BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Spa's operating licence suspended

09-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Spa's operating licence suspended

You have got to be FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!

One of the BEST track in the world got suspended by fucking tree-huggers???!!!

And trying to make 20 (26 next year) F1 cars quiet...that's like trying to sleep when you attend a rock concert....

Quote:
The future of the Belgian Grand Prix appears to be up in the air again after the Spa-Francorchamps circuit had its operating licence suspended for the next 17 years.

The decision comes from the Council of State, effectively Belgium's supreme administrative court, after a noise complaint was made by a board of local residents in 2007.

It resulted in the track operators being ordered to undertake an environmental impact study, which has been described in a Council of State ruling as "seriously inadequate and incomplete".

That has resulted in the licence suspension until 2026, with the decision coming as a major shock to circuit director Pierre-Alain Thibaut.

"The whole viability of the circuit may be questioned," remarked Thibaut on lesoir.be, a Belgian news website.

"Since the filing of the complaint, the situation has changed. The circuit has worked hard to reduce noise, and relations with local residents have improved.

"It is a difficult situation, but we've made commitments vis-a-vis a range of people, and we must comply on pain of having to pay damages.

"We will challenge the government, and organise a dialogue with the board of residents."

The race was already under discussion after it was confirmed on the Sunday of this year's event just over three weeks ago that it had made a £2.6million loss.

It prompted the president of the race organisers, Etienne Davignon, to suggest the prospect of renegotiating its current contract with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, or even alternating the event with another circuit such as Germany's Nurburgring.
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,189...578145,00.html
      09-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
I was gonna PUKE when I read this. Such sad news. I truly hope this decision gets overturned or overruled or over-in-general.
      09-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

wow
sorry to go off topic here,
but OP - you have 50 000+++ posts...

thats nuts! I thought I spend too much time on the forum in the day. HOLY!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Remind me to punch the next hippie I see in the face
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
I was gonna PUKE when I read this. Such sad news. I truly hope this decision gets overturned or overruled or over-in-general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Remind me to punch the next hippie I see in the face
I remember I read something like Monza had similar complaints....but the Italian court overruled and stated that to held a F1 Grand Prix is for the better good and the pride of the country...the slight inconvience is necessary!!!

COMMON SENSE prevailed!!! once a while...
      09-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
My favorite track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't they live with the noise for 3 fucking days??????

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Noise row temporarily closes Spa

By Edd Straw

Belgian Grand Prix venue Spa Francorchamps has been reopened following the suspension of a ruling which temporarily closed the circuit because of noise complaints, AUTOSPORT understands.

The track was briefly closed in response to complaints raised by a not-for-profit anti-noise organisation whose name literally translates as 'the quiet ones'. Although the group originally lodged its objection in 2007, the local authorities did not take action until this week, when a 17-year closure order was imposed.

However, following a meeting of government officials, sources have said that the closure of the circuit has been called off pending further legal discussions to take place next week following Spa's decision to appeal against the decision.

This means that this weekend's blue riband Spa Six Hours historic event can go ahead, although a lasting solution to the noise disputes still needs to be found.

Circuit boss Pierre-Alain Thibaut admitted in an interview with Belgium's Le Soir that the situation "calls the whole viability of the track into question", but added that since the original complaints were made the track has made significant developments in reducing the environmental impact of its activities.

"Since the complaint was made, the situation has changed," said Thibaut. "The track has worked hard to reduce noise pollution and our relationship with local residents has been much improved."

Sources at Spa claim that the track complies with the stipulated noise limits, and are hopeful that the situation will not threaten the long-term future of the circuit.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78806
      09-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
PHEW!!!! That was a close one!

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #9
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
LOL, this from one of the forum liberals. You reap what you sow.
      09-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

AMEN....I'm worried between the local towns' people and Bernie, there won't be any more European races at this rate by 2015. Geez, F1 was founded in Europe....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wonder how much revenue they lose because of that...?

Hope they don't want new roads or anything in those nearby towns...

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formel1 View Post
AMEN....I'm worried between the local towns' people and Bernie, there won't be any more European races at this rate by 2015. Geez, F1 was founded in Europe....
That's one thing...and also 90% of the BEST F1 tracks are in Europe, Monaco, Spa, Monza, Silverstone, Mangy-Cors, Nurbergring, San Marino, Hockenheim, Istanbul...etc etc....

The ONLY tracks that is good and not in Europe are Melbourne Fuji/ Suzuka, and Montreal....none of the brand new tracks in Asia Pacific and Middle-East that i find as good viewing and challenging as European circuits....they can only prove they have a deeper pocket than Europeans to fill up Bernie's bank account...
      10-01-2009, 04:15 AM   #13
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

god i hate my own government so bad

They do this to everything, they gave DHL huge fines because of BS reasons, so DHL completely left brussels airport leaving hundreds without a job. I see stupid stuff like this everyday. At this rate we'll have nothing left in a few years :/
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
That's one thing...and also 90% of the BEST F1 tracks are in Europe, Monaco, Spa, Monza, Silverstone, Mangy-Cors, Nurbergring, San Marino, Hockenheim, Istanbul...etc etc....

