (and other M owners) will know the diff between the two. It won't turn heads bc it's simply TOO similar body wise (blah, blah, blah about wider, lower, etc) to the 4 series. Unless you are tracking it, you will only see it as more powerful 4 series. Save your money, or wait until the Lexus RC-F comes out. This is a good question, but you won't get a quality answer here BC ITS A M4 FORUM my friend.

Haha, fair enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #71
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard View Post
Haha, indeed.

I also took out an RS5 for a test drive, and it was incredible tbh. It has so much presence and it clearly looks different from your average A5. The engine note was fantastic and it was bloody fast. Loved the engine. The steering wasn't too bad IMO but it wasn't as good as the steering on my 428i, but then again I only took it out on the highway and I didn't fiddle with any of the settings.

If the M4 is anything like this car I'm definitely gonna like it, too bad my dealer doesn't have on yet. The Lexus RC-F looks insane, it's hard to believe that this thing came out of Lexus!
The whole experience of owning a RS5 feels VERY special. I still kick myself every time I lay eyes on her, when I sit inside and gaze at the R8-esque cockpit, and when when I fire up the engine and hear her roar to life. Two things that for me are head and shoulders above the M4 are the gauge cluster and the start-up sound. Both of those are really uninspiring on the M4. The M4 is super quiet at startup (no roar) and the gauges (not the steering wheel but the gauges) are probably the most boring gauges I've ever seen on a modern performance car (thankfully the HUD makes up for it).

Now most folks on here will tell you they like the 'simplicity' of the M4 gauges, but honestly I prefer the E92 version. I'm surprised more people don't complain about the F8x gauges.

The RCF is also on my radar. The V8 sounds incredible (they have a button on their insider site where you can listen to the roar of the V8. I just click it all day, vroom, vroom, vroom). And the color selection both inside and out on the RC F is a thousand times better than the M4. Plus you can get not just a carbon fiber roof but also a carbon fiber hood and spoiler. I can understand why some people might characterize the RCF as ugly ---but I prefer to call it unique haha. I'd say if handling/all-out performance isn't the highest priority for you, then the RC F should be a serious contender and who knows maybe it'll surprise us all and be a worthy track car as well. We'll find out soon. What I like about Lexus is that they eager to impress and to listen to what consumers want -- which I can't say of BMW M lately

F8X gauges:

RS5 gauges:

E92 M gauges:

And the Lexus RC F gauges take the cake for most impressive design (since it's basically the LFA gauges). That shii never gets old how you can move the cluster from side to side.

Last edited by onatuesday; 08-04-2014 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #72
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

Rs5 all the way, amazing piece of kit, looks amazing and sounds like a high performance car should do. My next car hands down seeing as I can pick one up for 30k now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:07 AM   #73
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The whole experience of owning a RS5 feels VERY special. I still kick myself every time I lay eyes on her, when I sit inside and gaze at the R8-esque cockpit, and when when I fire up the engine and hear her roar to life. Two things that for me are head and shoulders above the M4 are the gauge cluster and the start-up sound. Both of those are really uninspiring on the M4. The M4 is super quiet at startup (no roar) and the gauges (not the steering wheel but the gauges) are probably the most boring gauges I've ever seen on a modern performance car (thankfully the HUD makes up for it).

Now most folks on here will tell you they like the 'simplicity' of the M4 gauges, but honestly I prefer the E92 version. I'm surprised more people don't complain about the F8x gauges.

The RCF is also on my radar. The V8 sounds incredible (they have a button on their insider site where you can listen to the roar of the V8. I just click it all day, vroom, vroom, vroom). And the color selection both inside and out on the RC F is a thousand times better than the M4. Plus you can get not just a carbon fiber roof but also a carbon fiber hood and spoiler. I can understand why some people might characterize the RCF as ugly ---but I prefer to call it unique haha. I'd say if handling/all-out performance isn't the highest priority for you, then the RC F should be a serious contender and who knows maybe it'll surprise us all and be a worthy track car as well. We'll find out soon. What I like about Lexus is that they eager to impress and to listen to what consumers want -- which I can't say of BMW M lately

F\
And the Lexus RC F gauges take the cake for most impressive design (since it's basically the LFA gauges). That shii never gets old how you can move the cluster from side to side.
I never liked the M4 gauges either.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #74
BurnMeWallet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 on it's way

Bro, I was in the same situation as you, my wife wanted a M3, I told her a 335 is just as good, she wont be able to utilize the M3s potential... Boy was I wrong, we went to test drive the M3 and it was awesome.... made my tuned S4 felt like SHIT... It was even more awesome when I went to test drive the 4 series for that $1000 coupon towards our M3.. 4 series was not as fast, not as nimble, brakes were nowhere near, and the trans shift so much smoother and faster in the M3.. Sure, you can tune your 335 to be fast,, and whats preventing you from tuning your M3 to go even faster? Its not all about straight speed, its the entire package, the handling, and braking.. besides, you pay premium up front for a M3 over the 335, but what happens when you trade in both cars? you get your premium back,, 335 is worth crap when you trade it in..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #75
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Why not?

