BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Off-road capabilities

03-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
LDRX1
Rep
Drives: F48

Question Off-road capabilities

Hi All,

I`m struggling to find information/videos/tests on the X1`s off-road capabilities (especially on xdrive, but would be interested to have feedback with sdrive too)...

Any feedback/links/etc... From the very few reviews mentioning them, it`s quite negative (compared to a LR Evoque for example, which seems to have some capabilities in 2WD as well).

Thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

The X1 utilizes a part-time, on-demand AWD system, similar to the Audi Q3 and M-B GLA. This system is not intended for any significant off-road use, and has no differential locks or low-range gearbox. However, subject to clearance issues and the capability of the tyres fitted, I think you'll find it performs quite well. Depending on the market, there is a hill descent system either standard or available as an option. You should also read up on how to set up the DTC (dynamic traction control) to maximize traction in slippery conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #3
LDRX1
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
The X1 utilizes a part-time, on-demand AWD system, similar to the Audi Q3 and M-B GLA. This system is not intended for any significant off-road use, and has no differential locks or low-range gearbox. However, subject to clearance issues and the capability of the tyres fitted, I think you'll find it performs quite well. Depending on the market, there is a hill descent system either standard or available as an option. You should also read up on how to set up the DTC (dynamic traction control) to maximize traction in slippery conditions.
Many thanks Ttimbo... This is a very thorough answer, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

As ttimbo says, The X1 utilizes a on-demand AWD system, Whilst this system is not intended for serious off-road use (no low range or high clearance) it performs quite well in the wet on dirt or gravel tracks and on the beach. It will go most places where 'caution' is used as the preface.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
As ttimbo says, The X1 utilizes a on-demand AWD system, Whilst this system is not intended for serious off-road use (no low range or high clearance) it performs quite well in the wet on dirt or gravel tracks and on the beach. It will go most places where 'caution' is used as the preface.
Checking the handbook, it gives 25cm (10" approx) as wading depth, which is marginal for several of the fords in my part of the world. Also, there is no underbody protection, although everything is well tucked up. Cautious approach advised!
Appreciate 0