BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) UK X1 SatNav Update to version EUROPE Way 2019-1

12-27-2018, 02:16 AM   #1
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

UK X1 SatNav Update to version EUROPE Way 2019-1

Just noticed, via BMW Download Manager, that an update to ‘Road Map EUROPE Way 2019-1’ is now available in the UK. Download size is 14.17GB.
To get this, you have to have the BMW Download Manager software installed on your PC or, as in my case, iMac. Shall see how this goes and install it later today via a USB dongle (I believe a 16GB dongle should suffice but, to avoid issues, I use a 64GB dongle.
I haven’t a clue if, or when, this may be available via the car’s onboard SIM card download, or if it’s available for immediate download outside the UK via the Download Manager application.

Last edited by oakey46; 12-27-2018 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Mine was 3hrs 20mins in the PCC then about 10 mins in car .
File was 13.6gb .
Never had a update over the car system
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I tried earlier after seeing your post and it still only offered me the 2018-1 version

Maybe later this evening... These USB map updates included with the ConnectedDrive package don't seem to be all that great value when they're happening once a year, if you're lucky...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveL View Post
I tried earlier after seeing your post and it still only offered me the 2018-1 version

Maybe later this evening... These USB map updates included with the ConnectedDrive package don't seem to be all that great value when they're happening once a year, if you're lucky...
Really strange because, as I've said elsewhere on the forum, I've now been able to download something like 4 updates, but none arrived via the car's built in SIM card. Maybe that's because the 'system' knows I have downloaded updates via my computer and then install from USB, which obviously avoids network overload. My Connected Drive account with BMW shows I can update via 'Over the Air' or via USB until sometime mid 2021, shortly after the X1s third birthday. I wonder, CliveL, what expiry date for being able to get updates is showing on your Connected Drive account? Anyway, hope you can soon get the latest update, which still doesn't show a much revised roads layout approaching M1 Jct24 near Nottingham, where it still thinks I'm driving through fields!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #5
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Quote:

This is being discussed on the uk forum at present.

It seems absolutly no system as to when different cars get updates.

I have a car built Feb 2018 and it had 2017-3 originally,since updated to 2018-4 and today to 2019-1.

Always done via pc and memory stick.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Really strange because, as I've said elsewhere on the forum, I've now been able to download something like 4 updates, but none arrived via the car's built in SIM card. Maybe that's because the 'system' knows I have downloaded updates via my computer and then install from USB, which obviously avoids network overload. My Connected Drive account with BMW shows I can update via 'Over the Air' or via USB until sometime mid 2021, shortly after the X1s third birthday. I wonder, CliveL, what expiry date for being able to get updates is showing on your Connected Drive account? Anyway, hope you can soon get the latest update, which still doesn't show a much revised roads layout approaching M1 Jct24 near Nottingham, where it still thinks I'm driving through fields!
I'm eligible for USB map updates until the 30th of July 2019, which is the 3rd anniversary of my car being built/registered. I don't think I can get the updates over the air, only via USB. I've had a couple in the past, maybe two in 2017, but only the one so far at the start of 2018 so the data is a year old now... I've used the BMW Download Manager each time, both on PC and Mac, and all I still get offered for my 2016 X1 after logging in is the "2018-1" version. I don't know if the satnav hardware or software changed significantly in the last couple of years that might mean it uses a different mapping software package, or even provider, but there certainly seems to be some variance in who gets what...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:19 AM   #7
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
I'm eligible for USB map updates until the 30th of July 2019, which is the 3rd anniversary of my car being built/registered. I don't think I can get the updates over the air, only via USB. I've had a couple in the past, maybe two in 2017, but only the one so far at the start of 2018 so the data is a year old now... I've used the BMW Download Manager each time, both on PC and Mac, and all I still get offered for my 2016 X1 after logging in is the "2018-1" version. I don't know if the satnav hardware or software changed significantly in the last couple of years that might mean it uses a different mapping software package, or even provider, but there certainly seems to be some variance in who gets what...
My X1 is April 2016 build and I am in the same situation as Clive - about one year since last update
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:24 AM   #8
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
My 3-year updates expired on 23rd December this year, with the last update (2018-1) being issued in November 2017. It seems that the original nav system has been abandoned https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...es/mad0260.gif
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #9
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
My 3-year updates expired on 23rd December this year, with the last update (2018-1) being issued in November 2017. It seems that the original nav system has been abandoned https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/im...es/mad0260.gif
Probably something to do with the update to iDrive 6, which is what I have on my X1 and therefore enables current updates. Presumably, despite what it may say on a Connected Drive account, if the system is updated (next time to iDrive 7), that will prevent further downloads until an (unlikely?) update is installed to iDrive 7 on the specific X1. In which case we are all stuffed?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Probably something to do with the update to iDrive 6, which is what I have on my X1 and therefore enables current updates. Presumably, despite what it may say on a Connected Drive account, if the system is updated (next time to iDrive 7), that will prevent further downloads until an (unlikely?) update is installed to iDrive 7 on the specific X1. In which case we are all stuffed?
Interesting and worrying. My X1 has 08/17 build date (basic nav not nav plus). On checking connected drive it was apparent no free updates to mapping were provided, just the option of annual subscription. I checked my installed version which was road map Europe way 2017-2. I finally bought the subscription early Jan this year, which was problematic and needed BMW “connected drive team” technical support but after approx 2 weeks the links worked and it offered me “Europe way 2019-1” My car has Entrynav2 HU which mimics the evo ID6 menu. Interestly once the subscription was processed it offered both “remote” and “usb download” updates. I checked and was told that remote update via car sim is only active for professional navigation and presumably “Nav plus” (connected drive doesn’t appear to differentiate at subscription level- your car system does). For X1 (f48) business navigation “Nav” map updates are via usb & download, I understand “Nav plus” allows single country only OTA update.
With regard to problems people are having with only being offered old map versions it looks like early/earlier build f48’s had different map software (“route” mapping rather than “Way” mapping). BMW, changed the map software and appear to have dropped free 3 year updates at the same time. These vehicles will normally have Entrynav HU. This group looks to be getting a poor service from BMW. You are entitled to map updates and should be able to get them. The f48 basic media and Nav head units changed To ENTRYNAV2 HU in 07/2017 and the new “Way” maps are updated 4 times a year. Sorry you are having this hassle and makes me wonder what horrors lurk for us all especially now that BMW appear to see software as an on-going revenue stream!
good luck and let us know.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-17-2019 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
‘Over the air” map updates are only available for professional navigation packages. Nav and Nav plus (business navigation/basic navigation) only have “continent maps” updating through download and USB. Nav plus packages can get single country updates OTA (e.g UK or US) but if owners want to update wider map such as Europe or NorthAmerica it still has to be done by USB. I checked this with the BMW connected drive team (as after I paid, it appeared to offer both on the portal). None of this is explicitly stated, I checked various guides, presumably BMW like potential buyers to think they will get a premium “over the air sevice” whereas cost saving appears the Prime motivator for them these days. The download/usb method works but it sucks! And doesn’t feel premium.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-17-2019 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
Edtheted
Edtheted
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 1.8 sDrive xLine auto

