02-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #23
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Hi
I switched my 6.5” touch display for a genuine bmw oem 8.8” version last week and am absolutely delighted.
Nice work. As for the touch controller, I've never used it other than to discover, 'hmm, that's a shame'. It might be better on a LHD for right handers.

If you ever work out how to go from ID5 to ID6, share ;-) As us ID5ers seem to have hit the end of any more USB satnav updates.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #24
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

@jsdh89..

Hi
I am lucky enough to have later ENTRYNAV2 (mimics id6). I saw (on thread where someone had contacted senior BMW person) that the for earlier F48 HUs a “route map’ update is scheduled for March 2019, presumably they are waiting for all of the 3 year free update periods to expire before providing an update. Fingers crossed for you all.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2019 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
SHKM814.50
      02-20-2019, 04:34 AM   #25
SHKM8
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
if any advice needed on fitting just ask
Can you please share how you got the dash trim off? I'm worried I'll damage the LED lighting.

Also did you have to get the CID trim too?:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...d/51459292128/
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #26
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankM8 View Post
Can you please share how you got the dash trim off? I'm worried I'll damage the LED lighting.

Also did you have to get the CID trim too?:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...d/51459292128/
No, I didn’t buy the trim, instead I stretched the existing adapter trim (see below) but if cost is not great buy the 8.8” size. There is only about 5mm diff in width. Make sure you use plastic trim removal tool, not metal, however only needed for the dash fascia trim.

The things I found tricky and advice;
1. In order to access the CID screen screws you will have to remove the fascia from the (radio/ac multi instrument display) as well as strip along front of dash. Start by removing radio/control fascia first, it is held in place by 4 clips & 3 studs. The 3 studs clip into the dash strip. Start at bottom and pull straight out (not too far as wire & plugs). You do not need to disconnect leads, just let it rest on centre consol.
2. For dash trim, start by passenger door, it pulls straight out but work your way along. The air vents will come out with the fascia strip, you will need to unclip the two leads for hazard/assist buttons. Two centre clips will probably be missing on the fascia trim in case you think you lost them, BMW saving a cent in the factory!
3. The screen is held in by two posi screws. Be careful, it is easy to lose them both. Make a tray out of Tin foil to place in gap between CID and the HU.
4. You do not need to remove the HU. Once CID screws are removed gently pull out, the cable will come out by about 6 inches which is enough to rotate the CID to get access to the plug in the back.
4. The plug is difficult to remove and the plastic is soft. There is a small clip on one side, press on and use a lflat blade screwdriver in lip at top to prise up the plug, it separates about 2/3 way down length but join can be difficult to see.
5. Once CID is unplugged, remove the tray in sits in. Take this indoors to work on or buy a replacement 8.8” size. If you use 6.5” tray you will have to adjust it slightly.
The 6.5” screen tray will need to be widened by a few mm (1/8th inch) either side. I used a hot air gun to soften the plastic and used the 8.8” screen to stretch the tray. I also used heated bolt (flame torch) of correct diameter to push the bottom edge of side lips down and sideways. With care the 8.8” screen will fit without showing any distortion or damage to the tray.
6. Refit, again take special care not to lose screws (tin foil tray).
7. Code new screen, it will not power up until coded. I have detailed the 4 fdl coding changes needed on a couple of different threads.
8. If it does power up and shows “no signal” (rare) then you have a problem and will need bmw unlock code (parts protection). Seller on eBay provides unlock service.
9. Send me a pic when it’s done. I would also be grateful if you clicked the appreciate tab on this reply.

P.s coding changes.
Using Bimmercode in expert mode HU NBT 3005 display_pip_config section
Change CID_Display_res from 800x480 to 1280x480
Change CID_Display_ size from 6.5 to 8.8
Now go out and enter 3001 section and find
Display_Variante and change from schmal (German for narrow) to breites (wide)
Now go into 3006 Nav section
Find Display_Resolution and change from 800x480 to 1280x480
In brief 4 coding changes in 3 separate section of NBT HU ecu
All changes require expert mode.
Screen works after first two code changes, nav will work also but you need to change res in nav section to get full screen effect in map view and finally section 3005 change is needed otherwise idrive home screen will only show two menu icons (like in 6.5 display) rather than 3.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 4
NJDK19.50
SHKM814.50
      02-25-2019, 03:59 AM   #27
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Extended the idrive part of the Android 10,25 aftermarket screen using Bimmercode

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #28
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontiablanco View Post
Hello, my car is an F10 of the year 2011 with CIC system and had the small screen of 6.5. I have put an android screen of 10.25. Is there any way to be able to encode to set the resolution of my screen to 8.8? Has someone managed to encode that screen size in CIC system? I have been told that it can not.
Hola
You may be better asking this question to the F10 coding experts on the Bimmerfest coding forum. It is a sister site so your Bimmerpost login will work. They have experts on CIC and also a F10 owners section. I have given link to the Coding forum, someone will definitely be able to answer your question.
Best wishes

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=175

This site is for BMW X1 (F48) so we have different Head Units to your car
Appreciate 1
SHKM814.50
      03-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #29
88tuning.id
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E39 520i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontiablanco View Post
Hello, my car is an F10 of the year 2011 with CIC system and had the small screen of 6.5. I have put an android screen of 10.25. Is there any way to be able to encode to set the resolution of my screen to 8.8? Has someone managed to encode that screen size in CIC system? I have been told that it can not.

