BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tailgate struts rusting?

02-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Car is just 6 months old. Is this normal? should I get then checked?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
Car is just 6 months old. Is this normal? should I get then checked?
anyone??
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Questions I would ask you are:
1. Was the rust already there prior to you buying the car?
2. Is the car truly only 6 months old?
3. Was the car exposed to the elements for long periods of time?
4. Are there any leaks that you can detect?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808X1 View Post
Quote:

1- I didn't notice this.
2- Yes it was manufactured in August 2018
3- It's parked in open and I live near the sea. but shouldn't BMW have strong protection against rust?
4- No there are no leaks, it just makes noise while opening and closing the boot. probably because of rusty joint.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #5
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You can take it back to dealer and see if they will warranty it, but that usually pertains to rust from inside out and not from outside in; however, living by the ocean brings a whole new level of rusts due to salt in the air.

You got nothing to lose by taking it to the dealer and see what they say, except maybe time if it's a NO.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 01:49 AM   #6
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can take it back to dealer and see if they will warranty it, but that usually pertains to rust from inside out and not from outside in; however, living by the ocean brings a whole new level of rusts due to salt in the air.

You got nothing to lose by taking it to the dealer and see what they say, except maybe time if it's a NO.
but my question is, that spot is normal for rusting? can you check on your car if it's rusted ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:45 AM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Hello
I have checked my X1 tailgate struts for you. My X1 was build in 08/2017 and I took delivery in 12/2017, it has always been parked outside (not in a garage). My car had therefore been parked outside for minimum 14 months but probably as much as 17 months. There is absolutely no sign of rust on my struts. The area showing rust on your struts is clean and black on my car with small amounts of grease still visible. The position of the struts is inside the tailgate seals and as such I would not expect them to rust.
I cannot tell you whether a warranty claim is valid or would be successful. As you live near the sea and salt spray carries a long way in wind, it is possible you got salty water blown onto the struts whilst opening the tailgate. Just once could be enough as salt really attacks metal.
If it were my car, I would gently brush away (soft paint brush) at the rust, wash the area with lots of clean water, dry and then treat with a rust treatment (e.g. Kurust which comes in a small jar with a brush built into the handle) . The treatment will chemically alter the rust into a protective coat. Once treated and dry, I would then apply some Vaseline or grease into the ball joints at the base of the strut and also a gentle coat around problem area. The rust is light and poses no structural risk but I would not want it getting worse. I would have the rest of the car checked thoroughly and possibly invest in “wax oil” treatment and/or additional under seal.
Best wishes
Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #8
MikeUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d M Sport

Jan 2016 build..no sign of any corrosion on struts. BMW should sort it under warranty.Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Took delivery of mine end 3/18 and no sign of any rusting at each end of both tailgate struts.
Just one thought - do you put your car through a commercial car wash, because those businesses do tend to use quite invasive cleaners so they can get cars through a quickly as possible. The most obvious indicator of that is rusting wheel hubs, where the inner part of the wheel flange butts up against the brake discs, but I wonder fi it might just have the same effect on the tailgate struts.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
Quote:

but my question is, that spot is normal for rusting? can you check on your car if it's rusted ?
I have no rust in that area on my 17 X1. Just take it to dealer and see what they can do.

I would agree with MJE60 about fixing it if dealer unwilling to warranty it. From the looks of the pix you provided, it appears to be a surface rust and a relatively easy DIY to clean it up as MJE60 outlined.
Appreciate 0