Garage List
This is the response I received from BMW when I complained that I could not down load the 2019-1

"Good Morning Mr Priest

Thank you for your email and sorry for the delayed response

After looking into this further and speaking to the map development team, we can confirm that there will only be 1-2 map updates available for your vehicle per year due to the head unit that is installed in the car.

The next Map update for your navigation system will be available around June 2019 and will be obtainable for download via your ConnectedDrive portal through our website. This will be the 2019-1 version.

For clarification purposes, please note that the number of available map data downloads varies for each BMW model depending on the head unit that is installed in the vehicle.

We realise this may cause some disappointment and an inconvenience until the map data is available, but hopefully this clarifies the situation.

We can only ask for your continued patience until the next download is available.

In the meantime if there's anything else you'd like assistance with, please let us know.

Kind regards

BMW Connected Drive"
      04-26-2019, 03:27 AM   #13
alpinaconvert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016 Xdrive Xline

Can anyone explain to me why I have only received (via download manager) map update 2018-1 in July 2018. My car is a Dec 2016 Xline, X drive 2.0 Petrol. Yet others have mentioned that on similar models, they have had "newer" updates. Is it because satnavs have been improved on later models and my version is unable to accept these?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:49 AM   #14
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinaconvert View Post
Can anyone explain to me why I have only received (via download manager) map update 2018-1 in July 2018. My car is a Dec 2016 Xline, X drive 2.0 Petrol. Yet others have mentioned that on similar models, they have had "newer" updates. Is it because satnavs have been improved on later models and my version is unable to accept these?
See this thread - https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1593490

Road Map Europe ROUTE 2019-1 is due out about June - but don't hold your breath - it keeps getting put back. My 3 year map updates run out this weekend - I will not be renewing.

Later models have a different head unit and get different maps - these are getting regular updates - those of us on ROUTE have been waiting over 15 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 04:56 AM   #15
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinaconvert View Post
See my post #10 above. Basically you had a first generation Entrynav HU which was changed in 07/2017 to ENTRYNAV2. Because cars with earlier Entrynav had free map updates and different “route” maps compared to later “way” maps BMW realised that they didn’t have to bother providing updates. Despite my cynicism, I am advice “Europe route 2019-2” is now available for download!

Later “way” maps are on an annual subscription service so get updates 4 times a year but please note that for the U.K the mapping is imo old and out of date. There are several junctions near me which changed 4 years ago and have not changed on BMW poor quality “business Nav”. My suspicion is that “way” maps may get issued 4 times a year but are in fact only “partially” updated annually at best. The appalling quality of the BMW mapping is apparent to anyone who compares it to phone apps let alone TomTom, Garmin etc. BMW appear to have gone with the cheapest option they could! My recommendation is do not bother buying updates more than once every few years.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-26-2019 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0