BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) sports seats uncomfortable

03-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
bluecusion
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: X5M competition

sports seats uncomfortable

Just got the m sports x1 today and feels like sports seats are too small for me. is it just me or does anyone feel the same? bottom seat is too narrow for my hip any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

It is a very common complaint. They are not the same sport seat that is used in higher end BMWs. The thigh support is much narrower also.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
bluecusion
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

any tips on fixing these seats?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
IBX1
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

I made a bolster for my X1 that supports my right leg while pivoting accel and brake. It helps if you have long legs and like to lean on the console (since this car design completely removed the console wall!). I made a template with a foam board and drove around with that until I could get it to be perfect position. Then I traced that template onto 1/2 ply, cut with jigsaw, and wrapped in Cocoa vinyl that looks like the Mocha leather (for the vinyl wrap I just cut to shape and tacked it on with sort brads using a nail gun). The cool thing is that it does not need any attaching with velcro or anything the way I drew the tamplate it sits along the contour of the floor. And it's narrow enough it wedges between seat and console perfectly and causes zero damage or rub to the car. I find that this solves the issue I was having of feeling like I was sliding out of the chair laterally, and tiring my driving leg.

A guy on another forum noticed the left foot rest is too far back. It is for me too and I started driving with left shoe off and it's much better. The other guy removed that block and cut it down some.

There is also a rumor that there will be a new seat coming out in Summer possibly. Not sure which markets. I talked to BMWUSA genius about getting a 3 series or X5 drivers seat put in and he said to ask my parts and service dept to look into it. He seemed to think it may be possible. I hope enough people complain abut this that they try to sort it out for us. I love most of the other aspects of the car and am determined to work with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 12:31 AM   #5
bluecusion
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

i wonder why bmw made the seats this narrow. they know its narrow and during development, someone has to complained about the seats being narrow. I guess i will have to lose some weight and hammer down the side bolsters on the seat to make it littlebit more comfier. thank you for your insight!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
IBX1
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

I know what you mean. I have a narrow butt but big thighs (cyclist) and the bolsters sort of curve and go down along the middle of my thigh and like less than half the length of my femur lol. It's like sitting at a bar stool. It does not give good support.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Verker
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: MB C-Class 220 T-Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecusion View Post
i wonder why bmw made the seats this narrow. they know its narrow and during development, someone has to complained about the seats being narrow. I guess i will have to lose some weight and hammer down the side bolsters on the seat to make it littlebit more comfier. thank you for your insight!
Well, the X1 is buildt on a platform derived from the Mini brand, and along come certain Mini restrictions, one of them seemingly very tiny seats. I have driven the sport seats in leather trim in the X1 for half a day, and while i am by no means a big guy 177 cm tall and weigh around 85kg, i had severe pain in my thighs when i returned the car.

Over the past years i have read hundreds of complaints by german car testers about how tiny seats of japanese and korean cars would be - and meanwhile BMW builds FWD cars with a 3 cylinder engine and midget seats.

In my POV the parts which are made to support your thighs are not wide enough and they are way too high and too hard as well. I guess the only solution would be to take the car to an upholsterer, who would flaten these parts be about 3-4 cm or alternatively fit way more soft material below the leather. Might cost a fortune though.

I would so much like to love this car, but i am not sure i d be happy with the non-sport seats in leather, i am yet to try those (concerning length they are even smaller though than the sport version...).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 02:09 AM   #8
thtoothdoc
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d Xline

The non sports seats are also uncomfortable , its my wifes car and its going back so its not really a problem but I cannot remember any vehicle that I have driven in where I have felt that the seats were so unsupportive except a van seat from a vehicle 30 years ago .
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:39 PM   #9
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

This thread just highlights to me the importance of ensuring you have some comprehensive test drives, including of the spec you are looking to buy, before making any commitment. Sometimes, that entails visiting other dealers. Cars are generally the second most expensive investment most people make and for mine, it beggars belief that some people don't do this.

Seats are really, really important. It is impossible for a particular seat to fit all body types. We test drove the Q3 and M-B GLA against the X1, and it was their standard and optional sport seats that knocked them out, relative to the X1's sport seats. But, as I've said before, for our purposes, the standard X1 seats just don't cut it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
bluecusion
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Believe or not, my seats are getting better. Ive been hammering it down since then and feels like its working. car only has 300 miles now so i think it will get better. also, doesnt bother me as much as before. i am 5"10 with 190 lbs so my weight also helps i think. i will report back later on. thank you guys for the help! i do appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
augkor
Rep
Drives: No BMW Yet

Quote:
Believe or not, my seats are getting better. Ive been hammering it down since then and feels like its working. car only has 300 miles now so i think it will get better. also, doesnt bother me as much as before. i am 5"10 with 190 lbs so my weight also helps i think. i will report back later on. thank you guys for the help! i do appreciate it!
I noticed a similar thing when I first started driving the car and went on a longer trip. Over a couple of hours, the seats seemed to soften up and mold to the shape of my legs. Found them to be very comfortable on longer drives.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by augkor
Quote:
I noticed a similar thing when I first started driving the car and went on a longer trip. Over a couple of hours, the seats seemed to soften up and mold to the shape of my legs. Found them to be very comfortable on longer drives.
Good to know.
Appreciate 0