BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tire Rotation for FWD?

02-11-2019, 04:46 AM   #1
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Tire Rotation for FWD?

My car has done around 10k kms with the first service due. Workshop people say there's no need to rotate the tires. I disagree because my car is not AWD. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
My car has done around 10k kms with the first service due. Workshop people say there's no need to rotate the tires. I disagree because my car is not AWD. What do you guys think?
Hi
Unless there is a contrary recommendation in the handbook (BMW just say it is possible but seek advice) then the the advice, almost universally, regardless whether front, rear or all wheel drive, is best tyres (tires in USA) on the rear. Tyrefitting companies will normally insist on putting two new tyres on the rear. The reason is that it is easier to recover loss of front wheel grip when driving than loss of rear wheel grip. Also, front tyres usually have heavier load and therefore better grip in normal driving conditions. Tyre manufacturers and some national safety, have done significant research on this area and whilst there are benefits and disadvantages for having better tyre on front versus rear, depending on car drive train and road conditions, the clincher is that it is normally easier to stabilise loss of grip on the front than the rear.

So, the X1 is primarily, or for sdrive exclusively, front wheel drive (xdrive on X1 is a part time system) which given engine weight and steering means that front wheel tyre wear will normally be significantly greater than rear. It would therefore not be recommended to switch front tyres with greater wear to the rear of the car. Whilst tyre rotation used to be popular with the argument it balanced the wear of tyres it is no longer regarded as good practice by tyre manufacturers (for the reasons given earlier). As a final point, tyre rotation does not slow tyre wear so it does not save money (at best you end up with 4 tyres needing replacement at same time rather than just two) and once tyres pass certain tread depth (do not let them get below 2mm / 3/32” regardless of legal minimum) replace them.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-11-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

With staggered tires of course no rotation...but since radial tires came in...(my first were on my 67 Alfa GTV) I've always rotated front to back every 5K miles...you get better life from that process....
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      02-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
If you think about it, any FWD/AWD vehicle has more mass on the front end. Since the front tires are doing the majority of the driving, braking and steering, they will wear more rapidly than the rear tires. If you follow the advice to put the tires with the most tread on the rear, you will never rotate your tires, because the rear tires will always more tread. IMO, this recommendation is nonsense and should never be followed. Do what Spitpilot suggested and rotate the tires front to rear (not across) every 5-7k kms, or perhaps once or twice per year, depending on how much you drive your vehicles. If you follow this advice, the tires will wear out as a set and you will be able to replace them as a set.
Appreciate 2
ttimbo280.00
      02-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
With staggered tires of course no rotation...but since radial tires came in...(my first were on my 67 Alfa GTV) I've always rotated front to back every 5K miles...you get better life from that process....
I agree

And, with a front heavy, FWD or FWD-biased AWD like the X1, the idea that more worn front tyres might be safer in, for example, wet conditions is nonsensical.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:09 AM   #6
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
I agree

And, with a front heavy, FWD or FWD-biased AWD like the X1, the idea that more worn front tyres might be safer in, for example, wet conditions is nonsensical.
My car is sDrive and not xDrive. So should I do 4 wheel rotation?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:54 AM   #7
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

I rotated mine with only 9000 km after almost 2 years, as I do in all my cars.
The authorized service point did as I asked.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I agree

Wow, this gets interesting

According to some European tyre manufacturers* and a number of national safety agencies (like ADAC in Germany) in Europe. They now say it is proven , after extensive skid and other testing, that it is normally easier to stabilise loss of front tire grip than on rear. I accept this is a long-standing, regular and often debated topic so I went and re-read posted “key findings” of the detailed recent research Michelin, ADAC and others have done. They list the results for front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and all wheel drive in various conditions. Suggest you all check it out online. I provide one link, there are others

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-articl...r-test-results

Obviously the general advice is try keep good tyres all round and try never to loose grip but if you do, they say it is nearly always easier to stabilise the loss of grip on the front than the rear and for this reason they now say best tyres on the rear. This advice is now regularly repeated on European websites, for example the AA (automobile assoc in U.K.) and many tyre fitting companies say best tyres on rear. Some extend clarification by stating worn tyres puncture more easily and a slow puncture can be better handled on a front tyre than a rear tyre.
If best tyres should be on the rear, logic dictates, you have to stop rotating tyres because the fronts on nearly every type of car will wear more quickly than the rear. That is why a number of tire fitting companies in Europe also state it is no longer regarded as good practice to rotate tires. Although the U.K. tyre association still refers to the benefits of doing so.

* -> However (wtf), it would appear the USA Tire association and a number of other countries (yes including Australia), still recommend rotating tires. There is little or no reference to front versus rear stability, just reference to even tire wear. It would appear that it is not just bimmerpost members who disagree on this topic.

