BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW F48 X1 OEM LED Headlights

08-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Karter_Brazy
Eurosteps
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F06 / MB W212 / BMW F48

Exclamation BMW F48 X1 OEM LED Headlights

Hey y’all. My lil family sav F48 X1 comes with halogen headlights. To be honest, I can’t stand them. But anyways, I came across a pair of used BMW F48 X1 OEM LED headlights with ballast for sale.

For all the X1 owners who had done the halogen to OEM route LED headlight conversion, my question is that are the wire connections plug and play? Also do I need some type of coding as well?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:13 AM   #2
The Novacat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 XDrive M Sport

I haven't had to do this myself, but I believe you will need to change options in Bimmercode to force the ECU to recognise the bulbs as being LEDS rather than Halogen. You can also turn off the Active Monitoring for each bulb within the same menu. You will get dashboard error codes otherwise.

The headlight units themselves should be a relatively easy swap as they will use the same fittings.

I saw a video a few days ago on Youtube which covered the 'Top 10 things changed in Bimmercode', I can't find the correct one now but one of them covered the bulb code changing process. You don't need to go into Expert mode, they are in the standard options.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Novacat View Post
I haven't had to do this myself, but I believe you will need to change options in Bimmercode to force the ECU to recognise the bulbs as being LEDS rather than Halogen. You can also turn off the Active Monitoring for each bulb within the same menu. You will get dashboard error codes otherwise.

The headlight units themselves should be a relatively easy swap as they will use the same fittings.

I saw a video a few days ago on Youtube which covered the 'Top 10 things changed in Bimmercode', I can't find the correct one now but one of them covered the bulb code changing process. You don't need to go into Expert mode, they are in the standard options.
Just be aware in the UK depending on when the MOT is due (not in your case I presume) they check to see if the Halogen bulbs have been changed to LED. If they have and they see it, it becomes an instant fail, because the light scatter is totally different with the Halogen headlight unit as to the normal LED unit.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F06_GC View Post
Hey y'all. My lil family sav F48 X1 comes with halogen headlights. To be honest, I can't stand them. But anyways, I came across a pair of used BMW F48 X1 OEM LED headlights with ballast for sale.
If this set comprises the full LED reflector units, bulbs and lenses, undamaged, that would obviate any concerns regarding illegal 'dazzling' scatter, assuming you can manage the recoding
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Just be aware in the UK depending on when the MOT is due (not in your case I presume) they check to see if the Halogen bulbs have been changed to LED. If they have and they see it, it becomes an instant fail, because the light scatter is totally different with the Halogen headlight unit as to the normal LED unit.
OP is referring to retrofitting the OEM headlight assembly, not just a bulb replacement. Assuming that the said units are functioning OEM units, they should be good from the mechanical aspect.

I haven’t dub deeper into the into the case for the X2, but the retrofit has been done on other F chassis BMWs.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      09-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
link_sy
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by F06_GC View Post
Hey y’all. My lil family sav F48 X1 comes with halogen headlights. To be honest, I can’t stand them. But anyways, I came across a pair of used BMW F48 X1 OEM LED headlights with ballast for sale.

For all the X1 owners who had done the halogen to OEM route LED headlight conversion, my question is that are the wire connections plug and play? Also do I need some type of coding as well?

Thank you
Would love to know how this turned out. Looking to do the same myself
Appreciate 0