I haven't driven an M4 yet ( my dealership hasn't gotten one yet) so I pardon me if I'm wrong in thinking that in the real world a 335i with an aftermarket exhaust and tune will keep up with an m4
Not happening without a turbo upgrade on the 335. The n55 needs a lot of work to get to 400whp and includes meth/race gas, dp, aggressive tune, etc.

Tune only will get you around 310whp add in careless dp and more aggressive tune and you're up to 340ish... The n54 was a bit easier to hit 400whp but still needs quite a bit of work to reach the 420 or so necessary to keep up with the m3. Now upgrade the turbos and the sky is the limit.

That's straight line stuff. You'd still be missing the chassis and handling and rear diff of the m. Not to mention the dct that's available.

I always go back to value proposition if you want straight line performance. BMW's aren't really what I'd go for if that's all I wanted. Grab a mustang gt, put a blower on it and you'd end up at the price of a medium equipped 335 but more power than a m5.

To each their own though.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #76
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I had a 14' RS5 and thought it was boring. Great to look at, great interior, but no fun. Sold it after 3k miles.

She was pretty though!
      08-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #77
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Ugh, the grille on that audi ruins it for me. It's a 19" high gaping hole honeycombed over with a badge placed on it. Otherwise, very pretty.
      08-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #78
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Ugh, the grille on that audi ruins it for me. It's a 19" high gaping hole honeycombed over with a badge placed on it. Otherwise, very pretty.
yeaaahhh ... can't get past that ...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #79
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

I got my fiancé a 4 series convert w the M package about 4 weeks ago. Saw my first M4 the other day and holy crap it looks like a different car. The 4 series is nice but not in the same league as the M4. The generic aspects of the 4 series go away as a M4.
      08-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #80
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

[QUOTE=ixse;16394825]
Quote:
Why not?

I haven't driven an M4 yet ( my dealership hasn't gotten one yet) so I pardon me if I'm wrong in thinking that in the real world a 335i with an aftermarket exhaust and tune will keep up with an m4[/QUOTE

just youtube some of M4 promo vids.. that should at least get you started on differences between 435 n m4. its pretty obvious that you are not a huge car enthusiast and maybe looking for a nice car that has some punch. if thats the case f8x might not be best value for you. you want a fast cruiser, i would take rs5. dont get c63.. the new 2016 model is around the corner.
Just buy Forza 5 for XBOX one. Should Help anyone make their choice on a car they want to buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #81
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzM4 View Post
I had a 14' RS5 and thought it was boring. Great to look at, great interior, but no fun. Sold it after 3k miles.

She was pretty though!
Same here...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #82
m4topdown
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
I think the argument is more do you want the top performance car available or do you want a semi-performance car that's also comfortable and perhaps better bang for the buck. I think the M4, RS5, C63 lose some comfort over their 335, S5, C350 counterparts. You gain tremendous performance but also at a tremendous price that depending on your driving style you may never fully get to appreciate to make it worth it. It's not a logical decision but an emotional one. I think without question the S5 is loads better than the 335i or C350 or even 435i if you don't need the top performance category.

But that said, if you do decide to get the top performance car then I'd go with the M4 simply because it's the newest gen. That doesn't mean I think it's better than the RS5 or C63, (it's better at some things, worse at other things) but it is NEWER. Though the downside is that because it's newer it hasn't been as validated in terms of reliability as much as the RS5 or C63.

I prefer the looks the of the RS5 slightly b/c I think it looks more exotic and it has exceptional presence in person. The V8 of either the C63 or the RS5 sound better than the M4. The RS5's weak point is it's steering is numb. The C63's terrible gas mileage and lack of dual clutch would rule it out for me. Interior is a matter of personal preference. Engine is also a matter of personal preference. All 3 of these cars feel crazy fast no matter what the stat sheet says (actually they all hit 0 to 60mphs in the 3.8-3.9s range). The C63 has torque and top end rush. The M4 has torque but no top end rush - arguably the engine most like a tuned 335i. The RS5 has top end rush but not that much low end torque (similar to an e92 M3 but not as lacking in torque).