I used to rotate my tyres and understand why people do it. I stopped rotating them after I was told (by at least two national tyre fitting companies here in the UK) it was not good practice and the reasons why. Although I was still doubtful after initially being told about the “new thinking” I spent a good few hours over a number of days reading and researching. I always bought new tyres well before they reach 3/32” tread depth and always bought the best tyres I could afford for my car (grip and handling) regardless of price but now I don’t rotate them anymore. Confession, I am even in a minority in the U.K., I have a set of winter tyres.

I have posted this despite hating to challenge the valid opinion of someone else but I think there is a real safety issue here and am genuinely confused as to why such differing advice appears between USA, Oz and Europe or between tyre companies. Is europe leading the way on road safety? Are some associations just out to make cash by providing a rotating service? Does tyre rotation improve safety because you regular remove the tyres and can fully inspect them? Does keeping tyre wear evenly balanced across a car mean that if you lose grip it will be more serious compared to trying to maintain rear grip/stability? Any ideas?

Last edited by MJE60; 02-12-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Tire Rotation for FWD?

Indeed, it is interesting.

First of all, my approach always is to rotate tyres regularly to maintain even wear and replace as a full set. None of the research suggests this is incorrect and this is always the first point I make on this issue. So anything else is really second best and a safety compromise.

Secondly, once you read the details of the research you discover that none of them is unequivocal: the vehicle may perform better (more safely) in some situations with new tyres on the rear, and in others with new tyres on the front. The TCS tests, in particular, illustrate this and for the road situations that most Australian motorists encounter, it is clear to me the balance of outcomes favours fitting new tyres to the front.

Finally — and it is only the TCS tests that reflect this — modern safety equipment such as ESP and ABS systems plays a big (perhaps bigger part) in the whole issue but again especially seem to tip the balance in favour of fitting best tyres to the front.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Indeed, it is interesting.

First of all, my approach always is to rotate tyres regularly to maintain even wear and replace as a full set. None of the research suggests this is incorrect and this is always the first point I make on this issue. So anything else is really second best and a safety compromise.

Secondly, once you read the details of the research you discover that none of them is unequivocal: the vehicle may perform better (more safely) in some situations with new tyres on the rear, and in others with new tyres on the front. The TCS tests, in particular, illustrate this and for the road situations that most Australian motorists encounter, it is clear to me the balance of outcomes favours fitting new tyres to the front.

Finally — and it is only the TCS tests that reflect this — modern safety equipment such as ESP and ABS systems plays a big (perhaps bigger part) in the whole issue but again especially seem to tip the balance in favour of fitting best tyres to the front.
Anyone has a guide on 4 wheel rotation? Also what about the Tyre sensors? Does that need calibration?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #11
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

The owners handbook for the X1 has all the info you need, notwithstanding that the principal recommendation is that you switch wheels back to front on the same side and NOT diagonally.
When you change any tyre pressures, you must reset the TPMS and you can do this easily via the iDrive screen (Vehicle Settings). Again, the precise instructions are in the owners handbook.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #12
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Also, bear in mind that if you have asymmetrical/directional tyres fitted, you cannot swap them from side to side/diagonally
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:02 AM   #13
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also, bear in mind that if you have asymmetrical/directional tyres fitted, you cannot swap them from side to side/diagonally
How to find out?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:28 AM   #14
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How to find out?
Usually marked on the outside of the tyre — arrow indicating "Direction of Rotation"
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #15
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Rotate front to rear, not across. Do this every 7k-10k kms or once/twice per year, such that the tires with the most tread are on the front.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
Quote:
Yes, absolutely. Rotate front to rear, not across. Do this every 7k-10k kms or once/twice per year, such that the tires with the most tread are on the front.
So front to rear and rear to front without any cross???
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:53 AM   #18
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Quote:
Correct.
Ok what about TPMS sensors? Will they automatically get calibrated to their new positions?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:33 AM   #19
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correct.
Ok what about TPMS sensors? Will they automatically get calibrated to their new positions?
Well, obviously as you've moved the rear tyres to the front, you'll need to ensure tyre pressures are correctly altered per the door placard. After you've done that, recalibrate the TPMS per the owners manual/iDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:40 AM   #20
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correct.
Well, obviously as you've moved the rear tyres to the front, you'll need to ensure tyre pressures are correctly altered per the door placard. After you've done that, recalibrate the TPMS per the owners manual/iDrive
No I mean for example front right tyre goes to rear right, so how does the sensor update its positioning on the display?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #21
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You have to reset the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #22
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No I mean for example front right tyre goes to rear right, so how does the sensor update its positioning on the display?
After resetting, the locations are updated.
Appreciate 0