BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) New Tiguan 2016

04-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
LDRX1
Rep
Drives: F48

New Tiguan 2016

Hi all,

Any thoughts on the new Tiguan 2016?? I was considering the X1 but it looks quite premium so I`m starting to hesitate...

Please help!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

I was also hesitating but at the end I ordered the X1, because:
1) the X1 is a BMW,
2) VW has been cheating on emissions,
3) I hate the cheap plexiglass screen raising for the head-up display on the Tiguan, and the HUD from the X1 is just so good.
4) a BMW has better resale value,
5) the interior inserts look cheap on the Tiguan,
6) my wife also preferred the X1
7) much better sales support at BMW showroom than at VW.

I would have found other reasons after test driving the Tiguan but finally we did not wait for it (too much time between car reveal and availability for test drive).
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRX1 View Post
Hi all,

Any thoughts on the new Tiguan 2016?? I was considering the X1 but it looks quite premium so I`m starting to hesitate...

Please help!
It'll come down to preference (& price - you'll get much bigger discounts on the VW) in the end, but as someone who thought he was going to replace his VW with another one, here's my 2p's worth:

* See how premium it actually feels when you drive it - recent VW interiors have seemed much less premium in the flesh than in photos.

* Try and drive a Tiguan and and X1 back to back - one of the things that sold me the X1 was just how much better it felt to drive, and how much smoother & quieter it was.

* If you are going for an auto, unless the DSG box in the VW has improved massively, the X1's is better.

* Check the seating position - VW generally set the seats in their SUVs and MPVs higher off the floor (I, (or my wife!) would actually have preferred this).

* You'll normally get much more equipment as standard with the VW

* A personal one this, but the thing that stopped me waiting for the Tiguan before getting the X1 is that it has gone with the modern trend of making cars too wide!
The X1 pushed my limits of what I could live with: anything wider becomes a real pain in multi-storey carparks in the UK, specifically we have friends with a 12m long driveway between their house and a stonewall which is too narrow to take anything wider, so we would have had to give up visiting them!

As an ex-VW diesel owner I don't particularly trust them at the moment either, but if the Tig appeals to you go and try it, and please post your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

FYI, Autogefühl has just released their full review of the new Tiguan
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
That dude is extremely biased towards VW. I'd wait for Ausfahrt.tv's English version. His X1 review was what sealed the deal for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

My wife owned 6 VWs including 2 Tiguans. VW dealership wouldn't budge from MSRP for a new Tiguan. Went next and ordered X1. Got it $200 below invoice.

One would think that VW would be more motivated to keep loyal customers after the scandal.
      04-07-2016, 01:17 AM   #7
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Talking about VW care for customer, another point convinced me not to go for a Tiguan. A friend of mine experience a DSG problem on his 2013 or 2014 Tiguan, he could not have 3rd gear anymore. He brought it to the dealer and asked for free replacement car during the repair as it was under warranty. He has been told it was not possible but if it had stopped on the side of the road and then called VW assistance he would have got a replacement car. Obviously the car dealer would have to pay for the replacement car and he did not want. I never experienced this with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:48 AM   #8
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
That dude is extremely biased towards VW. I'd wait for Ausfahrt.tv's English version. His X1 review was what sealed the deal for me.
Nice review indeed...
Appreciate 0