BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Test drive F48 VS my E84

03-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Test drive F48 VS my E84

Hi everybody, I've had the pleasure to test drive a 2016 X1 this past weekend. I'm driving a 2015 E84 with M Sport pkg.

From the start I have to say the F48 is way ahead in term of space. Any space that is ( cargo, rear seat, legroom, etc ...). So If you are planning the purchase with family needs in mind, you are at the right ... Place

Look is good. Different from my E84 for sure. More SAV than Touring. People will like it no doubt.

Is the interior a real upgrade from the first model ? I'm not sure. My actual 2015 M Sport is my second X1. I had the displeasure of being involved in a crash last summer with my original 2012 which was fitted with the sport pkg ( no M sport was available then).

I would say the interior of my 2015 is "special". It is way more sportier than the 2016 I have tested. Right this model was XLine and not M Sport so I will have to double check with an M sport version. The overall feeling was that the additional space combine with the lower console and the upper seat position feels more "generic suv" than BMW'sque. The E84 let me feels more in touch with the car and the road beneath.

Same for the steering, even in Sport mode. The 2016 steering is precise and quick but I really do like my heavier rack ( way ...heavier in fact) which is also giving me better feedback.

Engine feels really less powerful also. You don't feel the grunt ( torque ) under hard acceleration. This was surprising to me considering both engine have the same torque output at around 258 pounds/feet. Maybe it's the lowest horse power but I notice the difference at low range so it has to be the torque. Otherwise the 0-60 was good and quick but noisy. Not at all like the old engine which is more ( to me ) like a 6 cyl feeling under hard acceleration. This one feels really like a generic 4 cyl. So for me, this was a deception.

The new 8 speed automatic was doing great changing gear "up". "Down" was another story though. In manual, from 3rd to 2nd and 1st gear the transmission is jerky. I wasn't able to do a complete stop gracefully without shaking the car. A little annoying. Leaving the selector in Drive mode was way better but not an option as I really like to shift.

On the road, you will have a commanding view if not a sporty feeling. So again, if you think about getting a sporty family car, you should check the 328i Touring. This new X1 will satisfy your family needs but it will do so without the old sporty feeling of the E84.

Chassis balance is good, you do feel body roll when cornering with enthusiasm but this is no CR-V. You will feel BMW genetics. I prefer the old XDrive 60-40 rear-front than this new Front wheel drive reactive XDrive. The E84 feels planted on the road by comparison. The optional 18" 255/40 Rear / 225/45 front on the E84 are making a huge difference here compared with the 225/45/R19. The power transfer when exiting a curve is noticeable at the least.

On the upside, the panoramic roof is gigantic. Visibility not a problem and the rearview camera more refined than on my actual 2015.

A great car overall but it is not as fun and engaging to drive than the E84.
I will have to check and test drive a 2016 fitted with the M Sport but from what I saw this week-end this new X1 is not for me. The downsides in driving dynamics are to high for the space benefits. Probably the least "Ultimate driving machine" BMW of the lineup right now in Canada / USA.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Appreciate reading your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Sad to say that the BMW Exx series are the last of the dying breed of "ultimate driving machines".
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
Sad to say that the BMW Exx series are the last of the dying breed of "ultimate driving machines".
Oh I won't go this far ... I have driven the 428i / 435i two years ago and they were a blast !!! The 2 series is also a hell of a sport coupe.

So the " Fxx " are actually right on target with the "Ultimate driving machine" moniker.

I'm just saying the new X1 is no sport ute anymore. I'ts a great all around Activity vehicle but it is not sporty as the E84 was.

I would go for the X3 if I was in the market for a new BMW SAV. Unfortunately the price range for the X3 is way over my budget for a brand new car with premium and M sport pkg. The two options in Canada must be taken together and will rip you of around 9000 $ before taxes ... And don't foreget that we Canadians are paying 2145 $ for freight and pdi !!!! A nonsense compared to what USA has to pay ...Lucky you guys ! Hope you know it ...

So I would have to go for a certified X3 or a certified X1 E84.

Anyway, I just want to say BMW still got it but unfortunately not with the new X1 ... No UDM with this new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Enjoyed reading your comments as I had a 2014 X1 and the f48 x1. I agree with most of your assements and understand your angle but I personally ended up hating my msport e84 and only kept it for about a year. It was a very sporty car but the interior was boring and outdated when compared to BMW's current interior styling and tech. Also, the ride was pretty harsh even with the 18's. I had the car in the shop for constantly creaking door sills. I think the E84 was a great car if you wanted a wagon that was good sporting fun (hydraulic steering in the 28i) and had the new 4 cylinder turbo and was only occasionally used for hauling things and people. I think the new X1 is a much better overall package offering more versatility for cargo and passengers while still offering fun driving dynamics, a smoother turbo 4, great fuel economy and new technology that was never offered on the previous X1.

So I guess it comes down to what you want the car to do. If driving dynamics is the number one item on your priority list and everything else was just icing, the e84 would be a great choice (although it could be argued that the 328 wagon would be a better choice.)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #6
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
So I guess it comes down to what you want the car to do. If driving dynamics is the number one item on your priority list and everything else was just icing, the e84 would be a great choice (although it could be argued that the 328 wagon would be a better choice.)
Exactly. Driving dynamics were superior with the E84 and practicality, looks and comfort are better with the F48.

My point is as a BMW enthusiast I would have liked BMW keeping rear wheel drive XDrive and sportiness in the new X1 as one day I will have to find a replacement for my beloved 2015 X1 ... The new pkg is not up to the task of giving me a Ultimate driving machine feeling.

The 328i Touring should be on the list but I prefer the macho side of the E84 X1 in terms of appearance than the wagon look of the touring. But hey, that is just my taste. Maybe a 3 GT ??? Man that one is a long shot ... I'm not sold on this one either ... Not sure if it's good looking or not and it's been what 2-3 years ...
Appreciate 0