Hi,

can you make sure whether your car got HU_Entry or HU_ENTRYNAV?

if your car has HU_ENTRYNAV, it can be coded on the module these two parameters:

1. Display_Variente: breites_display
2. Display_resolution: 8.8_1280x480

Hope this helps
i can assist you via teamviewer if you need help.

T
      06-27-2019, 05:08 AM   #30
SergeyM
Registered
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 M sport

Hello! Can i make this change on X1 2019?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #31
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2018

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daforce007 View Post
Newbie question here... How exactly do these aftermarket screens work? Do they pair with your phone via USB cable? or do you need to put your phone in tethering mode, and use the car's screen to connect to the wifi?
Hi
In brief, additional cabling via adapter allows the new unit to plug into the car's existing wiring loom. A separate control box with android software provides additional functionality (such as CarPlay). The android box basically feeds into the idrive system as an aux input, so you can switch between idrive ordinary menu and functions and the android software functionality. Idrive fdl coding changes for screen size and resolution allow idrive software to work using larger screen. The advantage is you are not pirating bmw software or trying to "hack/crack bmw CarPlay or other app integration software, these functions are instead all are licenced android versions. Given BMW are now Scr*w*ng buyers with annual licences for CarPlay instead of one off lifetime charges, it also saves annual running costs .
Please note, I have not fitted an aftermarket screen/system and cannot comment on how reliable they are. Most appear to originate out of China.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by daforce007 View Post
Newbie question here... How exactly do these aftermarket screens work? Do they pair with your phone via USB cable? or do you need to put your phone in tethering mode, and use the car's screen to connect to the wifi?
Hi
In brief, additional cabling via adapter allows the new unit to plug into the car's existing wiring loom. A separate control box with android software provides additional functionality (such as CarPlay). The android box basically feeds into the idrive system as an aux input, so you can switch between idrive ordinary menu and functions and the android software functionality. Idrive fdl coding changes for screen size and resolution allow idrive software to work using larger screen. The advantage is you are not pirating bmw software or trying to "hack/crack bmw CarPlay or other app integration software, these functions are instead all are licenced android versions. Given BMW are now Scr*w*ng buyers with annual licences for CarPlay instead of one off lifetime charges, it also saves annual running costs .
Please note, I have not fitted an aftermarket screen/system and cannot comment on how reliable they are. Most appear to originate out of China.
When replacing the 6.5 with 8", does the original LCD trim fit 8"?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #32
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beams View Post
No I does not fit but can be made to fit using patience and a hot air gun. The 6.5” trim needs to be stretched by approx 3mm at each end. I used a hot air gun and the larger CID to stretch the trim, I then used a 10mm bolt, heated to stretch the bottom corner at each end. Having adapted the trim the larger 8.8” CID fits perfectly and it looks 100% o.k (I.e imo no one would be able to tell). If you are not up to adapting the trim purchasing the larger size is possible and it is an easy swap.
Appreciate 2
Beams8.50
SHKM814.50
      06-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #33
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No I does not fit but can be made to fit using patience and a hot air gun. The 6.5" trim needs to be stretched by approx 3mm at each end. I used a hot air gun and the larger CID to stretch the trim, I then used a 10mm bolt, heated to stretch the bottom corner at each end. Having adapted the trim the larger 8.8" CID fits perfectly and it looks 100% o.k (I.e imo no one would be able to tell). If you are not up to adapting the trim purchasing the larger size is possible and it is an easy swap.
Thanks! Your answers helped me clear my confusions. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      09-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #34
shadowant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Hi,
and what about option S06WC (wide screen even for non navigation HU, as says BMW configurator) retrofit for F48 september 2017? I mean is it possible to install 8.8" touch screen (65508707407) for hu_entrynav2 without navigation (current 6.5" non-touch display)
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #35
fjk80
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw x435i

Guys, I am new here. My car doesn’t have backup camera. Can I get dynamic trajectory parking lines if I install one of these android screens with an aftermarket camera?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #36
Beams
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No I does not fit but can be made to fit using patience and a hot air gun. The 6.5" trim needs to be stretched by approx 3mm at each end. I used a hot air gun and the larger CID to stretch the trim, I then used a 10mm bolt, heated to stretch the bottom corner at each end. Having adapted the trim the larger 8.8" CID fits perfectly and it looks 100% o.k (I.e imo no one would be able to tell). If you are not up to adapting the trim purchasing the larger size is possible and it is an easy swap.
Do you know the 8.8 inch touch screen part number for 2018 X1?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:56 AM   #37
SHKM8
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Cool Thank you so much MJE60

Thank you so, so much MJE60, you're an actual legend!
I followed your guide, and managed to install the screen (images attached).

