BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) ACC Retrofit questions

02-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

ACC Retrofit questions

Has anybody done a retrofit and added the ACC to their X1?
From what I was reading you need the camera and the switch on the steering wheel (and VO code)

I have the camera system already installed (collision, pedestrian, and Lane change). Before I spend the money getting those controls I wanted to see if anybody else has successfully done it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePulse64 View Post
From what I was reading you need the camera and the switch on the steering wheel (and VO code)

I have the camera system already installed (collision, pedestrian, and Lane change). Before I spend the money getting those controls I wanted to see if anybody else has successfully done it.
If you look in realoem.com, you will be able to find the parts that are included with the ACC option. I recall there are quite a few parts. I think it might be difficult or at least expensive to refit this option.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
xlr8it
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 20d, SLK55AMG

Quote:

I would not waste my money on the retrofit, my car has the ACC from factory and i switch it over to normal cruise 90% of the time, the camera based system doesn't like rain, sun, boats, bikes, trucks, trailers, fog , dirt or anything else that will interfere with a clear view if the car in front. It gets confused and disengages , becomes very annoying . I used to have an Audi Q7 that was 10 years old and had a radar guided system and worked 100% of the time, BMW system really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8it View Post
Quote:

I would not waste my money on the retrofit, my car has the ACC from factory and i switch it over to normal cruise 90% of the time, the camera based system doesn't like rain, sun, boats, bikes, trucks, trailers, fog , dirt or anything else that will interfere with a clear view if the car in front. It gets confused and disengages , becomes very annoying . I used to have an Audi Q7 that was 10 years old and had a radar guided system and worked 100% of the time, BMW system really sucks.
I wasn't sure if it was just replacing the steering wheels and code the car would suffice. Or if it more parts were involved
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: I added 5FD to my VO and coded Kafas2, no errors and car showed references to ACC in the iDrive. I can't VO code the kombi module because it fails, mentioning multiple values.
I went and enabled a few ibrake options (in kombi) and got a frontal collision warning message in the idrive but my frontal collision warning is still active. I'm thinking it might throw that because I don't have the ACC switch installed, yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Update: I added 5FD to my VO and coded Kafas2, no errors and car showed references to ACC in the iDrive. I can't VO code the kombi module because it fails, mentioning multiple values.
I went and enabled a few ibrake options (in kombi) and got a frontal collision warning message in the idrive but my frontal collision warning is still active. I'm thinking it might throw that because I don't have the ACC switch installed, yet.
Hi
I thought VO changes would be to change 5ASA TO 5ATA and remove S544A.
On F48 I thought 5DFA is a subset of 5ATA , namely 5ATA is 5ASA+5DFA
?
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Hi
I thought VO changes would be to change 5ASA TO 5ATA and remove S544A.
On F48 I thought 5DFA is a subset of 5ATA , namely 5ATA is 5ASA+5DFA
?
Let me pull a full list of VO codes on my f48. I'll try and do it tonight
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

On my VO Codes I have:
1AG, 1CA, 205, 248, 249, 255, 258, 28A, 2VB, 2VG, 302, 313, 316, 319, 322, 3AG, 3AT, 3L8, 402, 420, 423, 430, 431, 459, 473, 488, 493, 494, 4F7, 4NE, 508, 534, 544, 563, 575, 5A4, 5AS, 5DP, 610, 645, 650, 655, 676, 697, 6AC, 6AE, 6AK, 6AM, 6AP, 6NS, 6UP, 775, 7HW, 823, 842, 845, 850, 853, 8KL, 8R9, 8S4, 8SL, 8SM, 8TN, 925, 927, 992, 9AA, 9C8

I added 5DF and left all others.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #9
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To provide an update to anybody following along... I received the steering wheel controls and finally was able to get them installed (Thanks for the help MJE60 )
I VO coded with 5DF but kept getting an error saying the Frontal collision warning and pedestrian warning was disabled. I tried to remove 544 and re-code, no luck. Tried to change 5AS to 5AT and recode with 5DF.. Still no luck

Tomorrow I'm going to try adding 541, maybe with 5DF and see if that helps any.
If anybody has any ideas please let me know
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 02:56 AM   #10
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
To provide an update to anybody following along... I received the steering wheel controls and finally was able to get them installed (Thanks for the help MJE60 )
I VO coded with 5DF but kept getting an error saying the Frontal collision warning and pedestrian warning was disabled. I tried to remove 544 and re-code, no luck. Tried to change 5AS to 5AT and recode with 5DF.. Still no luck

Tomorrow I'm going to try adding 541, maybe with 5DF and see if that helps any.
If anybody has any ideas please let me know
Looking at the VO codes in your FA adding 5DF (ACC) should not have touched underlying fdl within driver assist functions. FCW & Pedestrian warning imply driver assist fdl issues. In short I agree with your PM to me, namely update your psdzdata

Whilst I think this is not cause of the errors, if you add 5DF (ACC) then 544 (CC with brake function) should probably be removed to prevent duplicate coding. However this is my assumption, I have not checked.

