BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Bimmercode, Esys - Coding Effect Delay?

02-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Bimmercode, Esys - Coding Effect Delay?

Hi
I recently upgraded my F48 6.5” touch display to BMW oem 8.8” display.

I have placed the 4 Bimmercode coding changes including locations on two separate threads but after these 4 coding changes was still puzzling whether further coding was needed to change what was my factory SA6UN (basic/business nav) to SA6UP (nav plus). BMW have bundled larger screen, touch controller and HUD into one package but I had only upgraded the screen and found that arrow display was still showing on idrive as an option and working yet a new option (split screen) whilst now showing on the idrive menu could not be selected. (Arrow view is 6.5” screen feature but 8.8” has a split screen preview instead).

As Bimmercode only allows fdl rather than VO coding, I had assumed there must be another configuration option lurking in the ecu that I had not found. As an example the breites “wide” screen change in “display variante” heading is needed to display 3 icons on the home screen, instead of the two on the 6.5” screen but 8.8” screen will work without this coding.

Anyhow (yeh - finally gets to the point), today, the idrive appears to have updated/reset itself as the arrow display option in nav has disappeared and the split screen option can be selected and works. My conclusion is that my coding changes, whilst working immediately in recognising new hardware, have taken approx a week before being fully (worked immediately for some aspects) enabled and feeding through to software configuration and operation. This delay may however be purely down to how long the system was working or where coding changes are made. I had been on a long journey the day before so the system was on for several hours continuously and the car will have been in longer or better contact with gsm towers.
Any thoughts? Has anyone else found that coding changes have a time delay? Do some coding changes need a software reboot/update to take effect? I am relatively new to coding and had not found this stated on the limited threads I have read.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-09-2019 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0