I didn't want to ghetto the trim, so I spent $130 to get the correct trim (I definitely overpaid, and had it shipped from Lithuania).

Funny thing is that I bought the wrong trim initially! I bought the LHD trim, but realised my mistake after it shipped (another $80 gone LOL).

Why can't other countries have the steering wheel on the correct side?

The only issue I faced was that the centre AC trim was a pain to get in/out, but I manhandled it into position.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
wcs2229170.50
      07-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #38
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankM8 View Post
Thank you so, so much MJE60, you're an actual legend!
I followed your guide, and managed to install the screen (images attached).

I didn't want to ghetto the trim, so I spent $130 to get the correct trim (I definitely overpaid, and had it shipped from Lithuania).

Funny thing is that I bought the wrong trim initially! I bought the LHD trim, but realised my mistake after it shipped (another $80 gone LOL).

Why can't other countries have the steering wheel on the correct side?

The only issue I faced was that the centre AC trim was a pain to get in/out, but I manhandled it into position.
Hi

Do you have a link to the trim?? also how do you know what side it's for?
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      07-17-2020, 03:02 PM   #39
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by link_sy View Post
Hi

Hi
The trim part for 8.8” CID (central info display) is different for left hand drive and right hand drive cars.
The part numbers are;
5145 9292128 for 8.8” CID on left hand drive cars
And
5145 9353267 for 8.8” CID on Right hand drive cars

You can check part numbers using your car VIN using realoem, the site also provided part numbers for 10.25” CID which can be retrofitted into cars with smaller screens. You can code for 10.25 display ad easily as for 8.8”. the link is

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=51459353267

Good luck

Last edited by MJE60; 07-17-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #40
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

ShankM8 , nice pics it looks great
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #41
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjk80 View Post
Guys, I am new here. My car doesn’t have backup camera. Can I get dynamic trajectory parking lines if I install one of these android screens with an aftermarket camera?
Hi
I realise this is a very late reply but yes they do have trajectory lines. You can also buy kits which use existing oem screen. I fitted one to my car it uses a loom adapter and interface box.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:40 AM   #42
link_sy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by link_sy View Post
Hi

Hi
The trim part for 8.8" CID (central info display) is different for left hand drive and right hand drive cars.
The part numbers are;
5145 9292128 for 8.8" CID on left hand drive cars
And
5145 9353267 for 8.8" CID on Right hand drive cars

You can check part numbers using your car VIN using realoem, the site also provided part numbers for 10.25" CID which can be retrofitted into cars with smaller screens. You can code for 10.25 display ad easily as for 8.8". the link is

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=51459353267

Good luck
Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:22 PM   #43
Ivan_K
Rep

After reading a lot of posts, I will dare try to replace the 6.5" with the 8.8" CID in my late 2016 X1.
Just to be sure, the HU is the same in the all early X1, they are all ENTRYNAV until 07/2017 when they became ENTRYNAV2? so, the difference between the 6.5" Business Navi and the 8.8" Navi Plus (as BMW calls it) is just the larger display, the HU is the same, it's ENTRYNAV right?

So, I just have to find the proper CID version for my car (using realoem.com), and it is basically comes to swapping the 6.5" with the 8.8" and doing the coding part with the Bimmercode as MJE60 explained.

MJE60 is the coding procedure same for early X1 (late 2016) as it is for the late X1 (yours is 2018 I believe)?

Last question, once I install the bigger display, code it and make it work, then I would like to install the MMI interface from Andream to get Android Auto working on the big screen. Does anybody know if Android Auto/CarPlay will work on the bigger 8.8" screen using the whole display surface?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 02:18 PM   #44
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_K View Post
After reading a lot of posts, I will dare try to replace the 6.5" with the 8.8" CID in my late 2016 X1.
Just to be sure, the HU is the same in the all early X1, they are all ENTRYNAV until 07/2017 when they became ENTRYNAV2? so, the difference between the 6.5" Business Navi and the 8.8" Navi Plus (as BMW calls it) is just the larger display, the HU is the same, it's ENTRYNAV right?

So, I just have to find the proper CID version for my car (using realoem.com), and it is basically comes to swapping the 6.5" with the 8.8" and doing the coding part with the Bimmercode as MJE60 explained.

MJE60 is the coding procedure same for early X1 (late 2016) as it is for the late X1 (yours is 2018 I believe)?

Last question, once I install the bigger display, code it and make it work, then I would like to install the MMI interface from Andream to get Android Auto working on the big screen. Does anybody know if Android Auto/CarPlay will work on the bigger 8.8" screen using the whole display surface?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Coding should be the same. I cannot help with screen layout on android auto as I have not used. Good luck, the screen upgrade is well worth doing.
Appreciate 0