Once psdzdata update done, imho
VO code changes to your original FA are just - > remove 5AS and 544 and add 5AT + 5DF
Good luck

Last edited by MJE60; 03-14-2019 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Incorrect info
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So it's looking like ESys just doesn't have some mapping correct. I've been going thru the files and doing some comparison. So far I've gotten it so it'll say the fcw and ped is restricted not inactive. It says it won't auto brake. I'm thinking once I get that cleared up it should let me activate ACC.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #12
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

For anybody possibly following along -- giving an update.
Even though my car has 5AS and 5DP (Pedestrian detection, FCW, LDW, Parking Assist) apparently there is another ECU that is used with ACC+ -- The ECU is SAS, it's installed next to the PMA ECU in the rear of the car.
If you don't have ACC+ then everything is handled by KAFAS and DSC2, if you have ACC+ (5AT) then it utilizes SAS and Kafas to calculate everything.
I'm going to check the wiring in the car tomorrow and see if its prewired or if a wire would need to be ran from the BDC_BODY/Kafas unit. If it's prewired I found the ECU for $250, if it has to be wired I'm not entirely sure how to handle it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #13
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Final update

I ended up pulling the back lining out and checking for the SAS ECU, unfortunately it's not there nor is there wiring for it. I have no clue oh how to wire that so I'm pretty much DOA.
Taking apart the rear I did find some other wiring not hooked to anything that makes me wonder what it's for. Anybody know?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #14
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I ended up pulling the back lining out and checking for the SAS ECU, unfortunately it's not there nor is there wiring for it. I have no clue oh how to wire that so I'm pretty much DOA.
Taking apart the rear I did find some other wiring not hooked to anything that makes me wonder what it's for. Anybody know?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #15
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Great work, keep going. I think getting SAS module with lead and connector would solve the problem (one of those plugs is looking for a home). So,
Possibly factory tow bar electrics?, or
I suspect rear EDC would hook up into loom somewhere in that area (and then into SAS also). Park assist module in rear roof could possibly route through right hand trunk recess also. Looking at ISTA I think there is aux comms signal booster located in rear also (all these are options so would explain some empty plugs/connectors.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-12-2019 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #16
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great work, keep going. I think getting SAS module with lead and connector would solve the problem (one of those plugs is looking for a home). So,
Possibly factory tow bar electrics?, or
I suspect rear EDC would hook up into loom somewhere in that area (and then into SAS also). Park assist module in rear roof could possibly route through right hand trunk recess also. Looking at ISTA I think there is aux comms signal booster located in rear also (all these are options so would explain some empty plugs/connectors.
True, It would be weird there is a connector for tow bar electronics but nothing for the SAS module. I may reach out to some of the retrofit companies and see if maybe they have any experience installing a SAS module and wiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
Jonnad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 f48

Just purchased a 2018 x1 with the drivers assistance package. I'm also looking into retrofitting. Any news? I was really hoping this would just be a code change since the optical system is already in there.

Last edited by Jonnad; 03-14-2019 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: *
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnad View Post
Just purchased a 2018 x1 with the drivers assistance package. I'm also looking into retrofitting. Any news? I was really hoping this would just be a code change since the optical system is already in there.
I assume you were hoping to retrofit ACC (active cruise control).

The short answer is that you would as a minimum require new steering wheel switches and if you do not have EDC (electronic damper control) you would also require a SAS control unit (and cabling to fit it). It appears BMW have routed ACC to work through a different (and rare) control unit to other functions served by the KAFAS camera. One can only suspect it was in order to make sure it was not just a simple code change. PulsePulse64 is investigating whether there is a socket lurking somewhere in the wiring loom into which a SAS module could be plugged. We await his findings, he is to be commended for his efforts.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #19
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you have the SAS ECU, KAFAS camera you'd be set to go with the switch and coding. Unfortunately I'm at a standstill until I can find a way to get the SAS ECU added. The i3 SAS ECU would work and can be found for about $250. The issue is getting it wired in.

You can tell if you have SAS by hooking up e-sys and checking your ECU list or by removing your rear trim (on the right) and you'd see it bolted right under the rear window.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #20
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The short answer is that you would as a minimum require new steering wheel switches and if you do not have EDC (electronic damper control) you would also require a SAS control unit (and cabling to fit it). It appears BMW have routed ACC to work through a different (and rare) control unit to other functions served by the KAFAS camera. One can only suspect it was in order to make sure it was not just a simple code change. PulsePulse64 is investigating whether there is a socket lurking somewhere in the wiring loom into which a SAS module could be plugged. We await his findings, he is to be commended for his efforts.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah If you have the damper control chances you'd have the SAS ECU.
Unfortunately I don't have much extra to share I've looked to see if I could find wiring out of an F48 that had it but that's been next to impossible. I may end up looking to see if I could get the wiring from an i3 since it's similar.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 04:26 AM   #21
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Is 'normal' cruise control still fitted when ACC is optioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8it View Post
Hi,
I just ordered an X2 with ACC but haven't received it yet. Do you know if you can still use the normal cruise control with braking, instead of the camera-based ACC?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #22
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Hi,
I just ordered an X2 with ACC but haven't received it yet. Do you know if you can still use the normal cruise control with braking, instead of the camera-based ACC?

cheers
Yes
Appreciate 0