The ONLY tracks that is good and not in Europe are Melbourne Fuji/ Suzuka, and Montreal.
I would put Interlagos among the best behind Spa, Silverstone, and Suzuka.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #15
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
LOL, this from one of the forum liberals. You reap what you sow.
Huh?? Yeah I am a liberal, but I still have common sense.

When people move next to a noise emitting venue, then complain that it's too noisy, they are being really unreasonable. On the other hand if you are trying to imply that because I take a liberal stance on many things that I have to be a hippie tree hugger who is on the side of "the quiet ones". Nope, not at all.

Just because someone is liberal, it doesn't mean that they 100% agree with the actions of every environmental group on the planet.
      10-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I still want to see that NYC on the streets of midtown...but at least SPA is safe for now.

Next thing we will see is the ending of the 24 hours of LeMans because the campers didn't recycle their water bottles.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:

The ONLY tracks that is good and not in Europe are Melbourne Fuji/ Suzuka, and Montreal....none of the brand new tracks in Asia Pacific and Middle-East that i find as good viewing and challenging as European circuits....they can only prove they have a deeper pocket than Europeans to fill up Bernie's bank account...
whaaaat??
Sepang over Fuji anyday
Montreal and Melbourne are life-less clones.

Top 10 F1 tracks (from best to worst)
1- Spa
2- Suzuka
3- Sepang
4- Ring
5- San Marino
6- Magny-Cours
7- Monza
8- Catalunya (older version)
9- Silverstone
10- Hungaroring
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
Formel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

So who's staying awake for practice this early a.m.? Think I'm saving the energy for qualifying and the race. Don't think I'm gonna get much sleep this weekend....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #19
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
god i hate my own government so bad

They do this to everything, they gave DHL huge fines because of BS reasons, so DHL completely left brussels airport leaving hundreds without a job. I see stupid stuff like this everyday. At this rate we'll have nothing left in a few years :/
ya .... but u guys have the lowest emissions per ckm in the world
+ the most pristine nature reserves ... all BECAUSE of those crazy Belgian lawmakers.

but Spa MUST remain ..... and eventually, it will become a national landmark with the same strict conservancy laws.

The greatest pass in F1 history happened there ...... Mika on Schumi
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #20
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So who's staying awake for practice this early a.m.? Think I'm saving the energy for qualifying and the race. Don't think I'm gonna get much sleep this weekend....
its on Live in the evenings over the weekend ...... in the US
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #21
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
I would put Interlagos among the best behind Spa, Silverstone, and Suzuka.
oops...i forgot that one...

Quote:
Huh?? Yeah I am a liberal, but I still have common sense.

When people move next to a noise emitting venue, then complain that it's too noisy, they are being really unreasonable. On the other hand if you are trying to imply that because I take a liberal stance on many things that I have to be a hippie tree hugger who is on the side of "the quiet ones". Nope, not at all.

Just because someone is liberal, it doesn't mean that they 100% agree with the actions of every environmental group on the planet.
good for you!
i just hate some of the liberals just fighting against watever the government or anything they do not like and feel "non-enviromental friendly"....

reminds me the protesters against airport expansions....especially in Heathrow....there's so much potential that LHR to become a bigger hub of Europe and help British Economy.....with limited runway operation...its suffocating....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I still want to see that NYC on the streets of midtown...but at least SPA is safe for now.

Next thing we will see is the ending of the 24 hours of LeMans because the campers didn't recycle their water bottles.
Shit....if NYC-Manhatten does host Formula 1...there will be a MAJOR overhaul of the city....first...dig out at least 5 feet deep of the road and repave all the potholes and trentches....even a normal E90 feels bouncy and horrid in NYC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
whaaaat??
Sepang over Fuji anyday
Montreal and Melbourne are life-less clones.

Top 10 F1 tracks (from best to worst)
1- Spa
2- Suzuka
3- Sepang
4- Ring
5- San Marino
6- Magny-Cours
7- Monza
8- Catalunya (older version)
9- Silverstone
10- Hungaroring
Not sure about Sepang....it feels too technical and kept reminds me its a bit similar to Shanghai....not historial, glamour, or just giving me the WOW factor like Spa....once a while it does put on a good show....

Quote:
its only 1am for east coast viewers....so what....nothing with some coffee and redbull won't help...
our west coast viewers used to wake up 4:30am and watch it live....finally we have some better showtime here....late evening and morning for Interlagos....
      10-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #22
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:

Shit....if NYC-Manhatten does host Formula 1...there will be a MAJOR overhaul of the city....first...dig out at least 5 feet deep of the road and repave all the potholes and trentches....even a normal E90 feels bouncy and horrid in NYC....
Haha, The proposed route wasnt that bad, but yeah massive repaving would need to be done, but common, they close down 3/4 of the city for a turkey to walk to 34th street, yet we dont get badass races, its not fair.

I drive in the city every now and again, try driving 2nd ave from the Triboro to the midtown tunnel, then talk to me about shit roads. haha

Appreciate 0