BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Evolution Racewerks Competition Series 4" Catless Downpipe For B46 Bmw X1/x2

01-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Talking Evolution Racewerks Competition Series 4" Catless Downpipe For B46 Bmw X1/x2

Introducing our new Competition Series 4" Downpipes for your BMW B46 four cylinder turbo engine! Fits all 2016+ X1/X2, Mini Cooper S, Clubman, Cabrio and Countryman. The B46 engine is found in all U.S. spec cars. The downpipe is different than the B48 found in the EU / Asia spec cars. You must get the correct downpipe for your car as they are not interchangeable.

Key Features:
  • Now available for the 2015+ BMW X1/x2 B46 Engine!
  • Now available for the 2015+ Mini Cooper S, Clubman, Cabrio and Countryman.
  • Horsepower gains of 14 to 16whp average (gains will vary based on modifications of your vehicle).
  • Higher Max Horsepower Power Curve
  • Torque gains of 20 wtq average (stock boost) up to over 24 wtq (Software upgrade) (gains will vary based on modifications of your vehicle).
  • Higher Intial Torque Curve. Torque curve hits faster and higher and longer.
  • Better throttle response and faster turbo spool up times.
  • Mandrel Bent 4" piping. Smooth transition to the exhaust system.
  • 100% Stainless Steel Construction
  • 100% TIG welded for better quality welds
  • Precision CNC machined turbocharger V-Band flange.
  • Stainless steel flex section like factory that allows proper exhaust movement and flexibility.
  • Mirror polish or brush finish
  • Available with high temperature black thermal coating to reduce underhood temperatures.
  • Optional - Additional O2 sensor bung for wideband O2 sensors (comes with pre-installed plug)
  • Optional EGT sensor bung for EGT gauges (comes with pre-installed plug)
  • Retains all factory heatshields.
  • Compatible with the factory or aftermarket exhaust systems.
  • Track tested durability.
  • Includes all hardware for complete installation.
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Restrictions in the exhaust system robs horsepower and torque especially on turbocharged cars. Thus, removing as much exhaust flow restrictions will increase horsepower and torque significantly. The factory catalytic converter found in the factory downpipe is a big culprit of this and is a major exhaust flow restriction. The factory catalytic converter is made up of catalyst material formed into "honeycomb" weaves. Exhaust gas must pass through these tiny "honeycomb" weaves on their way to the exhaust system thus causing a major exhaust flow restriction. It also causes turbulence after the catalytic converter which causes the exhaust flow to slow down (which increases restriction). By replacing the factory downpipe/catalytic converter with our Competition Series 4" Catless Downpipe, more power is unleashed! Our dyno testing has shown around 14-16whp average peak gains and upwards of 24wtq peak gains! While peak horsepower is nice to look at on dyno charts, what's more important is the power curve. If you look at the dyno charts, torque hits MUCH earlier and harder. The torque curve is BROADER throughout the RPM band. More usable power. You have more time spent in the RPM band with higher horsepower and torque. This equates to faster turbo spool up (less turbocharger lag) and better throttle response. Bottom line, faster. You will feel the difference instantly.

Our Competition Series Catless Downpipes is constructed out of 100% 304 grade stainless steel and utilize mandrel bent piping. They are 100% TIG welded by our in house fabricators and built in the USA. The factory turbocharger turbine housing utilizes a 4" V-Band flange which we have duplicated and CNC machined cut out of billet 304 stainless steel. Stainless Steel CNC machined O2 sensor and laser cut brackets are TIG welded using stainless steel rods. The O2 sensor is positioned at the factory location. The factory turbocharger outlet is 4". Many of our competitors machine a 4" outlet v-band to match the factory, but have a 3" opening at the flange so that they could use 3" piping to save money on manufacturing. This causes a "step" at the worst place possible, at the turbocharger outlet. Our downpipe features a 4" inlet on the downpipe and 4" piping. We reduce it further away from the turbocharger outlet. This results in less exhaust turbulence and backpressure which again improves throttle response and increase turbocharger spool times (less turbocharger lag).

The factory downpipe utilizes a flex bellow section that allows the exhaust system to move. This eliminates undue stress on the exhaust components like the exhaust system, downpipe, turbocharger and exhaust manifold. Many of our competitors do not feel it is important to keep this. While you do not see any adverse affects right away, over time, the stresses caused by not having a flex section and having a rigid exhaust system will cause premature wear and tear. Any stress failures like cracks will form quicker than usual on exhaust manifolds and exhaust components. Also, without a flex section, the exhaust system cannot properly deflect impact. Especially on lowered cars, whenever the exhaust system contacts the ground, the entire system gets pushed up. Without a flex, you can imagine how much stress is put into exhaust components like the exhaust manifold when the exhaust is pushed upwards. We fully understand that durability of our products is important. Thus, like BMW, we incorporate a flex section into our downpipe. Our flex sections are 100% stainless steel (cheap flex sections only have stainless steel center braids and steel caps) to ensure corrosion resistance.