That's just my 2 cents. New C63 comes out in a few months. Lexus RC F is almost here. RS4/RS5 probably won't be out for another 3 years. Lol honestly I'd get a Cayman GTS if I had another car. That Cayman GTS is the best and is the newest.

Nice problem to have, isn't it?
Hey guy, text me or email me please. I have several questions regarding RS5 M4 comparison. 678-365-8349 or al32400@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #83
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

I agree with most on here. Audi is nice to look at and that's about it.

M3/M4 vs c63 will really come down to the following

Manual vs Auto - if you want manual, M is only option
Sound - if you want killer v8 sound...c63
Performance - M for twistes c63 for str8line

Obviously there are other differences...but either the c63 or M will be a great choice. IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #84
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS
Quote:
The 4 series is wider than the 3series so the delta between the M3 and the 3 series is bigger than the delta between the 4series and the M4 in terms of fender arches. See images below...
I am with gmcconn535, those little differences don't mean much to most, just to us who pay attention to every detail of our cars. I cannot tell the difference of any Merc or Audi for example, I sometime wonder what model one that is nice looking on the road, I just don't pay attention to MB or Audi models.

And for me, the M4 looking similar to the regular 4 series is what draws me into it, I see that as a benefit.

Quote:
1. It looks too much like a a regular 3/4 series with an M sport kit. At least it does so in pictures and videos. People who have seen both cars in real life, could you confirm or dispute this for me?

2. Why not just buy a 335i and tune it? Yeah I know that the chassis is better and it's lighter etc. but I don't track so without the s65 engine that set the m3 apart from the 335i in the past what reason is there for a person with avg driving skills to buy one?
I maintain that buying any car for us enthusiasts is more emotional than logical. If you are looking for logical reasoning, I really doubt you will find it, you need to follow your heart if it is not driving you into bankruptcy.

However, I really doubt that you will enjoy the extra benefits/features/capabilities an M4 has if you just going to drive on the street. You cannot even exploit the performance potential of 435 on the street, so everything else is not very meaningful IMHO. I personally think if you already have a 428, why would you change it?

I have this type of conversations with clients and friends about Porsche a lot. I tell them if they want to just experience Porsche and not go wild from time to time, a base Cayman or Boxster will meet their needs. I suspect it is the same with BMW. If you want more sporty character and a change out of BMW, then do consider a Boxster or Cayman IMO.
great post! I agree totally .. just like any product line, you start paying a LOT more for relatively small gains, especially in the upper tiers. if I didn't plan on tracking my car and didn't want that last bit of performance/feel I would have definitely gone with the MSport 335i (which I have now and am trading in for an M3). they look very sporty and have a lot of performance and still are probably BETTER at daily driving and road trips (also available with XDrive which might be of use to you).

good luck and go with your gut!

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #85
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I totally disagree. People say that in this forum all the time, but to my eye, there is no more difference between an M3 and a 335i M Sport than there is between a 435i M Sport and an M4.
+1, I've mistaken many 335i m-sports with M3s. If I was a smarter man, I would've just gone with the M-Sport and paid $200 for some badges.
      10-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #86
chicochico
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

I have a e90 tuned 335i. I enjoy driving her. She still puts a smile on my face when I walk up to her and when I push her.

Then I drove the f82. Like WOW.

It is so much more next level than my 3 series. Sounds way better. Has way more power. But most importantly, does it handle.

I also couldn’t get over why people complain about the sound. I thought it sounded great.

Anyways, just get some seat time. Then report back. Unless of course, you don’t want to order one.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #87
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochico View Post
I have a e90 tuned 335i. I enjoy driving her. She still puts a smile on my face when I walk up to her and when I push her.

Then I drove the f82. Like WOW.

It is so much more next level than my 3 series. Sounds way better. Has way more power. But most importantly, does it handle.

I also couldn’t get over why people complain about the sound. I thought it sounded great.

Anyways, just get some seat time. Then report back. Unless of course, you don’t want to order one.
The sound is not as good as a v8. It was louder than I thought it was going to be at my test drive. But louder does not mean better

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #88
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
The sound is not as good as a v8. It was louder than I thought it was going to be at my test drive. But louder does not mean better
Having owned the car for 2 months now I actually think the sound on the inside is awesome but unfortunately once the window is cracked and you can hear what it sounds like from the outside...it's less than pleasing to hear. It's not something where I'd want people on the outside to hear though on the inside I like it. And IMO none of the aftermarket exhausts sound good either from the outside. And yes it is loud from inside and out
Appreciate 0