X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) F48 Drama

02-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Knoxyboy
Rep
Drives: M235i (Gone), 1967 Porsche 912

Exclamation F48 Drama

I thought I would share my experience of the new X1.

As a long standing BMW, BMW Motorrad and Mini customer, Last weekend I traded in my wife's 2014 Mini Cooper SD 5 door for a pre-registered Mineral Grey X1 2.0d X Drive Sport. It was a nice car, registered by my local BMW dealer in December 2015 with 10 miles on the clock. It had Dakota Leather, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass 19" wheels and Sport Auto. We collected the car last Monday 8th February

Now you may notice that I am speaking in past tense, that is because in the five days we had the car, it was in the dealers workshop for 2 days with a repetitive issue of the media / idrive system crashing and re-booting. When it was returned, after repair, the issue still existed but worse, on Friday (Day 5) the car suffered a complete breakdown, dashboard light up like a Christmas tree, total loss of drive, failure to start. This resulted in it having to be recovered.

I immediately contacted the dealer, who I must say have been excellent throughout, sending a driver and a new X3 within 20 mins of the breakdown to allow me to get on with my day. I intimated that I intended to reject the car under the newly enacted UK Consumer Rights Act 2015. I also contacted BMW customer services via email on Saturday morning, they responded within 10 mins expressing their sorrow and assuring me that the issue would be resolved quickly and to my satisfaction.

By 2.00pm on Saturday, and following some calm and civilised discussion, the issue was resolved with an agreement to accept a brand new factory built car to our spec / colour, with additional options at no cost, as a gesture of good will for my inconvenience. I also have the use of the X3 until our new car arrives.

Granted, I am a pretty demanding customer who knows his rights but I must say that this is a truly exceptional level of customer service from both the dealer and BMW UK.

S**T happens but my measure is how effectively that S**T is cleaned up. I am not sure what was wrong with the original car and I may never know but despite the frustration of this issue, I now have even greater brand loyalty than before.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Thanks for posting that - it is good to know issues get sorted.
You must have been disspointed/frustrated to hit a problem so soon however what a brilliant outcome. Sounds like you have a good dealer there, which must have helped in the speed of resolution and imo more than decent solution.
Hopefully that model was just a rogue build issue. Hope you enjoy the brand new one when it arrives.

Last edited by Les Paul; 02-15-2016 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Knoxyboy
Rep

Thanks Les

I agree, it is a great outcome, credit to the Dealer and BMW UK. Also, I negotiate for a living so, I guess knowing what I wanted as a resolution also helped and not least, consumer law was on my side so I could have taken my refund and walked to another marque.
      02-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Glad to hear this has worked out for you. Indeed, it is the measure of an organisation not just by how few mistakes it makes, but how well it recovers from those mistakes. If it can make you feel better and more loyal by its response, then that's an organisation with who me you will continue to deal...and tell others. That's win-win....but so many companies seem to forget this!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:28 AM   #5
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Wow, that's encouraging to hear that BMW went the extra mile to make you happy after a bad experience.

Just curious, did you check your VIN to see if the car was manufactured on a Friday or Monday? (Conventional wisdom holds that lemons are most likely to be manufactured on Friday afternoons and Monday mornings.)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Knoxyboy
Rep

No, I didnt check the build day. My guess would be a software / electronics issue rather than a mechanical assembly issue.
      02-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot
Wow, that's encouraging to hear that BMW went the extra mile to make you happy after a bad experience.

Just curious, did you check your VIN to see if the car was manufactured on a Friday or Monday? (Conventional wisdom holds that lemons are most likely to be manufactured on Friday afternoons and Monday mornings.)
SSR: Do you have your X1 back yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:41 AM   #8
Knoxyboy
Rep

No, I rejected the car and am waiting on a replacement which is due mid March.
      03-25-2016, 05:20 AM   #9
thtoothdoc
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20d Xline

Had issues with new X1 with power steering warning light coming on within 2 weeks which required recoding at the dealers and then a brake warning light .
Not such a disaster as you have had by a wide margin BUT could this be issues to come ? Currently in the process of rejecting the car but dealer has offered £1000 of accessories . Considering they are going to losing approx £3k on the car hardly seems a great deal . No offer of a replacement vehicle , which is a pity because my wife whose car it is loves it .
Appreciate 0