OPTIONS

Ceramic Thermal Coating - The purpose of ceramic coating downpipes is to keep heat from the exhaust gases inside the downpipe from radiating out. This keeps underhood temperatures lower and less heat absortion by nearby parts/surfaces. Another added benefit is that by keeping in heat (energy) in the exhaust gases inside the downpipe, exhaust flow velocities stay up, resulting in lower backpressure. The ceramic coating also adds additonal corrosion resistance. We utilize the best ceramic coating possible. Our thermal coating can resist up to 2000F of heat. It is available in black only (all the other colors cannot withstand heat that high).

Additional O2 Sensor Bung - An additional O2 sensor bung can be added so that you can easily add a wideband o2 sensor and gauges so that you can monitor air/fuel ratios. The additional O2 sensor bung will come pre-installed with a plug so that you do not need to run the o2 sensor right away.

Optional EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) Bung - An additional 1/8" NPT bung can be added so that you can easily add a EGT sensor and gauge. The optional EGT sensor bung will come pre-installed with a plug so that you do not need to run the EGT sensor right away.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Fantastic! What's the dB level like w/o Cats? Does it sound raspy at any range of the RPM? I assume a CEL will come on w/o a tune?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Group buy anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:59 AM   #4
Xtiano87
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Are there any dyno plots available to show performance improvements with this downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ventjock sent me this two piece catted version that will be available also.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper 1 View Post

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2u5sxur.jpg[/IMG]
Nice
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper 1 View Post

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2u5sxur.jpg[/IMG]
Nice
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
I'm calling BS on this:
Quote:
Another added benefit is that by keeping in heat (energy) in the exhaust gases inside the downpipe, exhaust flow velocities stay up, resulting in lower backpressure.
This is complete nonsense. The place where heat energy needs to be retained is upstream of the turbine, not downstream. This downpipe has nothing to do with upstream. I'm not saying there isn't a benefit of keeping heat energy inside the downpipe for keeping engine compartment temperature down, but that's another matter.

Last edited by bimmerdriver2; 03-10-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
I'm calling BS on this:
Quote:
Another added benefit is that by keeping in heat (energy) in the exhaust gases inside the downpipe, exhaust flow velocities stay up, resulting in lower backpressure.
This is complete nonsense. The place where heat energy needs to be retained is upstream of the turbine, not downstream. This downpipe has nothing to do with upstream. I'm not saying there is a benefit of keeping heat energy inside the downpipe for keeping engine compartment temperature down, but that's another matter.
Agreed. Larger diameter piping will lower back pressure, not heat in this case
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
bpalces
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 XDRIVE 28i

Has anyone here bought and installed this? Seems like this is the only dp for the F48.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:44 PM   #11
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalces View Post
Has anyone here bought and installed this? Seems like this is the only dp for the F48.
Ventjock did. Hopefully, he'll be able to provide some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 04:27 AM   #12
bpalces
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808X1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalces View Post
Ventjock did. Hopefully, he'll be able to provide some feedback.
Interested to hear this 👍🏼.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #13
Ion619
Ion L.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i & 2018 X1 & 2016 X1

If we install the DP now, we don't have worry about smog for 5 or 7 years?
      05-03-2019, 05:36 AM   #14
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Here’s a video of the CATTED DP from ER. I’m loving it. It’s still throwing some random CELs but I also installed an O2 sim and I think that’s the issue
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #15
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post

Here's a video of the CATTED DP from ER. I'm loving it. It's still throwing some random CELs but I also installed an O2 sim and I think that's the issue
Do you have any reving sound clips? Sounds like a cold start?

I believe you can remove the CEL with the JB4+ program.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #16
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Here’s a video of the CATTED DP from ER. I’m loving it. It’s still throwing some random CELs but I also installed an O2 sim and I think that’s the issue
I agree we need some rev videos. And maybe one under load like driving away.

You are getting CEL even with the catted setup? Interesting, I would think that since its catted you should be fine no?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #17
bpalces
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proper View Post
Quote:

You are getting CEL even with the catted setup? Interesting, I would think that since its catted you should be fine no?
Revving and driving clips would be great. Also was it a hard install even with the 2 piece dp?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808X1 View Post
Do you have any reving sound clips? Sounds like a cold start?

I believe you can remove the CEL with the JB4+ program.
I will hopefully post some revs this weekend. And correct that is a cold start.

I’ve removed the CEL with the JB4 but they reappear. Shows the car is running lean. I’m going to have the car looked at for any potential leaks, but I haven’t noticed many changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #19
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I checked around and even with a hi-flow cat CELs are fairly common.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #20
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've removed the CEL with the JB4 but they reappear. Shows the car is running lean. I'm going to have the car looked at for any potential leaks, but I haven't noticed many changes.
Contact JB4. They can disable the CAT CEL, but if it says you're running lean, then I would agree that you should check for leaks and make sure you're running the correct Octane for the Tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #21
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I checked around and even with a hi-flow cat CELs are fairly common.
What's your review on the DP paired with the JB4? Also were you able to get a video up under load?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #22
Proper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Vent, any updates?
Appreciate 0